The 37th Hastings Christmas Chess Festival was held 27 December 1961 - 5 January 1962. Ten grandmasters and masters were invited to compete in a round robin format at the premier event. The notable participants of this edition included the world champion Mikhail Botvinnik, four-time Hastings champion Svetozar Gligoric, and Salomon Flohr. Botvinnik became the first reigning world champion to win at Hastings, finishing undefeated with +7 at the final. It was the first of two Hastings titles for the patriarch of the Soviet chess school. The final standings were as follows:|
Hastings (1960/61) and Hastings (1962/63) were the 36th and 38th Christmas festivals.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 Pts
1 Botvinnik * = = 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 8.0
2 Gligoric = * 1 0 = 0 1 1 1 1 6.0
3 Flohr = 0 * = = = = 1 1 1 5.5
4 Bisguier 0 1 = * = 0 1 = = 1 5.0
5 Penrose 0 = = = * = 1 1 0 1 5.0
6 Littlewood 0 1 = 1 = * 0 0 1 0 4.0
7 Robatsch 0 0 = 0 0 1 * = 1 1 4.0
8 Wade 0 0 0 = 0 1 = * = 1 3.5
9 Barden 0 0 0 = 1 0 0 = * 1 3.0
10 Aaron 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 * 1.0
Original collection: Game Collection: Hastings 1961/62, by User: suenteus po 147.
| page 1 of 1; 13 games
|1. M Aaron vs Flohr
||0-1||40||1961||Hastings 1961/62||D22 Queen's Gambit Accepted|
|2. J Littlewood vs Botvinnik
||0-1||28||1961||Hastings 1961/62||B75 Sicilian, Dragon, Yugoslav Attack|
|3. Robatsch vs Bisguier
||0-1||38||1961||Hastings 1961/62||C78 Ruy Lopez|
|4. Wade vs J Penrose
|| ||0-1||24||1961||Hastings 1961/62||E98 King's Indian, Orthodox, Taimanov, 9.Ne1|
|5. Gligoric vs Bisguier
||0-1||35||1961||Hastings 1961/62||D63 Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox Defense|
|6. L Barden vs Botvinnik
||0-1||41||1961||Hastings 1961/62||C02 French, Advance|
|7. M Aaron vs Gligoric
||0-1||41||1961||Hastings 1961/62||A53 Old Indian|
|8. M Aaron vs L Barden
|| ||0-1||43||1962||Hastings 1961/62||E80 King's Indian, Samisch Variation|
|9. J Littlewood vs Robatsch
|| ||0-1||32||1962||Hastings 1961/62||B08 Pirc, Classical|
|10. Bisguier vs J Littlewood
||0-1||23||1962||Hastings 1961/62||D07 Queen's Gambit Declined, Chigorin Defense|
|11. L Barden vs Gligoric
|| ||0-1||35||1962||Hastings 1961/62||B92 Sicilian, Najdorf, Opocensky Variation|
|12. Robatsch vs Botvinnik
||0-1||45||1962||Hastings 1961/62||C18 French, Winawer|
|13. M Aaron vs Robatsch
||0-1||58||1962||Hastings 1961/62||A42 Modern Defense, Averbakh System|
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC