Played in Kensington, London, England 11-13 December 2013. The two best players from each of four groups (A (Anand and Adams), B, C, D) advanced to the ... [more]
Player: Luke McShane
| page 1 of 1; 6 games
TIP: You can make the above ads go away by registering a free account!
< Earlier Kibitzing · PAGE 2 OF 2 ·
|Dec-12-13|| ||shivasuri4: After Adams' win against Istratescu, Mark Crowther tweeted: Trent asked Adams, "Do you have any particular strategy in rapid chess?" Adams replied, "I play a bit faster."|
|Dec-12-13|| ||ketchuplover: teehee|
|Dec-12-13|| ||visayanbraindoctor: I expect Anand to win this event. Whatever his psychological blocks are to winning tournaments, they seem to disappear when he plays quicker games.|
|Dec-13-13|| ||virginmind: Pretty tough for Istratescu. Chessbase news continues to put him on 2709 Elo, although he never had this rating, the best ever being 2670 on Dec. 2013 list.|
|Dec-13-13|| ||SimonWebbsTiger: @<virginmind>
it's his rapid rating; although I have noticed that the commentators keep switching back and forth
|Dec-13-13|| ||virginmind: Oops right, I forgot about the rapid rating. Thanks.|
|Dec-13-13|| ||Octavia: <I expect Anand to win this event.> me too, but Adams is pretty good too|
|Dec-13-13|| ||PawnSac: Adams is a very solid player. In the right positions he can hold off the best. He seems to excel in classical type positions, so to beat him you have to be a Nakamura style playing weird crap in massive complications.|
|Dec-14-13|| ||haydn20: I'm a fan of Adams and he's playing very nicely I'm glad to say.|
|Dec-14-13|| ||GlennOliver: <shivasuri4: After Adams' win against Istratescu, Mark Crowther tweeted: Trent asked Adams, "Do you have any particular strategy in rapid chess?" Adams replied, "I play a bit faster.">|
Excellent, shivasuri4, thank you!
|Dec-14-13|| ||Octavia: Gelfand - Adams &
Kramnik - Nakamura
on sun @ 13.00
|Dec-14-13|| ||visayanbraindoctor: I predicted wrong on Anand winning, as Kramnik eliminated him in a two game mini-match. Anand is definitely better than Kramnik in quick games, but the mini-match KO system used in this tournament's later rounds makes events more unpredictable. If it were a round robin tournament, Anand would have better chances at winning. Anand has been playing well, but just one game wherein Kramnik played better is enough to knock him out. |
This is not a serious tournament compared to a WC cycle qualifier such as the World Cup. What keeps on bothering me is that the Chess World Cup, which is basically at the level of an Interzonal tournament, utilizes two game mini-match KOs.
|Dec-15-13|| ||perfidious: <Doctor>: In making a prediction which was in error, you are hardly in doubtful company in this world: it will be remembered that virtually all pundits had Capablanca as defeating Alekhine a while back.|
Let the minimatch system at the WC qualifying level begone! It is no way to decide a contest of such significance.
|Dec-15-13|| ||RedShield: I liked Vishy's reply when asked if he was celebrating his birthday. Along the lines of, <At my age, you celebrate the other 364 days!>|
|Dec-15-13|| ||SatelliteDan: The fast food generation won't stand for serious chess. It takes too long between wanting to text.|
|Dec-15-13|| ||evlozare: <let the minimatch system at the WC qualifying level begone>. then what do you suggest to replace it?|
<perf> let's say 8 players in the candidates, a DDR. what should be the criteria to qualify?
|Dec-15-13|| ||RedShield: It's cumbersome to have the four groups of this event with separate pages. Will they be subsumed at a later date?|
|Dec-15-13|| ||Strongest Force: Naked turned that 2nd game around and has edge.|
|Dec-15-13|| ||InfinityCircuit: What a blunder from Kramnik.|
|Dec-15-13|| ||nok: Holy s--t|
|Dec-15-13|| ||amadeus: Unbelievable|
|Dec-15-13|| ||RedShield: Vlad said yesterday that he wouldn't be competing again until the Candidates in March, so this will be festering in his mind for some time to come.|
|Dec-15-13|| ||dTal: somebody please tell me why Kramnik did not take the pawn with 42... Kd7? What was wrong with that?|
|Dec-15-13|| ||micartouse: <dTal> I think he was worried about 43. Bxh6 which he figured would give white an easy draw.|
|Dec-15-13|| ||dTal: Thanks <micartouse>. I didn't figure that B+P vs 3P would an easy draw. I should have looked at the endgame a bit more closely.|
< Earlier Kibitzing · PAGE 2 OF 2 ·
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC