| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 43
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 43
|Jan-30-17|| ||WannaBe: This is known as "Group C" of the tournament... Thought Group C was kaput.|
|Jan-30-17|| ||whiteshark: " <Another van Foreest to join the elites> 30-01-2017|
Lucas van Foreest did not waste any time on Sunday to make sure that at least one Van Foreest will be representing his illustrious chess family on stage during the 80th edition of the Tata Steel Chess Tournament in 2018.
He beat Lars Vereggen in no time with the black pieces in the final round of the <Top Amateur Group>. [-->L Vereggen vs L van Foreest, 2017
A draw would have been sufficient to take first place but at some point going for the win did not seem to involve any risk any longer, according Dutch champion Jorden van Foreest’s younger brother.
<‘Somebody had to step up’>, said Lucas after his game. <‘Unfortunately, we cannot rely on Jorden any longer’>. And indeed, the older brother did not fare well in this year’s edition of the Challengers section of the tournament.
In the last round, Jorden spoiled a winning position against Swedish grandmaster Nils Grandelius [-->J van Foreest vs N Grandelius, 2017 only to finish at a lowly 12th spot with a meagre 4 points.
And while their younger sister Machteld once more showed great promise in Wijk aan Zee and one day might be amongst the elite in the Moriaan playing hall, a position on the stage is not within her reach yet.
Lucas, however, got there at the first opportunity that came along.
<‘I sort of expected to win here. Hell, I played great chess’>, he said with a wink of his eye. But he actually did play great chess. There were times that chess pundits claimed the situation was clear: Jorden was, is and will ever be the best Van Foreest. They may think again, however. "
|Jan-30-17|| ||LucB: It's interesting to note that the young Indian Praggnanandhaa won all 4 games he played with white.|
|Aug-02-17|| ||Tabanus: http://amateurevents.tatasteelchess..., I updated the standings table according to it. Apparently Ketzetzis did not play the last two rounds.|
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC