| page 1 of 19; games 1-25 of 454
| page 1 of 19; games 1-25 of 454
|Jul-30-17|| ||FSR: Fun fact - this tournament began on my wife's and my wedding anniversary, and ends on my birthday.|
|Jul-30-17|| ||chessgames.com: Well in that case, belated congratulations and early happy birthday!|
|Jul-30-17|| ||FSR: <chessgames.com> Thank you!|
|Jul-31-17|| ||PhilFeeley: Lots of familiar faces. This should be good!|
|Jul-31-17|| ||morfishine: <FSR: Fun fact - this tournament began on my wife's and my wedding anniversary, and ends on my birthday> Are you lion?|
|Jul-31-17|| ||morfishine: No Michael Adams?|
|Jul-31-17|| ||PhilFeeley: Adams rarely plays this anymore. It's not a category 17+ event.|
|Jul-31-17|| ||PhilFeeley: For some strange reason, some of the games are well underway, while others haven't even started. It would be interesting to find out why. I haven't seen the live coverage yet.|
|Jul-31-17|| ||offramp: I have seen the players via webcam on Llandudno pier. The wind is billowing out of the seat of their breeches.
John Emms looked up and said What am I doing here? He pointed to show us the deserted beaches.|
|Jul-31-17|| ||keypusher: <offramp: I have seen the players via webcam on Llandudno pier. The wind is billowing out of the seat of their breeches. John Emms looked up and said What am I doing here? He pointed to show us the deserted beaches.>|
Good stuff...reminds me of the end of <Prufrock>.
Happy birthday, FSR!
|Jul-31-17|| ||tamar: I love it. Gormally and Emms having to hold on to their breeches as well as their pawns. Have to find that webcam. |
Prufrock, possibly, or maybe Emms was channeling Keats...
<Oh, ye! who have your eyeballs vexed and tired,
Feast them upon the wideness of the Sea;
Oh ye! whose ears are dinned with uproar rude,
Or fed too much with cloying melody---
Sit ye near some old Cavern's Mouth and brood,
Until ye start, as if the sea nymphs quired!>
|Jul-31-17|| ||FSR: <keypusher> Thanks!|
<morfishine> I am indeed a Leo.
|Jul-31-17|| ||tuttifrutty: Mc Shane will take the money and run...Bet your house on it...easy money...easier than playing the stock market...|
|Aug-02-17|| ||PhilFeeley: I see our man Simon isn't doing so well. A little rusty from no play?|
All those DVDs don't seem to be much help.
|Aug-02-17|| ||HeMateMe: Is Howell still in the financial sector, chess is just a hobby? I certainly wouldn't give up Goldman Sachs or wherever it is he works, for tournament chess.|
|Aug-02-17|| ||Troller: <HeMateMe: Is Howell still in the financial sector, chess is just a hobby?>|
I think you are mixing him up with Luke McShane. Luke is in finance and plays chess "on the side".
Howell, McShane and Gawain Jones are obvious favourites here, and even if there are many strong players present it would be a surprise should anyone manage to get ahead of all those 3 mentioned. Among them, Howell is probably most consistent (at least has the highest rating which sort of suggests the same), but we know that McShane sometimes performs +2700. Meanwhile Gawain Jones - playing a lot of team games - is often capable of raking up many wins against lesser players, an ability that could prove decisive in this format.
|Aug-02-17|| ||tuttifrutty: <Is Howell still in the financial sector, chess is just a hobby? I certainly wouldn't give up Goldman Sachs or wherever it is he works, for tournament chess.>|
Howell??? Lol a million times...
Stop drinking for a moment...so you can clear the foggy state of mind of yours.
|Aug-02-17|| ||HeMateMe: Tooty--magnus is world champion, and your boy will probably never even win the Candidates and get a shot at MC and the WC.|
Live with it.
|Aug-02-17|| ||tuttifrutty: There goes Luke, towering the British Championship...as a part time job...|
|Aug-06-17|| ||ketchuplover: When are the tie-breaks? tyia|
|Aug-06-17|| ||Imran Iskandar: Gawain Jones beats McShane in the final rapid match, with Jones defending a lost position to a draw in the final game to become the new British Champion. |
Very well done to McShane too, who is generally considered the strongest chess amateur, as mentioned by others on this page.
|Aug-06-17|| ||JimNorCal: Howell, I believe, made it back into the top 4 but did not survive the tie breaks. He had a decent result and most wins.|
|Aug-06-17|| ||Tabanus: I updated the standings table. There are a few missing games but only for the lower placed players. I found one duplicate game (slip sent), and no wrong game results! Sarah N Longson in rounds 2-9 is named Sarah N Hegarty in rd. 1. I requested Longson for rd. 1, but how to merge the two I don't know.|
|Aug-07-17|| ||siggemannen: Nice work by Craig A Hanley, an IM, taking shared first price|
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC