|Tilburg Fontys (1997)|
The 2nd Annual Fontys International Chess Tournament was a Category XVII event held in Tilburg, The Netherlands from September 26th to October 10th, 1997. 12 of the world's top players, including the World Champion, competed in a round robin format. The participants were (in order of Elo): Garry Kasparov (2820), Vladimir Kramnik (2770), Alexei Shirov (2700), Michael Adams (2680), Judit Polgar (2670), Loek van Wely (2665), Joel Lautier (2660), Peter Svidler (2660), Peter Leko (2635), Jeroen Piket (2630), Alexander Onischuk (2625), and Tal Shaked (2500). The tournament was a major landmark for young grandmasters Kramnik and Svidler as they tied with Kasparov for first place with 8/11, a full point above the rest of the strong field. The final standings and crosstable are as follows:
Original collection: Game Collection: Tilburg Fontys 1997, by User: suenteus po 147.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2
=1 Svidler * 1 = = = = 1 = = 1 1 1 8
=1 Kasparov 0 * = = 1 1 1 = 1 = 1 1 8
=1 Kramnik = = * = = = 1 1 1 = 1 1 8
=4 Adams = = = * = = = 1 = 1 = 1 7
=4 Leko = 0 = = * = = 1 1 = 1 1 7
6 Polgar = 0 = = = * 1 = = 1 = = 6
7 Shirov 0 0 0 = = 0 * = 1 1 = 1 5
=8 Lautier = = 0 0 0 = = * = 0 1 1 4½
=8 Van Wely = 0 0 = 0 = 0 = * = 1 1 4½
10 Onischuk 0 = = 0 = 0 0 1 = * = = 4
11 Piket 0 0 0 = 0 = = 0 0 = * = 2½
12 Shaked 0 0 0 0 0 = 0 0 0 = = * 1½
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 66
|1. Adams vs Onischuk
||1-0||31||1997||Tilburg Fontys||C55 Two Knights Defense|
|2. Shaked vs Kramnik
||0-1||35||1997||Tilburg Fontys||E46 Nimzo-Indian|
|3. Shirov vs Piket
|| ||½-½||33||1997||Tilburg Fontys||C96 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|4. Lautier vs Judit Polgar
|| ||½-½||17||1997||Tilburg Fontys||A16 English|
|5. Svidler vs Leko
||½-½||39||1997||Tilburg Fontys||B81 Sicilian, Scheveningen, Keres Attack|
|6. Van Wely vs Kasparov
||0-1||51||1997||Tilburg Fontys||A25 English|
|7. Onischuk vs Lautier
||1-0||63||1997||Tilburg Fontys||B92 Sicilian, Najdorf, Opocensky Variation|
|8. Piket vs Svidler
||0-1||38||1997||Tilburg Fontys||D27 Queen's Gambit Accepted, Classical|
|9. Van Wely vs Shaked
|| ||1-0||28||1997||Tilburg Fontys||E97 King's Indian|
|10. Kramnik vs Shirov
||1-0||36||1997||Tilburg Fontys||E97 King's Indian|
|11. Kasparov vs Judit Polgar
||1-0||32||1997||Tilburg Fontys||D31 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|12. Leko vs Adams
|| ||½-½||33||1997||Tilburg Fontys||C89 Ruy Lopez, Marshall|
|13. Adams vs Piket
||½-½||42||1997||Tilburg Fontys||C84 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|14. Svidler vs Kramnik
|| ||½-½||26||1997||Tilburg Fontys||B33 Sicilian|
|15. Shaked vs Kasparov
||0-1||20||1997||Tilburg Fontys||D85 Grunfeld|
|16. Lautier vs Leko
||0-1||37||1997||Tilburg Fontys||D97 Grunfeld, Russian|
|17. Judit Polgar vs Onischuk
||1-0||107||1997||Tilburg Fontys||C90 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|18. Shirov vs Van Wely
||1-0||35||1997||Tilburg Fontys||B92 Sicilian, Najdorf, Opocensky Variation|
|19. Kramnik vs Adams
|| ||½-½||48||1997||Tilburg Fontys||A15 English|
|20. Shaked vs Shirov
||0-1||91||1997||Tilburg Fontys||A57 Benko Gambit|
|21. Piket vs Lautier
||0-1||47||1997||Tilburg Fontys||E15 Queen's Indian|
|22. Van Wely vs Svidler
|| ||½-½||22||1997||Tilburg Fontys||D82 Grunfeld, 4.Bf4|
|23. Leko vs Judit Polgar
|| ||½-½||48||1997||Tilburg Fontys||B52 Sicilian, Canal-Sokolsky (Rossolimo) Attack|
|24. Kasparov vs Onischuk
||½-½||60||1997||Tilburg Fontys||E12 Queen's Indian|
|25. Adams vs Van Wely
|| ||½-½||21||1997||Tilburg Fontys||B54 Sicilian|
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 66
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC