| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|Jun-24-19|| ||diagonal: The city of Netanya already hosted an Invitational series, starting back in the 1960s, known most famously is the edition from 1968 when Bobby Fischer won: Netanya (1968).|
<Netanya Masters 2019> presents an even stronger round robin invitational Tournament: Ten players of which five are reputed world class players and the other five are form the Israeli top ones, meaning from the hosting nation, in traditional style.
The invited participants in order of Elo in FIDE June list 2019:
<GM Leinier Dominguez Perez USA, 2760 Elo, ranked no. 11 and top seeded
GM Peter Svidler RUS, 2737 Elo
GM Daniil Dubov RUS, 2700 Elo
GM Luke McShane ENG
GM Maxim Rodshtein ISR
GM Tamir Nabaty ISR
GM Boris Gelfand ISR
GM Pavel Eljanov UKR
GM Evgeny Postny ISR
GM Ilya Smirin ISR>
At the moment, McShane (former 2700+), Rodshtein (former 2700+), Nabaty, and Gelfand (longtime 2700+) are close to the notorious 2700 Elo border..
The total prize fund in the Masters is 100 thousands US dollars. The first prize is 25, 000 US dollars.
The Open tournament will be held simultaneously with the Masters’ event, at the same venue.
<Around 140 players had registered for the Open event. Top seeded is Korobov (former 2700+), followed by Kuzubov, both from Ukraine, both currently close to 2700 Elo as well.>
After two rounds, 'Lucky Luke' is leading with two wins!
Thanks at <Annie K.> for acting promptly and Chessgames for featuring this tournament.
|Jun-29-19|| ||sonia91: I think this is the first strong tournament (held with standard time control) in Israel since the European Individual Championship (2015) in Jerusalem.|
|Jul-01-19|| ||botvinnik64: Dominguez has white tomorrow against Gelfand in the last round.|
|Jul-02-19|| ||SChesshevsky: Svidler finally gets a win. Hoping to finish strong and get 50%.|
|Jul-02-19|| ||botvinnik64: Draw on the top board - Gelfand wins on tie breaks!|
|Jul-02-19|| ||dwavechess: I think one of the best performances by a 51 years old in recent times|
|Jul-02-19|| ||PhilFeeley: It's good to see Gelfand doing well again. He and Anand should keep going.|
|Jul-03-19|| ||diagonal: Nice to see Gelfand (born in 1968) still winning a major international event, congrats for this fine win!|
Gelfand was also the only one to go the distance at <Netanya Masters> without a defeat.
Mikhail Antipov, former World Junior Champion (2015) is clear first in the <Netanya Open>.
The next big chess meeting in Israel will be this December, the fourth and last leg of the FIDE Grand Prix series 2019, held in Tel Aviv.
The FIDE GP is a knock-out elimination where in every tournament 16 grandmasters fight for the spots in the following Candidate's Tournament 2020 to evaluate the next Challenger of Champion Carlsen.
Each round consists of two games with classical time control, and a series of tie-breaks (rapid, blitz, and Armageddon) in case of a tie, combined with a highly sophisticated points and bonus points system..
1st leg: May 16th – 30th - Moscow, Russia (played, Nepo won the final against Grischuk)
2nd leg: July 11th – 25th - Jurmala/Riga, Latvia
3rd leg: November 4th – 18th - Hamburg, Germany
4th leg: December 10th – 24th - Tel-Aviv, Israel
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC