The 14th Annual Linares Super Tournament held in 1997 was a Category XVIII event. Twelve of the world's top players, including the World Champion, competed in a round robin format. The participants were (in order of Elo): Garry Kasparov (2795), Vishwanathan Anand (2765), Vladimir Kramnik (2740), Vassily Ivanchuk (2740), Veselin Topalov (2725), Boris Gelfand (2700), Alexei Shirov (2690), Michael Adams (2665), Predrag Nikolic (2655), Alexey Dreev (2650), Judit Polgar (2645), and Jeroen Piket (2640). Kasparov dominated in his usual manner, this time scoring wins against 2nd through 6th place. The final standings and crosstable are as follows:
Previous: Linares (1995) (there was no tournament in 1996). Next: Linares (1998)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2
1 Kasparov * 1 1 1 1 1 0 = 1 = = 1 8½
2 Kramnik 0 * = 1 1 = 1 = = 1 1 = 7½
=3 Adams 0 = * = = = = 1 = 1 = 1 6½
=3 Topalov 0 0 = * = = 1 1 1 1 1 0 6½
5 Polgar 0 0 = = * 0 1 = 1 1 1 = 6
6 Anand 0 = = = 1 * = = 0 1 = = 5½
=7 Ivanchuk 1 0 = 0 0 = * = = 0 1 1 5
=7 Gelfand = = 0 0 = = = * 1 = = = 5
9 Nikolic 0 = = 0 0 1 = 0 * = = 1 4½
10 Dreev = 0 0 0 0 0 1 = = * 1 = 4
=11 Piket = 0 = 0 0 = 0 = = 0 * 1 3½
=11 Shirov 0 = 0 1 = = 0 = 0 = 0 * 3½
Original collection: Game Collection: Linares 1997, by User: suenteus po 147.
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 66
|1. Adams vs Dreev
|2. Anand vs Kasparov
||0-1||41||1997||Linares||B84 Sicilian, Scheveningen|
|3. Ivanchuk vs Topalov
||0-1||29||1997||Linares||D32 Queen's Gambit Declined, Tarrasch|
|4. Shirov vs Piket
||0-1||40||1997||Linares||C92 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|5. Judit Polgar vs P Nikolic
||1-0||59||1997||Linares||C18 French, Winawer|
|6. Kramnik vs Gelfand
||½-½||15||1997||Linares||D15 Queen's Gambit Declined Slav|
|7. P Nikolic vs Shirov
|| ||1-0||44||1997||Linares||D44 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|8. Topalov vs Judit Polgar
|| ||½-½||81||1997||Linares||B48 Sicilian, Taimanov Variation|
|9. Gelfand vs Anand
|| ||½-½||28||1997||Linares||D27 Queen's Gambit Accepted, Classical|
|10. Dreev vs Kasparov
||½-½||49||1997||Linares||E80 King's Indian, Samisch Variation|
|11. Piket vs Kramnik
||0-1||50||1997||Linares||D43 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|12. Adams vs Ivanchuk
|| ||½-½||37||1997||Linares||C91 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|13. Ivanchuk vs Dreev
|| ||0-1||53||1997||Linares||E54 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Gligoric System|
|14. Shirov vs Topalov
||1-0||76||1997||Linares||C69 Ruy Lopez, Exchange, Gligoric Variation|
|15. Kramnik vs P Nikolic
|| ||½-½||41||1997||Linares||A17 English|
|16. Anand vs Piket
||½-½||44||1997||Linares||C99 Ruy Lopez, Closed, Chigorin, 12...cd|
|17. Judit Polgar vs Adams
|| ||½-½||25||1997||Linares||C78 Ruy Lopez|
|18. Kasparov vs Gelfand
||½-½||47||1997||Linares||B92 Sicilian, Najdorf, Opocensky Variation|
|19. Topalov vs Kramnik
||0-1||33||1997||Linares||D43 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|20. Dreev vs Gelfand
|| ||½-½||22||1997||Linares||E12 Queen's Indian|
|21. Ivanchuk vs Judit Polgar
||0-1||19||1997||Linares||D78 Neo-Grunfeld, 6.O-O c6|
|22. P Nikolic vs Anand
||1-0||39||1997||Linares||D76 Neo-Grunfeld, 6.cd Nxd5, 7.O-O Nb6|
|23. Adams vs Shirov
||1-0||95||1997||Linares||C78 Ruy Lopez|
|24. Piket vs Kasparov
||½-½||51||1997||Linares||E99 King's Indian, Orthodox, Taimanov|
|25. Gelfand vs Piket
|| ||½-½||46||1997||Linares||E16 Queen's Indian|
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 66
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC