The 38th Hastings Christmas Congress was held from December 27, 1962 to January 5, 1963. Chief among the competitors were grandmasters Alexander Kotov, Svetozar Gligoric, and former World Champion Vasily Smyslov, a last moment replacement for ... [more]
Player: Tan Hoan Liong
| page 1 of 1; 9 games
|Feb-09-14|| ||Phony Benoni: As stated in the introduction, the reason Spassky as replaced by Smyslov is unclear. Illness or fatigue are perfectly plausible, but it would be na´ve to dismiss the possibility of disciplinary action by Soviet authorities. The fact that Spassky did not play abroad again until the Amsterdam Interzonal in May, 1964, could be signficant.|
Can somebody shed more light on this situation?
|Jan-05-18|| ||offramp: Just after this tournament started Britain was hit by a famous cold spell.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winte.... It was the start of the coldest winter since 1814.|
n January 1963 the sea froze for a mile out from shore at Herne Bay, Kent, which is only 50 miles from Hastings.
It is no wonder that Tan Hoan Liong, staring out the window at the 20 feet deep snowdrifts, the sleet pouring down from low, angry clouds, his feet and hands like four blocks of ice, suffered a mental breakdown and never played chess again.
|Jan-05-18|| ||WorstPlayerEver: <offramp>
Never heard of this guy. I am Dutch and a quick read made clear he was probably one of the best talents the Dutch ever had.
But he was Indonesian, so they burnt his scoresheets of the Dutch Championship '61 and succeeded in breaking every nerve in his system. The traditional Dutch approach regarded to guys who are less average than them (which counts for most people on this planet btw).
Useless to say the Dutch were pretty irritated they just lost their colony Indonesia.
|Mar-08-19|| ||offramp: |
The snow is billowing down on Hastings beaches.
Tan Liong is cracking splinters of ice from his pieces,
The half-grown icicles looking down like accusers,
The players in thick coats, shivering at the table,
Salo Flohr freezing, shockeling in his echt sable,
A pair of knights stuck to their home squares like frozen horses,
And everyone, everyone coughing and sneezing!
|Mar-08-19|| ||Sally Simpson: Hi. Phony Benoni,
Your question about Smyslov replacing Spassky.
"Andrew Soltis also mentions this game in his book "Soviet Chess: 1917-1991" (p251 hbk):
"After Spassky lost a highly publicised game to the American William Lombardy on first board in the 1960 Student Olympiad he was left of the 1961 team and was eventually suspended from foreign travel three times.
He was replaced at the last minute as a Soviet invitee to Hastings 1962-1963 -- a typical Sports Committee humiliation."
Spassky vs Lombardy, 1960 (kibitz #12)
I remember that 1963 Winter. It produced a trivial pursuit football question about the most postponements. Airdrie v Stranraer was postponed 33 times.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC