|Dortmund Sparkassen (1998)|
The Dortmund International Chess Tournament held from June 25th to July 6th, 1998 was a Category XVIII event. Ten players competed in a round robin format, including (in order of Elo): Vladimir Kramnik (2790), Vishwanathan Anand (2770), Vassily Ivanchuk (2740), Alexei Shirov (2710), Peter Svidler (2690), Alexander Beliavsky (2690), Michael Adams (2670), Peter Leko (2670), Zoltan Almasi (2630), and Artur Yusupov (2630). Kramnik, Adams, and Svidler tied for first with 6/9, with Kramnik and Adams finishing undefeated. The final standings and crosstable are as follows:
Original collection: Game Collection: Dortmund 1998, by User: suenteus po 147.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
=1 Kramnik * 1 = = = = 1 = = 1 6
=1 Svidler 0 * = 1 1 1 = = = 1 6
=1 Adams = = * = = 1 = 1 1 = 6
4 Leko = 0 = * = = 1 = = 1 5
5 Ivanchuk = 0 = = * = = = = 1 4½
=6 Almasi = 0 0 = = * = = 1 = 4
=6 Yusupov 0 = = 0 = = * = 1 = 4
=6 Anand = = 0 = = = = * = = 4
9 Beliavsky = = 0 = = 0 0 = * = 3
10 Shirov 0 0 = 0 0 = = = = * 2½
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. Adams vs Ivanchuk
||½-½||39||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||B76 Sicilian, Dragon, Yugoslav Attack|
|2. Kramnik vs Anand
|| ||½-½||20||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||A17 English|
|3. Beliavsky vs Leko
|| ||½-½||30||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||D92 Grunfeld, 5.Bf4|
|4. Svidler vs Z Almasi
|| ||1-0||30||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||C92 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|5. Shirov vs Yusupov
|| ||½-½||24||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||C00 French Defense|
|6. Ivanchuk vs Shirov
||1-0||48||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||C42 Petrov Defense|
|7. Anand vs Yusupov
|| ||½-½||64||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||C42 Petrov Defense|
|8. Z Almasi vs Beliavsky
|| ||1-0||43||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||C78 Ruy Lopez|
|9. Kramnik vs Svidler
||1-0||30||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||D86 Grunfeld, Exchange|
|10. Leko vs Adams
||½-½||33||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||C78 Ruy Lopez|
|11. Yusupov vs Ivanchuk
|| ||½-½||23||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||E61 King's Indian|
|12. Svidler vs Anand
||½-½||30||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||C43 Petrov, Modern Attack|
|13. Shirov vs Leko
||0-1||31||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||D85 Grunfeld|
|14. Beliavsky vs Kramnik
|| ||½-½||19||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||D43 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|15. Adams vs Z Almasi
||1-0||43||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||C90 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|16. Z Almasi vs Shirov
|| ||½-½||17||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||C47 Four Knights|
|17. Svidler vs Beliavsky
|| ||½-½||33||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||B06 Robatsch|
|18. Anand vs Ivanchuk
|| ||½-½||37||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||B81 Sicilian, Scheveningen, Keres Attack|
|19. Leko vs Yusupov
||1-0||68||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||C42 Petrov Defense|
|20. Kramnik vs Adams
||½-½||41||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||E32 Nimzo-Indian, Classical|
|21. Ivanchuk vs Leko
|| ||½-½||21||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||D85 Grunfeld|
|22. Shirov vs Kramnik
||0-1||54||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||E46 Nimzo-Indian|
|23. Beliavsky vs Anand
||½-½||31||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||E04 Catalan, Open, 5.Nf3|
|24. Adams vs Svidler
||½-½||27||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||B90 Sicilian, Najdorf|
|25. Yusupov vs Z Almasi
|| ||½-½||21||1998||Dortmund Sparkassen||E49 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Botvinnik System|
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC