|Feb-09-04|| ||Whitehat1963: Vicious counter-attack! |
|Mar-01-04|| ||InspiredByMorphy: This is a truly great game for the fan of the dutch defense! That is some outstanding play from Ivanchuk. |
|Apr-08-04|| ||notyetagm: Beautiful game. Some salient points:
1. e5 is an outpost for W in the Stonewall but e4 is NOT an outpost for B because W f-pawn can control e4 by moving to f3 (14 f3 in the game, forcing back the B knight on e4).
2. If B gets to play ...e5 in the Dutch, he is at least equal most of the time (17 ... e5).
3. To control an open file, control the 8th rank. Notice how 18 ... Ba6 controls f1 and keeps W from opposing on the f-file. Ivanchuk plays 18 ... Ba6 and then opens the f-file next move with 19 ... fxe4.
4. Opponent has 2 bishops, keep the center closed (20 ... d4, closing the center). Closing the center is also a good idea before launching a flank attack.
5. Artificial outpost with B knight on f2 (26 ... Nf2) due to B controlling f-file with his heavy pieces. B Nf2 not supported by a pawn but it cannot be attacked by a pawn either.
6. Moves 17-20 basically give B a much better game (-+) and they were all simple moves. Then B just attacks the kingside down the f-file and its 0-1. Amazing how a player as strong as Shirov could be beaten so easily by Simple Chess.
|Nov-18-04|| ||Poisonpawns: Ivanchuck at his best! Brilliant |
|Nov-18-04|| ||delterp: It's moves like 27) BxB? that give reason to Kasparov's comment that Shirov is just a enthusiastic amateur.
When somebody of Ivanchuck's skill offers you a free bishop . . . buyer beware!
27) Bg2 prevents total havok. |
|Nov-18-04|| ||panigma: Why are some openings named after the defence black plays, and others after the offense white plays? |
|Nov-19-04|| ||Poisonpawns: 27.Bg2 would be better than the actual continuation, but after h4 white is still getting crushed |
|Dec-02-04|| ||Minor Piece Activity: 15. c5 was a bit too optimistic. I can't find a good continuation for white after this. 15. Re1 with the idea of e4 looks more logical I think. |
|Jan-21-05|| ||GreenDayGuy: Great piece activity. Simply superb. |
|Jun-18-05|| ||notyetagm: Great game by Ivanchuk.
|Aug-08-07|| ||kingsindian2006: the thrilla in manila..|
|Feb-10-09|| ||seagull1756: I bumped into this game preparing Dutch Stonewall for a tournament - why is it not better known?!? It seems perfect for any beginner's book on Dutch|
|Feb-10-09|| ||slomarko: Shirov played like a patzer. whats the point of Nd3 and then jumping on e5 with the other knight only to exchange it?|
|Feb-10-09|| ||Jim Bartle: Right! I was wondering what brilliant maneuver Shirov was pulling off with his knights and e5, and then he just exchanged on with Nxd7.|
|Feb-11-09|| ||seagull1756: Shirov exchanged knights in order to be able to make his fifteenth move, which I think was his biggest strategic mistake - after that black's "dutch" bishop becomes just too powerful. A rare case of self-destruction, and also a reminder that black's 'e' pawn doesn't always have to remain on the sixth rank...|
|Feb-23-12|| ||LoveThatJoker: Tremendous game by Ivanchuk.