|Pan Pacific International (1995)|
A Category 13 event (average rating 2574) held in San Francisco. It featured a selection of veterans and younger players, with two of the strongest women in the world thrown in for good measure:
Maurice Ashley Walter Shawn Browne Larry Mark Christiansen Nick de Firmian Boris Gulko Robert Huebner
Viktor Korchnoi John Nunn
Jonathan David Tisdall
The veterans had the best of it. By round 8, Gulko, Korchnoi and Nunn were tied for the lead and 1.5 points ahead of anyone else. Round nine proved decisive, as Korchnoi disposed of Waitzkin while Gulko lost a strange game to DeFirmian and Nunn could only draw with Huebner. The old man had to face his nearest competitors in the last two rounds, but drew both games handily to maintain his lead.
Holiday Inn, San Francisco, 21 February - 4 March 1995
Huebner seemed off form, while DeFirmian and Christiansen never got closer than shouting distance. Xie Jun had the best result of the younger players.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 Pts
1 Korchnoi * = = = 1 = = = 1 1 1 1 8.0
2 Nunn = * = = = = 1 1 = = 1 1 7.5
3 Gulko = = * 0 1 1 = = 1 = 1 1 7.5
4 DeFirmian = = 1 * 0 = = = 1 1 = = 6.5
5 Huebner 0 = 0 1 * = 1 = = = 1 = 6.0
6 Christiansen = = 0 = = * = = = 1 0 1 5.5
7 Xie Jun = 0 = = 0 = * = 1 = = 1 5.5
8 Browne = 0 = = = = = * 0 1 = = 5.0
9 Waitzkin 0 = 0 0 = = 0 1 * = = = 4.0
10 Polgar 0 = = 0 = 0 = 0 = * 1 0 3.5
11 Tisdall 0 0 0 = 0 1 = = = 0 * = 3.5
12 Ashley 0 0 0 = = 0 0 = = 1 = * 3.5
Main sponsors: Mindscape (makers of Chessmaster 4000) and the Mechanics Institute. The event celebrated the 50th anniversary of the founding of the United Nations. Georges Koltanowski and Carolyn Withgitt served as tournament directors.
Original Collection: Game Collection: Pan Pacific International, San Francisco, 1995 by User: Phony Benoni. Game dates are from reports by Eric Schiller in The Week in Chess (http://www.theweekinchess.com/html/... and http://www.theweekinchess.com/html/...).
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 66
|1. Gulko vs Waitzkin
||1-0||44||1995||Pan Pacific International||A29 English, Four Knights, Kingside Fianchetto|
|2. Xie Jun vs de Firmian
|| ||½-½||42||1995||Pan Pacific International||B90 Sicilian, Najdorf|
|3. Nunn vs J D Tisdall
||1-0||68||1995||Pan Pacific International||B22 Sicilian, Alapin|
|4. Zsofia Polgar vs L Christiansen
|| ||0-1||73||1995||Pan Pacific International||B32 Sicilian|
|5. Ashley vs Korchnoi
||0-1||24||1995||Pan Pacific International||B18 Caro-Kann, Classical|
|6. Browne vs Huebner
||½-½||39||1995||Pan Pacific International||E15 Queen's Indian|
|7. Korchnoi vs Xie Jun
|| ||½-½||55||1995||Pan Pacific International||E98 King's Indian, Orthodox, Taimanov, 9.Ne1|
|8. de Firmian vs Browne
|| ||½-½||41||1995||Pan Pacific International||B90 Sicilian, Najdorf|
|9. L Christiansen vs Gulko
|| ||0-1||55||1995||Pan Pacific International||D18 Queen's Gambit Declined Slav, Dutch|
|10. J D Tisdall vs Ashley
||½-½||32||1995||Pan Pacific International||E41 Nimzo-Indian|
|11. Waitzkin vs Nunn
||½-½||59||1995||Pan Pacific International||B22 Sicilian, Alapin|
|12. Huebner vs Zsofia Polgar
||½-½||60||1995||Pan Pacific International||C80 Ruy Lopez, Open|
|13. Xie Jun vs J D Tisdall
|| ||½-½||49||1995||Pan Pacific International||B72 Sicilian, Dragon|
|14. Zsofia Polgar vs de Firmian
|| ||0-1||44||1995||Pan Pacific International||B93 Sicilian, Najdorf, 6.f4|
|15. Huebner vs L Christiansen
|| ||½-½||39||1995||Pan Pacific International||D15 Queen's Gambit Declined Slav|
|16. Nunn vs Gulko
|| ||½-½||30||1995||Pan Pacific International||C19 French, Winawer, Advance|
|17. Ashley vs Waitzkin
||½-½||41||1995||Pan Pacific International||D20 Queen's Gambit Accepted|
|18. Browne vs Korchnoi
|| ||½-½||22||1995||Pan Pacific International||D45 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|19. de Firmian vs Huebner
|| ||0-1||44||1995||Pan Pacific International||C71 Ruy Lopez|
|20. J D Tisdall vs Browne
|| ||½-½||23||1995||Pan Pacific International||A30 English, Symmetrical|
|21. Korchnoi vs Zsofia Polgar
||1-0||39||1995||Pan Pacific International||D43 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|22. Waitzkin vs Xie Jun
||0-1||30||1995||Pan Pacific International||C53 Giuoco Piano|
|23. L Christiansen vs Nunn
|| ||½-½||104||1995||Pan Pacific International||E77 King's Indian|
|24. Gulko vs Ashley
|| ||1-0||36||1995||Pan Pacific International||A29 English, Four Knights, Kingside Fianchetto|
|25. Huebner vs Korchnoi
||0-1||18||1995||Pan Pacific International||C11 French|
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 66
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC