The ninth annual Hastings Chess Congress met at the end of the year of 1928 to conduct a round robin tournament. Ten players were invited to compete, including Frank James Marshall, Sandor Takacs, Edgar Colle, George Alan Thomas, Frederick D Yates, George Marshall Norman, Edward G Sergeant, Reginald Pryce Michell, Victor Berger, and Georges Koltanowski. The new year's tournament saw a three way tie for first among Colle, Marshall, and Takacs.
The final standings and crosstable:
Hastings (1927/28) was the previous annual event of this city, and Hastings (1929/30) the next.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
=1 Colle * 1 1 ½ 0 1 0 ½ 1 1 6
=1 Marshall 0 * ½ ½ 1 1 ½ 1 ½ 1 6
=1 Takacs 0 ½ * 0 1 1 1 ½ 1 1 6
4 Koltanowski ½ ½ 1 * 0 ½ 1 ½ ½ 1 5½
5 Yates 1 0 0 1 * 1 1 ½ ½ 0 5
=6 Michell 0 0 0 ½ 0 * 1 ½ 1 1 4
=6 Sergeant 1 ½ 0 0 0 0 * 1 1 ½ 4
8 Thomas ½ 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ 0 * 0 1 3½
9 Berger 0 ½ 0 ½ ½ 0 0 1 * ½ 3
10 Norman 0 0 0 0 1 0 ½ 0 ½ * 2
Original collection: Game Collection: Hastings 1928/29, by User: suenteus po 147.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. Colle vs V Berger
||1-0||20||1928||Hastings 1928/29||D05 Queen's Pawn Game|
|2. R P Michell vs G A Thomas
|| ||½-½||62||1928||Hastings 1928/29||E60 King's Indian Defense|
|3. E G Sergeant vs G Norman
|| ||½-½||46||1928||Hastings 1928/29||B43 Sicilian, Kan, 5.Nc3|
|4. Marshall vs S Takacs
||½-½||58||1928||Hastings 1928/29||E11 Bogo-Indian Defense|
|5. Yates vs Koltanowski
|| ||1-0||27||1928||Hastings 1928/29||C41 Philidor Defense|
|6. Koltanowski vs Marshall
|| ||½-½||29||1928||Hastings 1928/29||D50 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|7. G A Thomas vs Yates
|| ||½-½||28||1928||Hastings 1928/29||E15 Queen's Indian|
|8. E G Sergeant vs S Takacs
||0-1||24||1928||Hastings 1928/29||B02 Alekhine's Defense|
|9. G Norman vs Colle
|| ||0-1||29||1928||Hastings 1928/29||E34 Nimzo-Indian, Classical, Noa Variation|
|10. V Berger vs R P Michell
|| ||0-1||39||1928||Hastings 1928/29||E11 Bogo-Indian Defense|
|11. Marshall vs G A Thomas
|| ||1-0||30||1928||Hastings 1928/29||C01 French, Exchange|
|12. Colle vs E G Sergeant
|| ||0-1||54||1928||Hastings 1928/29||D05 Queen's Pawn Game|
|13. R P Michell vs G Norman
|| ||1-0||26||1928||Hastings 1928/29||E34 Nimzo-Indian, Classical, Noa Variation|
|14. S Takacs vs Koltanowski
|| ||0-1||46||1928||Hastings 1928/29||E66 King's Indian, Fianchetto, Yugoslav Panno|
|15. Yates vs V Berger
|| ||½-½||21||1928||Hastings 1928/29||B56 Sicilian|
|16. Colle vs R P Michell
|| ||1-0||51||1928||Hastings 1928/29||E36 Nimzo-Indian, Classical|
|17. Koltanowski vs E G Sergeant
|| ||1-0||38||1928||Hastings 1928/29||D62 Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox, Rubinstein Attack|
|18. G Norman vs Yates
|| ||1-0||40||1928||Hastings 1928/29||E32 Nimzo-Indian, Classical|
|19. G A Thomas vs S Takacs
|| ||½-½||85||1928||Hastings 1928/29||B05 Alekhine's Defense, Modern|
|20. V Berger vs Marshall
|| ||½-½||36||1928||Hastings 1928/29||D30 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|21. Marshall vs G Norman
|| ||1-0||21||1928||Hastings 1928/29||E11 Bogo-Indian Defense|
|22. Koltanowski vs G A Thomas
|| ||½-½||27||1928||Hastings 1928/29||E38 Nimzo-Indian, Classical, 4...c5|
|23. E G Sergeant vs R P Michell
|| ||0-1||26||1928||Hastings 1928/29||C77 Ruy Lopez|
|24. S Takacs vs V Berger
|| ||1-0||32||1928||Hastings 1928/29||A14 English|
|25. Yates vs Colle
|| ||1-0||65||1928||Hastings 1928/29||E12 Queen's Indian|
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC