The 34th European Club Cup took place from 12-18 October 2018 at the Porto Carras Grand Resort in Chalkidiki, Greece. The tournament was a 7-round Swiss team event, played with the standard time-control of 90 minutes for 40 moves plus 30 minutes till the end of the game, with a 30-second increment per move from move 1. Standings were determined by Match points (2-1-0), and individual performance prizes were on offer for each board. The Open section was played on 6 boards (with up to 2 reserves) and consiste ... [more]
Player: Vlastimil Babula
| page 1 of 1; 6 games
|Oct-17-18|| ||Sargon: Response to:
|Oct-17-18|| ||rogge: Thanks :) A Norwegian team in 1st place, unbelievable...|
|Oct-17-18|| ||Boomie: <Sargon>
Traditionally, tournaments have had an introduction that includes a link to the official site. See, for example, 43rd Chess Olympiad (2018). This is especially important for team events. We can't have team results here without a lot of effort. So a link to team results is necessary as a courtesy to the members.
|Oct-17-18|| ||Annie K.: <Boomie> Yeah, but that's my job (or any other editor's), not Sargon's. Will be up soon. :)|
|Oct-18-18|| ||Count Wedgemore: Magnus is playing the Korchnoi Variation (5...exf6) of the Caro-Kann against Svidler in what may be a crucial game for the team result between Vålerenga (Oslo) and Mednyi (St.Petersburg). It is considered to be a tad passive, but very solid. I boldly predict a draw in their game today.|
|Oct-18-18|| ||bondll: Caruana less than 3 points behind Carlsen.|
|Oct-18-18|| ||Count Wedgemore: Vålerenga had a golden chance of being historic by becoming the first Norwegian club ever to become European Club Champions. But they went down 2-4 in their last match, so their dreams shattered. Life can be so cruel.|
Borki Predojevic blundered a whole piece rather early into his game against Maxim Rodshtein and had no other choice than to resign immediately. Grandelius, who has been playing really well in this tournament, also lost his game against Fedoseev.
|Oct-19-18|| ||sonia91: Podium:
1. Medniy Vsadnik St Petersburg (RUS)
2. AVE Novy Bor (CZE)
3. Molodezhka (RUS)
This is St Petersburg's second European Club Cup victory, the first one was in 2011. All team members are from St Petersburg.
It's worth noting that both Russian teams on the podium finished 1st and 3rd respectively in the Russian Team Championship 2018 as well.
Obiettivo Risarcimento Padova drew with Molodezhka in the last round to tie for 3rd place, but finished 4th on tiebreak...Padova didn't lose any match.
|Oct-28-18|| ||1d410: What happened to Kasparovian dominance in chess? Ouch! I want another Botvinnik!|
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC