This was the 22nd Hoogoventoernooi - the previous and next events were Hoogovens (1959) and Hoogovens (1961). As usual, five masters from abroad were invited to compete against five of the home players. Drawing of lots took place on 6 January in the Kennemer Theater, where play began next day at 6:15 pm. (1) The tournament started one day before Hastings (1959/60) ended.
Beverwijk, Netherlands, 7-17 January 1960
Main arbiter: Constant Orbaan. The Masters Group was won by Erno Gereben (6/9) ahead of Ludwig Rellstab and Bela Sandor (5.5/9), and the Ladies Group was won by 16-year-old Katarina Jovanovic-Blagojevic (7/9) ahead of Corry Vreeken-Bouwman (6/9). Paul de Rooi won Group 1A, and Aleksandar Bozic won Group 1B. (2) On 6 January, simultaneous exhibitions were held by Flohr (+25 =8 -1), Petrosian (+31 -3), Cortlever (+26 =2 -2) and Tan (+27 -1). (3)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
=1 Larsen * 0 0 1 1 1 ½ 1 1 1 6½
=1 Petrosian 1 * ½ ½ ½ ½ 1 ½ 1 1 6½
3 Matanovic 1 ½ * ½ 0 ½ ½ ½ 1 1 5½
=4 Flohr 0 ½ ½ * 1 ½ ½ ½ 1 ½ 5
=4 Donner 0 ½ 1 0 * ½ 1 ½ ½ 1 5
6 Scheltinga 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ * ½ ½ ½ 1 4½
7 Bouwmeester ½ 0 ½ ½ 0 ½ * ½ ½ 1 4
8 Toran 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ * 0 0 3
=9 Tan 0 0 0 0 ½ ½ ½ 1 * 0 2½
=9 Barendregt 0 0 0 ½ 0 0 0 1 1 * 2½
Tournament book: Hoogoventoernooi bulletin 1960, Beverwijk, Holland edited by B. J. (Barry) Withuis (Hoogoventoernooi-commissie, Beverwijk 1960. 80 pp.) (not seen). Most Dutch newspapers had round reports, incl. by Max Euwe in Het Vrije Volk and by Donner in De Tijd De Maasbode.
1) De Tijd de Maasbode, 8 January 1960, p. 6.
2) Het Vrije Volk, 18 January 1960, p. 7.
3) De Waarheid, 7 January 1960, p. 5.
Original collections: Game Collection: 1960 Beverwijk Hoogovens by User: jww and Game Collection: Hoogovens 1960 by User: Tabanus.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. Flohr vs R Toran Albero
|2. A Matanovic vs Larsen
|3. H Bouwmeester vs J T Barendregt
||1-0||40||1960||Hoogovens||C42 Petrov Defense|
|4. Petrosian vs T van Scheltinga
||½-½||14||1960||Hoogovens||D27 Queen's Gambit Accepted, Classical|
|5. Tan Hoan Liong vs J H Donner
||½-½||21||1960||Hoogovens||B95 Sicilian, Najdorf, 6...e6|
|6. A Matanovic vs Tan Hoan Liong
||1-0||40||1960||Hoogovens||C64 Ruy Lopez, Classical|
|7. J H Donner vs H Bouwmeester
|8. R Toran Albero vs Petrosian
|9. Larsen vs T van Scheltinga
||1-0||41||1960||Hoogovens||A00 Uncommon Opening|
|10. J T Barendregt vs Flohr
|11. Petrosian vs J T Barendregt
||1-0||32||1960||Hoogovens||A42 Modern Defense, Averbakh System|
|12. Tan Hoan Liong vs Larsen
||0-1||36||1960||Hoogovens||A07 King's Indian Attack|
|13. H Bouwmeester vs A Matanovic
|14. T van Scheltinga vs R Toran Albero
|| ||½-½||20||1960||Hoogovens||E69 King's Indian, Fianchetto, Classical Main line|
|15. Flohr vs J H Donner
|| ||1-0||29||1960||Hoogovens||A04 Reti Opening|
|16. Larsen vs R Toran Albero
|| ||1-0||41||1960||Hoogovens||A02 Bird's Opening|
|17. J T Barendregt vs T van Scheltinga
|| ||0-1||26||1960||Hoogovens||B28 Sicilian, O'Kelly Variation|
|18. Tan Hoan Liong vs H Bouwmeester
|| ||½-½||58||1960||Hoogovens||B14 Caro-Kann, Panov-Botvinnik Attack|
|19. A Matanovic vs Flohr
|| ||½-½||40||1960||Hoogovens||B18 Caro-Kann, Classical|
|20. J H Donner vs Petrosian
|| ||½-½||42||1960||Hoogovens||E00 Queen's Pawn Game|
|21. Flohr vs Tan Hoan Liong
|| ||1-0||41||1960||Hoogovens||A46 Queen's Pawn Game|
|22. T van Scheltinga vs J H Donner
|| ||½-½||54||1960||Hoogovens||E41 Nimzo-Indian|
|23. R Toran Albero vs J T Barendregt
|| ||0-1||70||1960||Hoogovens||C41 Philidor Defense|
|24. H Bouwmeester vs Larsen
|| ||½-½||55||1960||Hoogovens||B73 Sicilian, Dragon, Classical|
|25. Petrosian vs A Matanovic
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC