|Tilburg Fontys (1998)|
The 3rd Annual Fontys International Chess Tournament was a Category XVIII event held in Tilburg, The Netherlands from October 24th to November 5th, 1998. 12 of the world's top players competed in a round robin format. The participants were (in order of Elo): Vishwanathan Anand (2795), Vladimir Kramnik (2780), Michael Adams (2715), Peter Svidler (2710), Veselin Topalov (2700), Peter Leko (2665), Matthew Sadler (2660), Vadim Zvjaginsev (2650), Loek van Wely (2635), Joel Lautier (2625), Viktor Korchnoi (2625), and Jeroen Piket (2605). The tournament was another feather in Anand's cap for 1998. He won clear first, undefeated, with a score of 7.5/11. The final standings and crosstable are as follows:
Original collection: Game Collection: Tilburg Fontys 1998, by User: suenteus po 147.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2
1 Anand * = = = 1 = 1 = = = 1 1 7½
2 Leko = * = = 1 = 1 = = 1 = = 7
=3 Sadler = = * = = = 1 = = = = = 6
=3 Zvjaginsev = = = * 0 1 = = = = 1 = 6
=3 Kramnik 0 0 = 1 * = = = = = 1 1 6
=6 Piket = = = 0 = * = 0 1 = 1 = 5½
=6 Adams 0 0 0 = = = * 1 = 1 = 1 5½
=8 Svidler = = = = = 1 0 * 1 0 0 = 5
=8 Van Wely = = = = = 0 = 0 * = = 1 5
=10 Topalov = 0 = = = = 0 1 = * 0 = 4½
=10 Lautier 0 = = 0 0 0 = 1 = 1 * = 4½
12 Korchnoi 0 = = = 0 = 0 = 0 = = * 3½
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 66
|1. Piket vs Sadler
|| ||½-½||20||1998||Tilburg Fontys||D20 Queen's Gambit Accepted|
|2. Adams vs Van Wely
|| ||½-½||36||1998||Tilburg Fontys||B33 Sicilian|
|3. Anand vs Lautier
||1-0||39||1998||Tilburg Fontys||B32 Sicilian|
|4. Kramnik vs Svidler
|| ||½-½||25||1998||Tilburg Fontys||D86 Grunfeld, Exchange|
|5. Leko vs Korchnoi
|| ||½-½||36||1998||Tilburg Fontys||C11 French|
|6. Topalov vs V Zvjaginsev
||½-½||46||1998||Tilburg Fontys||B45 Sicilian, Taimanov|
|7. Svidler vs Piket
||1-0||47||1998||Tilburg Fontys||C98 Ruy Lopez, Closed, Chigorin|
|8. V Zvjaginsev vs Leko
|| ||½-½||35||1998||Tilburg Fontys||D91 Grunfeld, 5.Bg5|
|9. Korchnoi vs Adams
||0-1||87||1998||Tilburg Fontys||A14 English|
|10. Sadler vs Topalov
||½-½||34||1998||Tilburg Fontys||E42 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3 c5, 5.Ne2 (Rubinstein)|
|11. Lautier vs Van Wely
|| ||½-½||20||1998||Tilburg Fontys||A57 Benko Gambit|
|12. Anand vs Kramnik
||1-0||35||1998||Tilburg Fontys||C42 Petrov Defense|
|13. Van Wely vs Korchnoi
||1-0||60||1998||Tilburg Fontys||D33 Queen's Gambit Declined, Tarrasch|
|14. Topalov vs Svidler
||1-0||47||1998||Tilburg Fontys||C90 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|15. Leko vs Sadler
||½-½||34||1998||Tilburg Fontys||B90 Sicilian, Najdorf|
|16. Kramnik vs Lautier
||1-0||24||1998||Tilburg Fontys||D11 Queen's Gambit Declined Slav|
|17. Adams vs V Zvjaginsev
|| ||½-½||32||1998||Tilburg Fontys||B45 Sicilian, Taimanov|
|18. Piket vs Anand
|| ||½-½||21||1998||Tilburg Fontys||D47 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|19. V Zvjaginsev vs Van Wely
||½-½||33||1998||Tilburg Fontys||A28 English|
|20. Svidler vs Leko
|| ||½-½||23||1998||Tilburg Fontys||B12 Caro-Kann Defense|
|21. Sadler vs Adams
||1-0||41||1998||Tilburg Fontys||E43 Nimzo-Indian, Fischer Variation|
|22. Lautier vs Korchnoi
|| ||½-½||21||1998||Tilburg Fontys||E12 Queen's Indian|
|23. Kramnik vs Piket
||½-½||51||1998||Tilburg Fontys||D44 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|24. Anand vs Topalov
||½-½||46||1998||Tilburg Fontys||B80 Sicilian, Scheveningen|
|25. Adams vs Svidler
||1-0||44||1998||Tilburg Fontys||B90 Sicilian, Najdorf|
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 66
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC