The 32nd Hastings Christmas Chess Festival was held at the end of the year 1956. Ten grandmasters and masters from England, and Western and Eastern Europe were invited to compete in the premier event. The notable participants of this edition included previous Hastings winners Conel Hugh O'Donel Alexander, Svetozar Gligoric, Fridrik Olafsson, Dr. Jonathan Penrose, and Laszlo Szabo. Additionally, 21 year old grandmaster Bent Larsen from Denmark made his Hastings debut, going on to share first place with Gligoric at the final. It was Gligoric's second Hastings title, and he finished here undefeated with +4.
The final standings and crosstable:
The previous annual tournament was Hastings (1955/56), and Hastings (1957/58) was the 33rd Christmas festival.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
=1 Gligoric * ½ 1 1 ½ ½ ½ 1 1 ½ 6½
=1 Larsen ½ * 0 ½ ½ 1 1 1 1 1 6½
=3 Olafsson 0 1 * ½ ½ ½ ½ 1 1 1 6
=3 O'Kelly 0 ½ ½ * 1 ½ 1 1 ½ 1 6
=5 Clarke ½ ½ ½ 0 * ½ 1 ½ ½ ½ 4½
=5 Szabo ½ 0 ½ ½ ½ * ½ ½ ½ 1 4½
7 Toran Albero ½ 0 ½ 0 0 ½ * 1 ½ ½ 3½
8 Horseman 0 0 0 0 ½ ½ 0 * 1 1 3
9 Penrose 0 0 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ 0 * ½ 2½
10 Alexander ½ 0 0 0 ½ 0 ½ 0 ½ * 2
Original collection: Game Collection: Hastings 1956/57, by User: suenteus po 147.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. C H Alexander vs Gligoric
||½-½||40||1956||Hastings 1956/57||C47 Four Knights|
|2. F Olafsson vs J Penrose
||1-0||27||1956||Hastings 1956/57||E50 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3 O-O 5.Nf3, without ...d5|
|3. O'Kelly vs P Clarke
|| ||1-0||36||1956||Hastings 1956/57||A24 English, Bremen System with ...g6|
|4. R Toran Albero vs Larsen
||0-1||55||1956||Hastings 1956/57||A89 Dutch, Leningrad, Main Variation with Nc6|
|5. Szabo vs D Horseman
|| ||½-½||48||1956||Hastings 1956/57||A17 English|
|6. J Penrose vs C H Alexander
|| ||½-½||26||1956||Hastings 1956/57||C42 Petrov Defense|
|7. P Clarke vs R Toran Albero
||1-0||22||1956||Hastings 1956/57||B93 Sicilian, Najdorf, 6.f4|
|8. D Horseman vs Gligoric
|| ||0-1||40||1956||Hastings 1956/57||C29 Vienna Gambit|
|9. Larsen vs F Olafsson
|| ||0-1||41||1956||Hastings 1956/57||A30 English, Symmetrical|
|10. Szabo vs O'Kelly
|| ||½-½||25||1956||Hastings 1956/57||A30 English, Symmetrical|
|11. F Olafsson vs P Clarke
|| ||½-½||43||1956||Hastings 1956/57||D41 Queen's Gambit Declined, Semi-Tarrasch|
|12. C H Alexander vs Larsen
||0-1||40||1956||Hastings 1956/57||B96 Sicilian, Najdorf|
|13. Gligoric vs J Penrose
|| ||1-0||41||1956||Hastings 1956/57||D11 Queen's Gambit Declined Slav|
|14. R Toran Albero vs Szabo
|| ||½-½||20||1956||Hastings 1956/57||B13 Caro-Kann, Exchange|
|15. O'Kelly vs D Horseman
|| ||1-0||29||1956||Hastings 1956/57||E43 Nimzo-Indian, Fischer Variation|
|16. O'Kelly vs R Toran Albero
|| ||1-0||42||1956||Hastings 1956/57||C99 Ruy Lopez, Closed, Chigorin, 12...cd|
|17. D Horseman vs J Penrose
||1-0||57||1956||Hastings 1956/57||A26 English|
|18. P Clarke vs C H Alexander
|| ||½-½||30||1956||Hastings 1956/57||E69 King's Indian, Fianchetto, Classical Main line|
|19. Larsen vs Gligoric
|| ||½-½||22||1956||Hastings 1956/57||E66 King's Indian, Fianchetto, Yugoslav Panno|
|20. Szabo vs F Olafsson
|| ||½-½||23||1956||Hastings 1956/57||C86 Ruy Lopez, Worrall Attack|
|21. Gligoric vs P Clarke
|| ||½-½||41||1957||Hastings 1956/57||E59 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Main line|
|22. R Toran Albero vs D Horseman
|| ||1-0||59||1957||Hastings 1956/57||A21 English|
|23. F Olafsson vs O'Kelly
|| ||½-½||47||1957||Hastings 1956/57||A15 English|
|24. J Penrose vs Larsen
||0-1||21||1957||Hastings 1956/57||B10 Caro-Kann|
|25. C H Alexander vs Szabo
|| ||0-1||54||1957||Hastings 1956/57||B16 Caro-Kann, Bronstein-Larsen Variation|
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC