|Bilbao Masters (2013)|
The 6th Bilbao Masters (previously: Grand Slam) "final" (as defined by the Bilbao Masters organising committee) was held in Bilbao, Spain 7-12 October 2013. The tournament used the Sofia Chess Rules, which forbids agreed draws before 30 moves, and the "Bilbao" scoring system of 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss (though for ratings purposes the traditional scoring method is used). (1) TWIC report: http://theweekinchess.com/chessnews.... Crosstable:
Previous edition: Grand Slam Chess Final (2012). Next: Bilbao Masters (2014).
01 02 03 04
1 Aronian ** ½1 ½½ ½1 4 10
2 Adams ½0 ** ½½ 11 3½ 9
3 Mamedyarov ½½ ½½ ** 0½ 2½ 5
4 Vachier-Lagrave ½0 00 1½ ** 2 5
(1) Wikipedia article: Bilbao Chess Masters Final
| page 1 of 1; 2 games
< Earlier Kibitzing · PAGE 2 OF 2 ·
|Oct-09-13|| ||Everett: The line Adams played in the Sicilian morphs into a very un-sicilian like Tarrasch QGD. Bizarre.|
|Oct-10-13|| ||SirRuthless: Great game from Levon. MVL had several chances to equalize or even possibly win but Aronian is so tricky. He always seems to be able to complicate the position even when he is worse.|
|Oct-10-13|| ||Diademas: Bilbao normally uses football-score (3-1-0). I dont think this year is an exception.|
|Oct-11-13|| ||Edmontonchessclub: I like this scoring system.|
|Oct-11-13|| ||GlennOliver: Michael Adams v Levon Aronian at UTC 15:00 today.
As far as I can find, Micky has not thus far beaten Levon Aronian in classical chess, so today would be an excellent day to start.
|Oct-11-13|| ||GlennOliver: Aronian seems already to be playing for the draw.|
|Oct-11-13|| ||haydn20: I'm a little surprized there is relatively interest in this intriguing tournament. Adams's revival continues to be interesting. His 11. h3 is new to this line in Opening Ex. I thought 17. Qxa4 might have been stronger. In any case, he might have a slight pull after 20 Rd1. I don't exactly agree that Aronian is playing to draw. Rather, he has chosen a positional line that won't explode on him. It's drawish, but not without chances, unlike say a Berlin.|
|Oct-11-13|| ||Ragar: The live game on the official site seems to be down. Anyone following it somehow and able to show the position? Thanks|
|Oct-11-13|| ||haydn20: <Ragar> It's on chessbomb. According to computer, Black should have taken the op to advance 22...a4. Instead, he wasted a tempo by 22...Bxc4?! which he could haved played in one move rather than two, AND he gives up the 2 B's. With this tempo loss he should be down at least -1.0 if not -1.3 or more.|
|Oct-11-13|| ||haydn20: The position cried out for 25. Rd7; instead 25. Qa4 and after 25...Ne6 Black will equalize and after exchanges should draw.|
|Oct-11-13|| ||haydn20: Instead, white throws good money after bad with 26. Qb5 and 27. c7. Alas, poor Micky--he may have drifted into losing territory.|
|Oct-11-13|| ||Ragar: Yes it look very bad for him now.|
|Oct-11-13|| ||haydn20: OC I meant 27 c5.|
|Oct-11-13|| ||asiduodiego: Poor Micky. He's in trouble now. He's a full pawn down, and it seems he has some trouble to coordinate his pieces. Let's see if Levon can finish this.|
|Oct-11-13|| ||haydn20: 35...a4 and the threat of this P shd win for White. I thought Mickey had 'im there for a minute.|
|Oct-11-13|| ||haydn20: Ugh! 39. Kd3? loses immediately to ...Ra4. 39 Rd1 was necessary.|
|Oct-11-13|| ||asiduodiego: It's official now: Aronian won. A good game by Levon, better than yesterday. He took some risks by playing 17 ... dxc3!? and 23 ... Bxc3!?, which, (according to Houdini), left him in a somewhat worse position. But, the plan was to support the passed a-pawn, and in the end, Adams just couldn't stand the pressure in the Queenside, and in the end, he ended up losing a piece in midst of the tactical complications.|
Congratulations to Levon, a good game!.
|Oct-11-13|| ||Arcturar: Woot! Go Aronian! Both Lev and Vlad are back above 2800 on the live ratings, with Lev being slightly higher.|
|Oct-11-13|| ||waustad: When I looked earlier today, neither was over 2800, but now they both are. Caruana is close too, so it could go from 1 to 4 in the 2800 club in a few days. It's just a number but it seems to be a psychological issue for many.|
|Oct-11-13|| ||Shams: <waustad> And 2900 looms out there like a four minute mile.|
|Oct-12-13|| ||csmath: Mickey won the game due to MVL blunder late in the game.|
|Oct-12-13|| ||csmath: Absolutely horrible tournament for MVL.
One game he lost on time in drawn position, another one he missed a forced win in lack of time, and in the third he blundered in equal position right before the time control.
He clearly has issues with time control and he is too young for that. I am afraid that he will be losing a lot of games on time when he gets older.
|Oct-14-13|| ||savagerules: This scoring system in double round robin tournaments maybe is not the best due to the fact that two players could agree to each lose one game to the other resulting in 3 pts for each of them instead of 2 pts if they drew both games against each other. I'm sure with the players here that's not going to happen but in other cases that may not be the case.|
|Oct-15-13|| ||Kikoman: Congratulations GM Levon Aronian! :D|
|Oct-18-13|| ||Octavia: Mickey did ok overall :)|
< Earlier Kibitzing · PAGE 2 OF 2 ·
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC