|Hübner - Adorjan Candidates Quarterfinal (1980)|
Hübner had qualified for this match from the Rio de Janeiro Interzonal (1979), and Adorjan had qualified from the Budapest Interzonal Playoff (1979) which followed after the Riga Interzonal (1979). The other quarterfinal matches were: Korchnoi - Petrosian Candidates Quarterfinal (1980), Portisch - Spassky Candidates Quarterfinal (1980) and Polugaevsky - Tal Candidates Quarterfinal (1980). In all matches, the winner was the first to get 5,5 points.
The playing venue was the Kurhaus (1) in Bad Lauterberg. (2) The Germans were said to be amused by the large delegation that came with Adorjan: three seconds, wife and daughter, and a psychotherapist. (3) Hübner had one second, the Icelandic GM Gudmundur Sigurjonsson, who according to Hübner "had to bear the whole burden of my moods and my chess inability". (3) According to the regulations, the players had three times the right to defer a game. (4) Adorjan did this before Game 2, before Game 8 on occasion of the celebration of his 30th birthday, (5) and before Game 9 because he was not feeling well. (6) Apparently, his opponent did not ask for suspensions. After eight games, Hübner was leading 2-1. Then came four days without play. In the ninth game, this position occurred:
click for larger view
Adorjan now squandered a chance to level the score with 65...Rxh3. He went for 65...Rc5, but after 66.Kxh4! Rxg5, Hübner was stalemated.
Bad Lauterberg, West Germany, 16 March - 9 April 1980
Henk Folkerts was Hauptschiedsrichter (main arbiter). (7)
Elo 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
1 GM Hübner 2600 ½ ½ 1 ½ 1 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ 5½
2 GM Adorjan 2550 ½ ½ 0 ½ 0 1 ½ ½ ½ ½ 4½
Hübner advanced to the Hübner - Portisch Candidates Semifinal (1980), and to the Korchnoi - Hübner Candidates Final (1980).
(3) Der Spiegel, 52/1980: http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print....
(4) De Telegraaf, 18 March 1980, p. 23.
(5) Het Vrije Volk, 1 April 1980, p. 15.
(6) De Waarheid, 5 April 1980, p. 7.
(7) Wolfram Runkel in Die Zeit, 4 April 1980: http://www.zeit.de/1980/15/noch-15-...
Original collection: Game Collection: Hübner - Adorjan Candidates Quarterfinal 1980 by User: Tabanus.
| page 1 of 1; 10 games
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC