Played from April 21 to May 15.
"From 1941 to 1943 I gave all my time to my work as an engineer. During the summer I had to travel a great deal, visiting the power stations in the Urals to test high-tension insulation. During the winter I worked in the high-tension laboratory at Molotov, servicing the works of the Molotov Electricity Corporation in the repair and testing of the insulations.
1 Botvinnik ** 1= =1 =1 1= 1= 1= 1= 10.5
2 Makagonov 0= ** 1= 11 =1 == =0 11 9.5
3 Smyslov =0 0= ** 01 == 1= 1= 11 8.0
4 Kan =0 00 10 ** 01 =1 11 11 8.0
5 Boleslavsky 0= =0 == 10 ** 1= == =1 7.0
6 Konstantinopolsky 0= == 0= =0 0= ** 11 1= 6.5
7 Zagorjansky 0= =1 0= 00 == 00 ** 0= 4.0
8 Ragozin 0= 00 00 00 =0 0= 1= ** 3.0
It may not be superfluous to remark that the insulation installations in the charge of our laboratory worked throughout this time without breakdowns.
At the beginning of 1943 I took up chess again. On Wednesdays and Saturdays I was freed from work in order to devote myself to the game. I made use of this free time to prepare for the forthcoming Masters' Tournament to be held in Sverdlovsk.
The tournament brought a group of strong masters together in competition, but, despite my two years' lack of tournament practice, I was in good form and came out first." - Botvinnik in One Hundred Selected Games, p. 205.
Based on an original collection by User: TheFocus. Round dates were provided by User: Tabanus, from "Schach in Russland 1941-45 mit sämtlichen Partien Swerdlowsk 1943" by Mikhail Botvinnik. The dates for Rounds 6, 7, and 12 are unavailable.
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 56
|1. Boleslavsky vs Smyslov
|| ||½-½||45||1943||Sverdlovsk||B05 Alekhine's Defense, Modern|
|2. Konstantinopolsky vs Ragozin
|| ||1-0||68||1943||Sverdlovsk||C84 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|3. Botvinnik vs E Zagorjansky
|4. Kan vs V Makogonov
||0-1||39||1943||Sverdlovsk||D37 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|5. Kan vs Konstantinopolsky
|| ||½-½||41||1943||Sverdlovsk||D37 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|6. Smyslov vs E Zagorjansky
||1-0||32||1943||Sverdlovsk||C97 Ruy Lopez, Closed, Chigorin|
|7. Botvinnik vs Ragozin
||1-0||41||1943||Sverdlovsk||E44 Nimzo-Indian, Fischer Variation, 5.Ne2|
|8. Boleslavsky vs V Makogonov
|| ||½-½||63||1943||Sverdlovsk||C83 Ruy Lopez, Open|
|9. V Makogonov vs Smyslov
||1-0||54||1943||Sverdlovsk||A53 Old Indian|
|10. Konstantinopolsky vs E Zagorjansky
|| ||1-0||34||1943||Sverdlovsk||C97 Ruy Lopez, Closed, Chigorin|
|11. Ragozin vs Boleslavsky
|| ||½-½||60||1943||Sverdlovsk||A48 King's Indian|
|12. Kan vs Botvinnik
|| ||½-½||22||1943||Sverdlovsk||C19 French, Winawer, Advance|
|13. Boleslavsky vs Kan
|| ||1-0||45||1943||Sverdlovsk||C43 Petrov, Modern Attack|
|14. Smyslov vs Ragozin
||1-0||42||1943||Sverdlovsk||D81 Grunfeld, Russian Variation|
|15. Botvinnik vs Konstantinopolsky
||1-0||52||1943||Sverdlovsk||B14 Caro-Kann, Panov-Botvinnik Attack|
|16. E Zagorjansky vs V Makogonov
|| ||½-½||38||1943||Sverdlovsk||D37 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|17. Konstantinopolsky vs V Makogonov
|| ||½-½||41||1943||Sverdlovsk||D58 Queen's Gambit Declined, Tartakower (Makagonov-Bondarevsky) Syst|
|18. Kan vs Smyslov
||1-0||34||1943||Sverdlovsk||D37 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|19. Ragozin vs E Zagorjansky
|| ||1-0||50||1943||Sverdlovsk||A27 English, Three Knights System|
|20. Botvinnik vs Boleslavsky
||1-0||52||1943||Sverdlovsk||B59 Sicilian, Boleslavsky Variation, 7.Nb3|
|21. V Makogonov vs Ragozin
|22. Boleslavsky vs Konstantinopolsky
|| ||1-0||47||1943||Sverdlovsk||C83 Ruy Lopez, Open|
|23. Smyslov vs Botvinnik
|| ||½-½||66||1943||Sverdlovsk||C19 French, Winawer, Advance|
|24. E Zagorjansky vs Kan
|| ||0-1||27||1943||Sverdlovsk||D37 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|25. Ragozin vs Kan
|| ||0-1||43||1943||Sverdlovsk||B80 Sicilian, Scheveningen|
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 56
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC