The 39th Hastings Christmas Chess Festival was held at the end of the year 1963. Ten grandmasters and masters were invited to compete in a round robin format at the premier event. The notable participants of this edition included 5-time Hastings winner Svetozar Gligoric and former world champion Mikhail Tal. Continuing a tradition recently renewed by Mikhail Botvinnik, Tal joined the league of former and future world champions to take clear first at the event, finishing undefeated with +5 at the final. Gligoric followed closely with +4 for clear second place.
Hastings, England, 30 December 1963 - 8 January 1964
Crosstable is from Shakhmatni Bulletin, 1964, p. 123. In Di Felice, Chess Results 1964-1967, p. 2. Rounds and game dates are from Alexander Khalifman (ed.), Mikhail Tal Games II (Chess Stars 1995), pp. 44-48.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 Pts
1 Tal * = = = 1 1 1 1 = 1 7.0
2 Gligoric = * = = 1 1 1 = = 1 6.5
3 Lengyel = = * 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 6.0
4 Khasin = = 0 * = = 1 1 1 1 6.0
5 Littlewood, N 0 0 1 = * 1 0 1 1 1 5.5
6 Brinck-Claussen 0 0 1 = 0 * = = 1 1 4.5
7 Littlewood, J 0 0 0 0 1 = * 0 1 1 3.5
8 Hindle 0 = 0 0 0 = 1 * = 0 2.5
9 Bely = = 0 0 0 0 0 = * = 2.0
10 Franklin 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 = * 1.5
Previous edition: Hastings (1962/63).
Original collection: Game Collection: Hastings 1963/64, by User: suenteus po 147.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. A Khasin vs J Littlewood
|| ||1-0||40||1963||Hastings 1963/64||C87 Ruy Lopez|
|2. N Littlewood vs B Brinck-Claussen
|| ||1-0||35||1963||Hastings 1963/64||A03 Bird's Opening|
|3. M Bely vs M J Franklin
|| ||½-½||54||1963||Hastings 1963/64||B28 Sicilian, O'Kelly Variation|
|4. L Lengyel vs Gligoric
|| ||½-½||17||1963||Hastings 1963/64||D79 Neo-Grunfeld, 6.O-O, Main line|
|5. O M Hindle vs Tal
||0-1||52||1963||Hastings 1963/64||B43 Sicilian, Kan, 5.Nc3|
|6. Tal vs Gligoric
|| ||½-½||35||1963||Hastings 1963/64||C74 Ruy Lopez, Modern Steinitz Defense|
|7. O M Hindle vs M Bely
|| ||½-½||30||1963||Hastings 1963/64||C84 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|8. J Littlewood vs N Littlewood
|| ||1-0||77||1963||Hastings 1963/64||A55 Old Indian, Main line|
|9. B Brinck-Claussen vs L Lengyel
|| ||1-0||43||1963||Hastings 1963/64||A30 English, Symmetrical|
|10. M J Franklin vs A Khasin
|| ||0-1||54||1963||Hastings 1963/64||A46 Queen's Pawn Game|
|11. M Bely vs Tal
|| ||½-½||30||1964||Hastings 1963/64||B28 Sicilian, O'Kelly Variation|
|12. A Khasin vs O M Hindle
|| ||1-0||29||1964||Hastings 1963/64||E62 King's Indian, Fianchetto|
|13. N Littlewood vs M J Franklin
|| ||1-0||27||1964||Hastings 1963/64||B90 Sicilian, Najdorf|
|14. L Lengyel vs J Littlewood
|| ||1-0||39||1964||Hastings 1963/64||E69 King's Indian, Fianchetto, Classical Main line|
|15. Gligoric vs B Brinck-Claussen
||1-0||28||1964||Hastings 1963/64||B33 Sicilian|
|16. M J Franklin vs L Lengyel
|| ||0-1||35||1964||Hastings 1963/64||A22 English|
|17. O M Hindle vs N Littlewood
||0-1||41||1964||Hastings 1963/64||C63 Ruy Lopez, Schliemann Defense|
|18. M Bely vs A Khasin
|| ||0-1||37||1964||Hastings 1963/64||B28 Sicilian, O'Kelly Variation|
|19. J Littlewood vs Gligoric
||0-1||30||1964||Hastings 1963/64||B28 Sicilian, O'Kelly Variation|
|20. Tal vs B Brinck-Claussen
|| ||1-0||32||1964||Hastings 1963/64||C76 Ruy Lopez, Modern Steinitz Defense, Fianchetto Variation|
|21. A Khasin vs Tal
|| ||½-½||30||1964||Hastings 1963/64||E90 King's Indian|
|22. N Littlewood vs M Bely
|| ||1-0||39||1964||Hastings 1963/64||C91 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|23. L Lengyel vs O M Hindle
|| ||1-0||54||1964||Hastings 1963/64||A04 Reti Opening|
|24. B Brinck-Claussen vs J Littlewood
|| ||½-½||32||1964||Hastings 1963/64||E69 King's Indian, Fianchetto, Classical Main line|
|25. Gligoric vs M J Franklin
|| ||1-0||33||1964||Hastings 1963/64||E40 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3|
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC