The 37th Swiss Championship, held in Zurich, Switzerland from July 14th to the 28th, 1934 ... [more]
Player: Emanuel Lasker
| page 1 of 1; 15 games
|1. Euwe vs Lasker
||0-1||50||1934||Zurich||D51 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|2. Lasker vs Flohr
|3. Grob vs Lasker
||0-1||40||1934||Zurich||C84 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|4. Lasker vs F Gygli
|5. Stahlberg vs Lasker
||1-0||45||1934||Zurich||D41 Queen's Gambit Declined, Semi-Tarrasch|
|6. Lasker vs W Henneberger
||1-0||41||1934||Zurich||E21 Nimzo-Indian, Three Knights|
|7. O Bernstein vs Lasker
||0-1||44||1934||Zurich||C14 French, Classical|
|8. Lasker vs Bogoljubov
|9. S Rosselli del Turco vs Lasker
||0-1||63||1934||Zurich||D05 Queen's Pawn Game|
|10. Lasker vs Nimzowitsch
||0-1||65||1934||Zurich||C17 French, Winawer, Advance|
|11. H Johner vs Lasker
||½-½||47||1934||Zurich||D61 Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox, Rubinstein Attack|
|12. Alekhine vs Lasker
||1-0||26||1934||Zurich||D67 Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox Defense, Bd3 line|
|13. Lasker vs H Mueller
|14. O Naegeli vs Lasker
||0-1||27||1934||Zurich||E16 Queen's Indian|
|15. Lasker vs H Joss
|Dec-23-12|| ||Conrad93: 11 losses and 4 draws? That's just sad.|
|May-14-14|| ||RookFile: Where was Capa?|
|May-14-14|| ||RedShield: Ducking Alekhine.|
|May-14-14|| ||perfidious: Nearing the end of a three-year period in which he did not play, after his match with Euwe at the end of 1931, which came to an end with his participation at the Hastings event of 1934-35.|
No idea whether he received an invitation to this tournament, although I am sure there are those who would be able to answer that question. In view of the poor relations between Alekhine and Capa following Buenos Aires, it would not be at all surprising to learn that Capablanca was not invited.
|May-05-17|| ||thegoodanarchist: Flohr finished ahead of Bogo, Lasker and Nimzo!|
Flohr is underrated, maybe
|Oct-24-17|| ||MissScarlett: <After the tournament, Lasker said: "Alekhine's attacking genius has no equal in the history of the game".>|
|Oct-24-17|| ||zanzibar: Apocryphal?
<(cur | prev) 08:29, 23 November 2007 Gabodon (talk | contribs) m . . (32,564 bytes) (+105) . . (→Notable chess games: Added a comment by Emanuel Lasker.) (undo)>
|Oct-24-17|| ||zanzibar: Looking at <AZquote> I only found this Lasker quote mentioning genius:|
<I have known many chess players, but among them there has been only one genius - Capablanca!
Of course <AZquote> doesn't mention sources.
|Oct-06-18|| ||goser: Despite the loss to Euwe, Zurich 1934 should be listed among Alekhine's greatest tournament achievements alongside with San Remo and Bled: 12 wins in 15 games of such a strong tournament was an impressive achievement!|
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC