To celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Leidsch Schaakgenootschap (LSG, Leiden Chess Club), an attempt was made in 1970 to stage a match between former world champion and honorary member of the LSG, Dr. M. M. Botvinnik, and the would-be world champion Robert James Fischer. Unfortunately, in the end, insurmountable obstacles blocked this interesting plan.
As an almost equally attractive alternative, a match-tournament was organized between the former world champion Botvinnik, the new world champion Boris Spassky, the tournament world champion Bent Larsen and the world champion of the Leidseplein, Hein Donner. The games were played in April and May in the Rijnlands Lyceum (a Dutch high school) in the neighbouring village of Oegstgeest. World champion Spassky won, as he should, and Donner, the local whipping boy, did much better than expected.
Original collection: Game Collection: Oegstgeest 1970, by User: sneaky pete.
1 Spassky **** 1½½½ ½½½½ ½½1½ 7
2 Donner 0½½½ **** ½½½½ 1½½½ 6
=3 Botvinnik ½½½½ ½½½½ **** 01½0 5½
=4 Larsen ½½0½ 0½½½ 10½1 **** 5½
| page 1 of 1; 24 games
|1. Botvinnik vs J H Donner
|| ||½-½||41||1970||Oegstgeest||A07 King's Indian Attack|
|2. Larsen vs Spassky
||½-½||34||1970||Oegstgeest||A01 Nimzovich-Larsen Attack|
|3. Spassky vs J H Donner
|4. Larsen vs Botvinnik
|5. J H Donner vs Larsen
||1-0||23||1970||Oegstgeest||A43 Old Benoni|
|6. Botvinnik vs Spassky
||½-½||25||1970||Oegstgeest||D31 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|7. J H Donner vs Botvinnik
|| ||½-½||28||1970||Oegstgeest||A84 Dutch|
|8. Spassky vs Larsen
|| ||½-½||41||1970||Oegstgeest||B80 Sicilian, Scheveningen|
|9. Botvinnik vs Larsen
||1-0||75||1970||Oegstgeest||E81 King's Indian, Samisch|
|10. J H Donner vs Spassky
|| ||½-½||24||1970||Oegstgeest||A61 Benoni|
|11. Spassky vs Botvinnik
||½-½||65||1970||Oegstgeest||B18 Caro-Kann, Classical|
|12. Larsen vs J H Donner
|| ||½-½||47||1970||Oegstgeest||A00 Uncommon Opening|
|13. Larsen vs Spassky
||0-1||24||1970||Oegstgeest||D27 Queen's Gambit Accepted, Classical|
|14. Botvinnik vs J H Donner
|| ||½-½||33||1970||Oegstgeest||D37 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|15. Spassky vs J H Donner
|| ||½-½||68||1970||Oegstgeest||B99 Sicilian, Najdorf, 7...Be7 Main line|
|16. Larsen vs Botvinnik
|| ||½-½||49||1970||Oegstgeest||B18 Caro-Kann, Classical|
|17. J H Donner vs Larsen
|| ||½-½||43||1970||Oegstgeest||A95 Dutch, Stonewall|
|18. Botvinnik vs Spassky
|19. J H Donner vs Botvinnik
|| ||½-½||47||1970||Oegstgeest||E91 King's Indian|
|20. Spassky vs Larsen
|| ||½-½||36||1970||Oegstgeest||A80 Dutch|
|21. J H Donner vs Spassky
|| ||½-½||31||1970||Oegstgeest||E41 Nimzo-Indian|
|22. Botvinnik vs Larsen
|23. Spassky vs Botvinnik
||½-½||20||1970||Oegstgeest||B18 Caro-Kann, Classical|
|24. Larsen vs J H Donner
||½-½||74||1970||Oegstgeest||C90 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
| page 1 of 1; 24 games
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC