The 7th Torneo Magistral held from May 10th to the 22nd, 1998 in Madrid, Spain was a Category XVII event. Ten grandmasters competed in a round robin format. The participants were (in order of Elo): Vishwanathan Anand (2770), Peter Svidler (2690), Alexander Beliavsky (2690), Michael Adams (2670), Peter Leko (2670), Mikhail Krasenkow (2660), Alex Yermolinsky (2660), Julio Ernesto Granda Zuniga (2630), Miguel Illescas Cordoba (2600), and Pablo San Segundo Carrillo (2505). 1998 was Anand's best year and he continued it here with an undefeated first place score of 6.5/9. The final standings and crosstable are as follows:
Original collection: Game Collection: Madrid 1998, by User: suenteus po 147.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
01 Anand * = = = 1 1 1 = = 1 6½
02 Svidler = * = = = = = = 1 1 5½
03 Leko = = * = = = = = 1 = 5
04 San Segundo = = = * 0 = = 1 1 = 5
05 Krasenkow 0 = = 1 * = = = = = 4½
06 Adams 0 = = = = * = = = 1 4½
07 Illescas 0 = = = = = * 1 = = 4½
08 Yermolinsky = = = 0 = = 0 * 1 = 4
09 Beliavsky = 0 0 0 = = = 0 * 1 3
10 Granda 0 0 = = = 0 = = 0 * 2½
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. Beliavsky vs Yermolinsky
||0-1||39||1998||Madrid||D07 Queen's Gambit Declined, Chigorin Defense|
|2. Leko vs Granda Zuniga
|| ||½-½||28||1998||Madrid||B18 Caro-Kann, Classical|
|3. P San Segundo Carrillo vs Illescas Cordoba
|| ||½-½||48||1998||Madrid||A17 English|
|4. Krasenkow vs Svidler
|5. Anand vs Adams
||1-0||39||1998||Madrid||E15 Queen's Indian|
|6. Adams vs Illescas Cordoba
|| ||½-½||60||1998||Madrid||A07 King's Indian Attack|
|7. Anand vs Krasenkow
||1-0||44||1998||Madrid||A35 English, Symmetrical|
|8. Svidler vs Leko
|| ||½-½||64||1998||Madrid||B18 Caro-Kann, Classical|
|9. Yermolinsky vs P San Segundo Carrillo
||0-1||28||1998||Madrid||D47 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|10. Granda Zuniga vs Beliavsky
|11. Leko vs Anand
|| ||½-½||21||1998||Madrid||B18 Caro-Kann, Classical|
|12. P San Segundo Carrillo vs Granda Zuniga
|| ||½-½||20||1998||Madrid||D45 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|13. Krasenkow vs Adams
|| ||½-½||51||1998||Madrid||A15 English|
|14. Illescas Cordoba vs Yermolinsky
|15. Beliavsky vs Svidler
||0-1||43||1998||Madrid||D86 Grunfeld, Exchange|
|16. Granda Zuniga vs Illescas Cordoba
|| ||½-½||44||1998||Madrid||A15 English|
|17. Anand vs Beliavsky
||½-½||41||1998||Madrid||C92 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|18. Krasenkow vs Leko
|| ||½-½||43||1998||Madrid||D85 Grunfeld|
|19. Svidler vs P San Segundo Carrillo
|20. Adams vs Yermolinsky
|| ||½-½||65||1998||Madrid||B22 Sicilian, Alapin|
|21. Yermolinsky vs Granda Zuniga
|| ||½-½||20||1998||Madrid||A17 English|
|22. Leko vs Adams
|| ||½-½||27||1998||Madrid||C89 Ruy Lopez, Marshall|
|23. P San Segundo Carrillo vs Anand
|| ||½-½||35||1998||Madrid||A15 English|
|24. Beliavsky vs Krasenkow
|| ||½-½||79||1998||Madrid||A35 English, Symmetrical|
|25. Illescas Cordoba vs Svidler
|| ||½-½||18||1998||Madrid||E92 King's Indian|
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
TIP: You can make the above ads go away by registering a free account!
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC