For the 17th renewal of hostilities at Hastings from December 28, 1936 to January 6, 1937, the organizers brought in a former world champion and a top contender for the crown to lead this group of contestants:|
George Alan Thomas,
Alekhine was set on proving he was not a spent force, and got off to a great start. After seven rounds, he had 6.5 points and was three points clear of the field--except for Fine, who had won all seven.
Their eighth round game was a nerve-wracker, and the more experienced Alekhine was the survivor. He then hung on to his lead when both players drew in the last round despite having good losing chances.
Hastings (1937/38) was the 18th Christmas festival.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 Pts
1 Alekhine * 1 ½ 1 1 1 1 ½ 1 1 8.0
2 Fine 0 * 1 ½ 1 1 1 1 1 1 7.5
3 Eliskases ½ 0 * ½ ½ 1 1 ½ ½ 1 5.5
4 Vidmar 0 ½ ½ * 0 ½ ½ 1 ½ 1 4.5
5 Feigin 0 0 ½ 1 * 0 1 1 ½ ½ 4.5
6 Tylor 0 0 0 ½ 1 * ½ 0 ½ 1 3.5
7 Winter 0 0 0 ½ 0 ½ * 1 1 ½ 3.5
8 Koltanowski ½ 0 ½ 0 0 1 0 * ½ ½ 3.0
9 Menchik 0 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ 0 ½ * 0 2.5
10 Thomas 0 0 0 0 ½ 0 ½ ½ 1 * 2.5
Original collection: Game Collection: Hastings 1936/37, by User: Phony Benoni.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. E Eliskases vs Fine
||0-1||35||1936||Hastings 1936/37||E34 Nimzo-Indian, Classical, Noa Variation|
|2. M Feigin vs Alekhine
||0-1||95||1936||Hastings 1936/37||E33 Nimzo-Indian, Classical|
|3. Menchik vs G A Thomas
|| ||0-1||34||1936||Hastings 1936/37||D30 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|4. Vidmar vs Koltanowski
|| ||1-0||46||1936||Hastings 1936/37||D82 Grunfeld, 4.Bf4|
|5. W Winter vs Tylor
|| ||½-½||32||1936||Hastings 1936/37||A13 English|
|6. Tylor vs Menchik
|| ||½-½||30||1936||Hastings 1936/37||C13 French|
|7. Koltanowski vs E Eliskases
|| ||½-½||31||1936||Hastings 1936/37||A47 Queen's Indian|
|8. Fine vs W Winter
||1-0||51||1936||Hastings 1936/37||D40 Queen's Gambit Declined, Semi-Tarrasch|
|9. M Feigin vs G A Thomas
|| ||½-½||52||1936||Hastings 1936/37||D50 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|10. Alekhine vs Vidmar
||1-0||71||1936||Hastings 1936/37||D65 Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox, Rubinstein Attack, Main line|
|11. W Winter vs Koltanowski
||1-0||26||1936||Hastings 1936/37||E72 King's Indian|
|12. Vidmar vs M Feigin
|| ||0-1||33||1936||Hastings 1936/37||D68 Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox Defense, Classical|
|13. G A Thomas vs Tylor
|| ||0-1||41||1936||Hastings 1936/37||D64 Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox, Rubinstein Attack|
|14. Menchik vs Fine
|| ||0-1||35||1936||Hastings 1936/37||D02 Queen's Pawn Game|
|15. E Eliskases vs Alekhine
||½-½||30||1936||Hastings 1936/37||A81 Dutch|
|16. Vidmar vs E Eliskases
|| ||½-½||34||1936||Hastings 1936/37||E19 Queen's Indian, Old Main line, 9.Qxc3|
|17. Tylor vs M Feigin
||1-0||62||1936||Hastings 1936/37||B40 Sicilian|
|18. Koltanowski vs Menchik
||½-½||43||1936||Hastings 1936/37||D04 Queen's Pawn Game|
|19. Fine vs G A Thomas
|| ||1-0||33||1936||Hastings 1936/37||D46 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|20. Alekhine vs W Winter
||1-0||31||1936||Hastings 1936/37||B15 Caro-Kann|
|21. M Feigin vs E Eliskases
|| ||½-½||41||1937||Hastings 1936/37||E37 Nimzo-Indian, Classical|
|22. W Winter vs Vidmar
|| ||½-½||23||1937||Hastings 1936/37||A13 English|
|23. Tylor vs Fine
|| ||0-1||28||1937||Hastings 1936/37||D38 Queen's Gambit Declined, Ragozin Variation|
|24. G A Thomas vs Koltanowski
|| ||½-½||23||1937||Hastings 1936/37||C73 Ruy Lopez, Modern Steinitz Defense|
|25. Menchik vs Alekhine
||0-1||35||1937||Hastings 1936/37||D32 Queen's Gambit Declined, Tarrasch|
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC