|Chigorin - Schiffers First Match (1878)|
Played in St. Petersburg, Russian Empire (Russia) from February 22 - March 26.
The series of matches played in 1878 and 1879 between Chigorin and Schiffers was to decide which of them was the strongest player in St. Petersburg, and subsequently, in Russia.
Match conditions were that the winner would be the first to win six games. Which was Chigorin, after Game 9. But one more game was played. Chigorin explained it thus: After ending the 9th game, Schiffers proposed playing it from White's 18th move and regarding it as another official game. This 10th game also ended with Chigorin's victory.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
Chigorin 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 7
Schiffers 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 3
Based on an original collection by User: TheFocus.
| page 1 of 1; 10 games
|Feb-17-14|| ||offramp: White +2, Black +7.|
|Dec-30-15|| ||Tabanus: I uploaded Game 9, but without exact date in March 1878.|
<Pawn and Two> says that the book, "Mikhail Chigorin The First Russian Grandmaster", by Alexander Khalifman & Sergei Solovikov, provides a date for only Game 1 of this match, March 6, 1878, and that this book provides the game scores for all 10 games.
The games here are today dated as follows: 1 28/2, 2 28/2, 3 3/3, 4 5/3, 5 7/3, 6 9/3, 7 9/3, 8 21/3, and 10 26/3.
I'd like to know where these dates are from.
|Jan-24-16|| ||Tabanus: <Tabanus: I uploaded Game 9, but without exact date in March 1878.>|
And now it's in. It placed itself as no. 3 on the list, because of no exact date.
|Jan-24-16|| ||TheFocus: <Tabanus> <The games here are today dated as follows: 1 28/2, 2 28/2, 3 3/3, 4 5/3, 5 7/3, 6 9/3, 7 9/3, 8 21/3, and 10 26/3.|
I'd like to know where these dates are from.>
When I did the original collection, I used <Quarterly for Chess History> #16, 2007, pg. 86-90. They give the dates as being from <Shakhmatnyj Listok>. The only difference is the following.
Game 1 (22/2)
Game 2 (26/2)
Game 9 (25/3)
WCH gave the dates of the match as February 28-March 26, clearly a typo.
|Jan-24-16|| ||Tabanus: <TheFocus> Thanks! I updated the dates and bracket dates. |
I don't know what WCH is. Games 6 and 7 are on the same day, March 9 (a Thursday), which looks a little odd.
|Jan-25-16|| ||TheFocus: <Tabanus> <I don't know what WCH is.>|
Typo. I meant QCH (Quarterly for Chess History).
<Games 6 and 7 are on the same day, March 9 (a Thursday), which looks a little odd.>
Let me double-check. That cannot be right.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC