Eight of the world's top non-Soviet players assembled in Lugano, Switzerland, for a peaceful double-round tournament from March 1-20, 1970. Using the estimated ratings from Chessmetrics, it was a Category XVI event with an average rating of 2632. Enjoying the scenery were: Robert Eugene Byrne,
Jan Hein Donner, Svetozar Gligoric,
Larsen may have been concentrating more on the board than the scenery, as he won his first five games to take a two-point lead. This looked to be insurmountable, as this was one of those events when having no weak players leads to conservative play. 67% of the games were drawn, and three players were unable to win a single game. Of the 19 decisive games, nearly half involved Larsen.
He was able to make it interesting with a couple of losses in the second half, which allowed Olafsson to get within a half-point with three rounds to go. However, Olafsson took a quick draw with White in their twelfth round game, which essentially decided matters. In the last three rounds the only decisive game was Larsen's win over Byrne, consigning the American to fifth place.
For Larsen, another in his great run of tournament wins around this time. Olafsson held onto an easy second, followed by Gligoric and Unzicker. The German deserves a special mention; after losing his first two games, his ascent to =3rd included wins over Larsen and Olafsson.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1 Larsen *** 1 ½ 1 0 1 0 ½ 1 1 ½ 1 1 ½ ½ 9½
2 Olafsson 0 ½ *** 1 0 ½ ½ 1 ½ ½ 1 1 ½ ½ 1 8½
3 Unzicker 0 1 0 1 *** ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ 1 ½ 7½
4 Gligoric 0 1 ½ ½ ½ ½ *** ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ 1 7½
5 Byrne ½ 0 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ *** ½ ½ ½ ½ 1 1 7
6 Szabo 0 ½ ½ 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ *** ½ ½ ½ ½ 6
7 Kavalek 0 0 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ *** ½ ½ 5½
8 Donner ½ ½ ½ 0 0 ½ ½ 0 0 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ *** 4½
Original collection: Game Collection: Lugano 1970, by
User: Phony Benoni.
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 56
|1. Robert E Byrne vs F Olafsson
|| ||½-½||14||1970||Lugano||B02 Alekhine's Defense|
|2. Robert E Byrne vs Unzicker
|| ||½-½||17||1970||Lugano||C11 French|
|3. Kavalek vs Gligoric
|| ||½-½||39||1970||Lugano||D86 Grunfeld, Exchange|
|4. Unzicker vs F Olafsson
|| ||1-0||36||1970||Lugano||E56 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Main line with 7...Nc6|
|5. J H Donner vs Robert E Byrne
|| ||0-1||40||1970||Lugano||A10 English|
|6. Larsen vs Unzicker
||0-1||45||1970||Lugano||C28 Vienna Game|
|7. Gligoric vs Robert E Byrne
|| ||½-½||39||1970||Lugano||E97 King's Indian|
|8. F Olafsson vs J H Donner
|| ||1-0||31||1970||Lugano||A09 Reti Opening|
|9. Larsen vs J H Donner
|| ||½-½||54||1970||Lugano||B31 Sicilian, Rossolimo Variation|
|10. Kavalek vs Unzicker
|| ||½-½||51||1970||Lugano||C81 Ruy Lopez, Open, Howell Attack|
|11. F Olafsson vs Robert E Byrne
|| ||1-0||42||1970||Lugano||E64 King's Indian, Fianchetto, Yugoslav System|
|12. J H Donner vs Kavalek
|| ||½-½||41||1970||Lugano||E67 King's Indian, Fianchetto|
|13. Robert E Byrne vs Larsen
|| ||½-½||78||1970||Lugano||C41 Philidor Defense|
|14. Gligoric vs J H Donner
|| ||1-0||46||1970||Lugano||E92 King's Indian|
|15. Larsen vs Kavalek
||1-0||33||1970||Lugano||A01 Nimzovich-Larsen Attack|
|16. Unzicker vs Kavalek
|| ||½-½||32||1970||Lugano||E62 King's Indian, Fianchetto|
|17. J H Donner vs Larsen
|| ||½-½||17||1970||Lugano||E54 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Gligoric System|
|18. F Olafsson vs Gligoric
|| ||½-½||13||1970||Lugano||E66 King's Indian, Fianchetto, Yugoslav Panno|
|19. Larsen vs Robert E Byrne
||1-0||24||1970||Lugano||B80 Sicilian, Scheveningen|
|20. Kavalek vs J H Donner
|| ||½-½||35||1970||Lugano||C14 French, Classical|
|21. Robert E Byrne vs Kavalek
|| ||½-½||16||1970||Lugano||D90 Grunfeld|
|22. F Olafsson vs Larsen
|| ||½-½||18||1970||Lugano||E16 Queen's Indian|
|23. Gligoric vs Unzicker
|| ||½-½||20||1970||Lugano||E55 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Gligoric System, Bronstein Variation|
|24. Szabo vs Robert E Byrne
|| ||½-½||65||1970||Lugano||E70 King's Indian|
|25. Larsen vs Gligoric
||0-1||45||1970||Lugano||E97 King's Indian|
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 56
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC