chessgames.com
Members · Prefs · Laboratory · Collections · Openings · Endgames · Sacrifices · History · Search Kibitzing · Kibitzer's Café · Chessforums · Tournament Index · Players · Kibitzing

William James Lombardy vs Samuel Reshevsky
New York ch-Manhattan C.C. (1956), New York, NY USA, rd 3, Aug-14
Spanish Game: Morphy Defense. Mackenzie Variation (C77)  ·  1/2-1/2
ANALYSIS [x]

FEN COPIED

explore this opening
find similar games 16 more Lombardy/Reshevsky games
PGN: download | view | print Help: general | java-troubleshooting

TIP: You should register a free account to activate some of Chessgames.com's coolest and most powerful features.

PGN Viewer:  What is this?
For help with this chess viewer, please see the Olga Chess Viewer Quickstart Guide.
PREMIUM MEMBERS CAN REQUEST COMPUTER ANALYSIS [more info]

Kibitzer's Corner
May-10-16  TrczkWszczinsk: What a pity that Lombardy missed 37. Rc6!! bxc6 38. b6, and the b pawn is unstoppable!
May-11-16  Granny O Doul: Nice find there.
Mar-06-18
Premium Chessgames Member
  sycophante: Just came across this tactical shot on chesstempo. Found it in 9 minutes! It must be very hard to find OTB.
Mar-06-18  Granny O Doul: I wonder if Lombardy ever realized what he missed here? I forgot to ask him about it the last time I saw him.
Mar-06-18
Premium Chessgames Member
  ChessHigherCat: That's probably why he's still talking to you.

This variation wins, too: 37. Rc6 Rxc6 38. bxc6 Be6 39. cxb7

Mar-07-18  SpiritedReposte: <37.Rc6!!> Is a stroke of genius, a true double exclam move.

Sunday puzzle?

Mar-07-18
Premium Chessgames Member
  Sally Simpson: Hi SpiritedReposte,

Sadly because Lombardy missed it then it cannot make the POTD.

White to play


click for larger view

I'd rank it a Tuesday/Wednesday puzzle because if you have seen the idea before and 'KNOW' there is something on then you look for tactics and there is very little else on the board to suggest a tactic except that pawn on the 5th rank. "...can I get that pawn through?"

The only other tactical element worth looking at is the Black Rook which is defending the Bishop, it is short of squares (it has two) a check on d8 will reduce that to one. But there is no way to hit the Rook. However hopefully thinking along this line will get you too spotting the Rc6 idea.

It's one of them. You will get within a minute (even shorter) or if you have never seen the idea before then you will struggle to the point of thinking the diagram has been set up wrong (they very rarely are...stay with it.)

If it cropped up OTB. One would have to rely very strongly on the gut feeling kicking in and even then acknowledging that your brain has spotted a familiar face in the crowd.

In Solving you are told there is someone here you recognise.

OTB you not told when to scan the crowd, you are hoping your trained gut feeling alerts you to a critical moment.

I have to say there is 99% chance I would have missed it OTB. I'm being generous with my 1% but I have seen the idea before so hopefully I would get a '..wait a minute....STOP!" signal that I'd recognise.

----

This was the third game of a training match organised to get Reshevsky match fit for a match v Bronstein to take place in December 1956. The match never happened in the end due to political unrest.

This game was being played whilst the first one was adjourned. I do not know the time controls but the fad at the time was 40 moves in 2 hours so Lombardy could have been (pure speculation) in T.T. on move 37.

Apparently the weather was hot...very hot.

Chess Review, September 1956, pages 259-260.

A picture of game 2 in progress.

https://image.ibb.co/dcpUa7/lombard...

Mar-07-18  Petrosianic: <Apparently the weather was hot...very hot.>

Sounds like the opening of a Hemingway novel.

Mar-07-18  SpiritedReposte: Sally, I thought I've seen potd where the best move wasn't played?

I like the analogy of "a problem is like being told you know someone in a crowd"

Mar-08-18
Premium Chessgames Member
  Sally Simpson: Hi SpiritedReposte,

Maybe there is one in here somewhere. But usually to see the solution to POTD you click on the game continuation to see what was played.

If it was a missed shot the solution would have to be an added piece of analysis.

There is a difference between 'solving mode' and playing.

In solving mode you have been told there is someone their you recognise. It's a bit like 'Where's Wally.'

When playing Wally maybe hiding behind a rock, standing right in front of you or someone who looks like Wally giving you a wave. (don't wave back).

Also be wary of your opponent sending false Wally's to roam the board or genuine Wally's disguised as bars of chocolate.

---

Hi Petrosianic,

The caption under that picture mentions that the usual kibitzers had to go and get some air.

I had cut it off. The hot...very hot was meant to be a lead in. I forgot to delete it.

However:

It was hot...very hot.

The two players were so engrossed in their game they never saw the wet old man wander passed their board carrying a sad looking marlin....

Mar-12-18
Premium Chessgames Member
  Sally Simpson: Hi SpiritedReposte,

As if to prove me wrong. Todays POTD was a missed mate in two.

White (Carlsen) to play.


click for larger view

Carlsen vs K Holm, 2018

NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply. Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it entitles you to features otherwise unavailable. Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should login now.
Please observe our posting guidelines:
  1. No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
  2. No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
  3. No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
  4. Nothing in violation of United States law.
  5. No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
  6. NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
  7. Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
  8. The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
  9. The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
  10. All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
  11. Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
Blow the Whistle See something that violates our rules? Blow the whistle and inform a Moderator.

NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page. This forum is for this specific game and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.

Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.

This game is type: CLASSICAL. Please report incorrect or missing information by submitting a correction slip to help us improve the quality of our content.

<This page contains Editor Notes. Click here to read them.>

Featured in the Following Game Collections[what is this?]
Match Reshevsky!
by amadeus
37.Rc6!
from Missing things by SwitchingQuylthulg


home | about | login | logout | F.A.Q. | your profile | preferences | Premium Membership | Kibitzer's Café | Biographer's Bistro | new kibitzing | chessforums | Tournament Index | Player Directory | Notable Games | World Chess Championships | Opening Explorer | Guess the Move | Game Collections | ChessBookie Game | Chessgames Challenge | Store | privacy notice | contact us
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC