chessgames.com: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
As most devoted Chessgames members know, the Kibitzing areas of Chessgames--like any large internet forum--have had their share of flame wars. Vitriolic exchanges fly back and forth between people who scarcely know each other. Lately, one of them in particular has become very visible, spilling onto pages of all sorts of classic games. This longstanding problem has now proliferated to the extent that nearly every Chessgames member has been exposed to it.
Lately, the Chessgames.com admins have had a flood of complaints, and as a result they've deleted many messages. We decided to start to keep score, and determine exactly which members are the cause of most of our disturbances. Not surprisingly, we found that the same names crop up again and again.
Now we're prepared to take extraordinary measures to try to stamp out this flame war: we have now placed a number of members on kibitzing probation. All of these individuals have been identified as the main participants of this flame war.
There are seven of them (at current count) and all been placed on kibitzing probation for one week, in what we call a "cooling off period". They are as follows: <Colonel Mortimer>, <JoergWalter>, <LIFE Master AJ>, <Nemesistic>, <Robed.Bishop>, <SimonWebbsTiger>, and <TheFocus>.
We hope that when this week is over, some degree of civility is restored.
The primary rule broken by all of these individuals is rule 3, "No personal attacks against other users", the rule tailor-made to discourage flame wars.
However, many of the deleted posts were also guilty of rule 1 (obscenity) and rule 3 (spamming/duplicating posts). We are not going to address the infractions on a post-by-post basis, but if you are earnestly confused at our posting policies, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll be happy to clarify your question.
During this cooling off period, our admins will continue to clean up some of the mess created during the past few months. However, they aren't going to try to bail water out of a leaking boat. If any antagonist tries to revive the flame war during this period, he or she will be placed on kibitzing probation without compunction.
We know that some people will have many more questions, so a list of notes is compiled below. Other questions are best addressed directly to email@example.com.
• The following individuals were not placed on the list in spite of identified posting violations. They are instead hereby issued warnings: <King Death>, <KKDEREK>, <Rob Lob Law>, and <theagenbiteofinwit>.
• The "cooling off period" extends from 12:00am midnight, Monday, February 27 to 12:00am midnight, Monday, March 5.
• This list is not perfect. There may be one or two people on it who don't deserve to be there. Meanwhile, there are surely people who deserve to be on it, yet aren't mentioned. So it goes.
• If you are on probation and want to communicate to an administrator for any reason, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Do NOT create an alternate account for any reason whatsoever.
• If you are on probation and feel a great need to voice your opinion about this matter in public, you have only two sanctioned methods: 1. Post something on your "bio" area, so that people can read it if they choose to pull up your profile page. 2. wait a week.
• If any member attempts to subvert this one week cooling off period by registering a second "sockpuppet" account, or using a sockpuppet account already established, they will be subject to an extended (if not indefinite) probation.
Finally, let us remind everybody that the purpose of this action is not to single out specific members, nor to "make an example" of out anybody, but rather to restore civility and decency to the forums. Please help us accomplish that goal by contributing to a peaceful Chessgames, in whatever way you are inclined.