|Dos Hermanas (1997)|
The 9th Annual Dos Hermanas Chess Tournament held from April 3rd to April 12th, 1997 was a Category XIX event. Ten of the world's best players, including the reigning FIDE World Champion, competed in a round robin format. The participants were (in order of Elo): Vishwanathan Anand (2765), Anatoli Karpov (2760), Vladimir Kramnik (2740), Veselin Topalov (2725), Boris Gelfand (2700), Alexei Shirov (2690), Nigel Short (2690), Valery Salov (2665), Judit Polgar (2645), and local Spanish favorite Miguel Illescas Cordoba (2635). Kramnik and Anand took first as co-champions, each with 6/9, a full point above the rest of the field. The final standings and crosstable are as follows:
Original collection: Game Collection: Dos Hermanas 1997, by User: suenteus po 147.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
=1 Kramnik * = = 1 = 1 = = = 1 6
=1 Anand = * 1 = = 1 = 1 = = 6
=3 Salov = 0 * = 1 = 1 = 0 1 5
=3 Karpov 0 = = * = = = 1 1 = 5
=3 Topalov = = 0 = * = = = 1 1 5
=6 Polgar 0 0 = = = * = = 1 1 4½
=6 Gelfand = = 0 = = = * = 1 = 4½
=6 Shirov = 0 = 0 = = = * 1 1 4½
9 Short = = 1 0 0 0 0 0 * 1 3
10 Illescas 0 = 0 = 0 0 = 0 0 * 1½
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. Kramnik vs Anand
||½-½||41||1997||Dos Hermanas||D39 Queen's Gambit Declined, Ragozin, Vienna Variation|
|2. Illescas Cordoba vs Karpov
|| ||½-½||49||1997||Dos Hermanas||B17 Caro-Kann, Steinitz Variation|
|3. Gelfand vs Short
||1-0||37||1997||Dos Hermanas||E47 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3 O-O 5.Bd3|
|4. Judit Polgar vs Salov
|| ||½-½||52||1997||Dos Hermanas||B65 Sicilian, Richter-Rauzer Attack, 7...Be7 Defense, 9...Nxd4|
|5. Shirov vs Topalov
|| ||½-½||41||1997||Dos Hermanas||C02 French, Advance|
|6. Salov vs Kramnik
|| ||½-½||25||1997||Dos Hermanas||A07 King's Indian Attack|
|7. Short vs Topalov
||0-1||65||1997||Dos Hermanas||B23 Sicilian, Closed|
|8. Anand vs Shirov
||1-0||35||1997||Dos Hermanas||D15 Queen's Gambit Declined Slav|
|9. Karpov vs Judit Polgar
|| ||½-½||60||1997||Dos Hermanas||E06 Catalan, Closed, 5.Nf3|
|10. Gelfand vs Illescas Cordoba
|| ||½-½||32||1997||Dos Hermanas||D85 Grunfeld|
|11. Judit Polgar vs Gelfand
|| ||½-½||29||1997||Dos Hermanas||B90 Sicilian, Najdorf|
|12. Shirov vs Salov
|| ||½-½||40||1997||Dos Hermanas||B81 Sicilian, Scheveningen, Keres Attack|
|13. Illescas Cordoba vs Short
|| ||0-1||35||1997||Dos Hermanas||C65 Ruy Lopez, Berlin Defense|
|14. Topalov vs Anand
||½-½||26||1997||Dos Hermanas||D17 Queen's Gambit Declined Slav|
|15. Kramnik vs Karpov
||1-0||35||1997||Dos Hermanas||A17 English|
|16. Salov vs Topalov
||1-0||91||1997||Dos Hermanas||B06 Robatsch|
|17. Karpov vs Shirov
||1-0||32||1997||Dos Hermanas||E63 King's Indian, Fianchetto, Panno Variation|
|18. Short vs Anand
||½-½||48||1997||Dos Hermanas||B62 Sicilian, Richter-Rauzer|
|19. Illescas Cordoba vs Judit Polgar
||0-1||32||1997||Dos Hermanas||B90 Sicilian, Najdorf|
|20. Gelfand vs Kramnik
|| ||½-½||17||1997||Dos Hermanas||D45 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|21. Anand vs Salov
||1-0||42||1997||Dos Hermanas||B89 Sicilian|
|22. Kramnik vs Illescas Cordoba
||1-0||77||1997||Dos Hermanas||A17 English|
|23. Judit Polgar vs Short
|| ||1-0||66||1997||Dos Hermanas||C18 French, Winawer|
|24. Shirov vs Gelfand
||½-½||45||1997||Dos Hermanas||B92 Sicilian, Najdorf, Opocensky Variation|
|25. Topalov vs Karpov
|| ||½-½||35||1997||Dos Hermanas||B17 Caro-Kann, Steinitz Variation|
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC