In 1936, the DSB Kongress organized a training tournament to be held in Dresden, Germany from June 7-14. Four German players were pitted against six European masters, including the former world champion. Alekhine triumphed, though not with the usual dominance that might have been expected. This victory was one of many he earned in his interim between world titles to assert himself as the world's strongest player and eventually earn a rematch with Max Euwe.
The final standings and crosstable:
Original collection: Game Collection: Dresden 1936, by User: suenteus po 147.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
1 Alekhine * 0 ½ ½ 1 ½ 1 1 1 1 6½
2 Engels 1 * 1 ½ 0 ½ ½ 1 1 ½ 6
=3 Maróczy ½ 0 * 1 1 ½ 0 1 ½ 1 5½
=3 Ståhlberg ½ ½ 0 * 0 ½ 1 1 1 1 5½
5 Bogoljubow 0 1 0 1 * 1 ½ 0 ½ 1 5
=6 Rödl ½ ½ ½ ½ 0 * ½ ½ ½ 1 4½
=6 Sämisch 0 ½ 1 0 ½ ½ * 1 0 1 4½
=8 Helling 0 0 0 0 1 ½ 0 * 1 1 3½
=8 Keres 0 0 ½ 0 ½ ½ 1 0 * 1 3½
10 Grob 0 ½ 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 * ½
| page 2 of 2; games 26-45 of 45
|26. Grob vs K Helling
|27. L Engels vs Saemisch
|| ||½-½||32||1936||Dresden||A28 English|
|28. Bogoljubov vs Stahlberg
|| ||1-0||78||1936||Dresden||D11 Queen's Gambit Declined Slav|
|29. Maroczy vs L Roedl
|30. Keres vs Alekhine
||0-1||75||1936||Dresden||E33 Nimzo-Indian, Classical|
|31. Saemisch vs Maroczy
|| ||1-0||26||1936||Dresden||D08 Queen's Gambit Declined, Albin Counter Gambit|
|32. Stahlberg vs Grob
|| ||1-0||37||1936||Dresden||E60 King's Indian Defense|
|33. L Roedl vs Keres
|| ||½-½||80||1936||Dresden||C79 Ruy Lopez, Steinitz Defense Deferred|
|34. Alekhine vs Bogoljubov
||1-0||44||1936||Dresden||C46 Three Knights|
|35. K Helling vs L Engels
||0-1||38||1936||Dresden||A45 Queen's Pawn Game|
|36. Maroczy vs K Helling
|37. Keres vs Saemisch
|| ||1-0||57||1936||Dresden||E38 Nimzo-Indian, Classical, 4...c5|
|38. Alekhine vs L Roedl
|| ||½-½||27||1936||Dresden||D41 Queen's Gambit Declined, Semi-Tarrasch|
|39. Bogoljubov vs Grob
||1-0||25||1936||Dresden||E94 King's Indian, Orthodox|
|40. L Engels vs Stahlberg
|| ||½-½||27||1936||Dresden||E48 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3 O-O 5.Bd3 d5|
|41. Stahlberg vs Maroczy
||0-1||28||1936||Dresden||D17 Queen's Gambit Declined Slav|
|42. Grob vs L Engels
||½-½||34||1936||Dresden||B72 Sicilian, Dragon|
|43. K Helling vs Keres
||1-0||37||1936||Dresden||D02 Queen's Pawn Game|
|44. Saemisch vs Alekhine
|45. L Roedl vs Bogoljubov
|| ||0-1||38||1936||Dresden||E83 King's Indian, Samisch|
| page 2 of 2; games 26-45 of 45
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC