chessgames.com
Members · Prefs · Laboratory · Collections · Openings · Endgames · Sacrifices · History · Search Kibitzing · Kibitzer's Café · Chessforums · Tournament Index · Players · Kibitzing

(If you register a free account you won't see all these ads!)
Magnus Carlsen vs Viswanathan Anand
Anand - Carlsen World Championship (2013), Chennai IND, rd 8, Nov-19
Spanish Game: Berlin Defense. Rio Gambit Accepted (C67)  ·  1/2-1/2
ANALYSIS [x]

FEN COPIED

explore this opening
find similar games 114 more Carlsen/Anand games
PGN: download | view | print Help: general | java-troubleshooting

TIP: If you do not want to read posts by a certain member, put them on your ignore list.

PGN Viewer:  What is this?
For help with this chess viewer, please see the Olga Chess Viewer Quickstart Guide.
PREMIUM MEMBERS CAN REQUEST COMPUTER ANALYSIS [more info]

Kibitzer's Corner
< Earlier Kibitzing  · PAGE 12 OF 12 ·  Later Kibitzing>
Nov-19-13  Slink: <keypusher: "Rio Gambit" is a ludicrously lively name for this variation. I think it should be called the <____ Exchange Variation>. Fill in the blank with Berlin's dullest suburb.>

Marzahn Exchange Variation

Nov-19-13  Kazzak: Marzahn Bypass
Nov-19-13
Premium Chessgames Member
  Penguincw: < keypusher: <Penguincw: I'm guessing both sides were saving energy for tomorrow.>

Future readers won't understand how funny this post is. >

What I meant to say was "next game".

Nov-20-13
Premium Chessgames Member
  Richard Taylor: twinlark: People are quick to jump on Anand. Let's face it, sooner or later he had to relinquish his crown.

BUT...he hasn't done so just yet. I can understand him wanting to stabilise the ship with White in game 7 and simply draw with Black on game 8.

<Four games left to equalise.

I predict he will go all out as White and try and draw as Black. Then try and win in the rapid tiebreakers.

Game 9 should be an interesting struggle if this evaluation of Anand's strategy is correct. All his life he's been a fighter, and now he faces the most powerful opponent he could possibly face, younger, fitter, stronger and possibly even hungrier.

I predict the next 4 games will be a real struggle.>

Yes. It is easy for us on the sidelines! Anand, even if he loses the match will still have shown he was a great player as we know his previous play. After all Kasparov was stopped in his tracks by Kramnik.

Anand might even return and beat Carlsen one day.

He might win enough yet, even: he played well in the first three games and the last 2 draws were technically vey impressive and possibly as good a policy as any. The fans want more but they aren't playing there!

Nov-20-13
Premium Chessgames Member
  Richard Taylor: < ragtag: Were you thrilled today? If so, please restart to use your medication... >

Yes, that was the young commentator! But in a way, now I've calmed down, I can see that Anand may be recovering. He isn't going mad. He is playing principled chess. He could play some crazy off-beat stuff - but only he knows what he needs to or can do. Carlsen is good but hasn't played anything very remarkable yet. His first win was a good fight, but Anand missed chances): then Anand seemed to go AWOL and it was relatively easy to play for Black. So there is less difference between these players than the score says. I commend Anand for proceeding with dignity under fire.

Nov-20-13
Premium Chessgames Member
  keypusher: <EddieGordoOfChess: This could've and should've been 8 draws by now--not quite the domination that Carlsen fans were anticipating.>

And your aunt could've and should've had balls.

Also, I think those Carlsen fans exist only in your angry head. This Carlsen fan was expecting two Carlsen wins and the rest draws. I expected the second win to come at the end, so he's ahead of schedule.

<Slink> <Marzahn Exchange Variation> Good...

<Kazzak><Marzahn Bypass> Better!

Nov-20-13  Conrad93: Key Pusher is a huge Carlsen fanboy. Avoid an argument with him.
Nov-20-13  Conrad93: Keypusher, by <angry Carlsen fans> I think he meant people like you.
Nov-20-13  Ulhumbrus: <Richard Taylor: ... I can see that Anand may be recovering. He isn't going mad. He is playing principled chess. He could play some crazy off-beat stuff - but only he knows what he needs to or can do.> A good point. Anand is the one to decide what he needs to do
Nov-20-13
Premium Chessgames Member
  Richard Taylor: <Ulhumbrus> Yes. Looking at the games more objectively Anand doesn't look so bad and Carlsen hasn't really done anything that is particularly "adventurous" or anything we might call a great game: although I think his win of the ending showed the knowledge and ability of the great Tarrasch.

Anand has played players closer his age. Player of Carlsen's age or younger are very hard to play. I play very good players (8,9,10,14?) who seem, while I am playing to be AWOL so to speak. They look all over the place and often seem bored (as Carlsen seems): but many of them come up with some sharp chess - in any case they will take advantage of blunders.

It is very hard to play such players. It seems far worse to lose to younger and usually lower rated player (and Anand would subconsciously think of himself as the higher rated.

So the problems are psychological. In chess terms there is not much difference in ability. Carlsen misfired through nervousness in the first three games (I actually saw him literally drop a knight when making won move) and then Anand began to make errors. The 6th game by him was clearly a reaction to his unnecessary loss the day before although Carlsen played that with some panache.

In the sixth game (when Anand was White against the Berlin and played d3 there was no reason for him to lose. He could have recaptured on b3 with the N and then pushed d4 at the right time and it would have been just a small advantage to White and probably a draw which means he would now only e 1 game down. Carlsen blundered in the first game by playing his N to c3 which could as easily have been say a blunder of piece. So, the match is not convincing.

Anand's team need to look at these (paradoxically) positive as aspects.

Carlsen clearly has played well overall if a bit phlegmatically: his problem might be that he will take things to easy, thinking he has it "in the bag".

A loss could send him into a panic especially if he then faces a difficult position: then he will start remembering what Anand has been able to achieve. But he seems pretty well adjusted for a young punk, and might just coast in.

That would be yawnish for those wanting some entertainment!

Nov-20-13  Shams: <Conrad93> No, <keypusher> is a reality fanboy. It's not his fault the fantasists, at the moment, happen to be pointing their nonsense at Carlsen.

Have you mastered the en passant rule yet, Mister 2200 ELO?

Nov-20-13  MindCtrol9: Who is force to win here is Anand not Carlsen who is winning 2-0.Carlsen does not have to risk now,he has to play smart not paying attention to the critics.I think he knows very well what he is doing.
Nov-21-13  Shamot: The title for this game should be:
"e8 them all without effort"
Nov-21-13  EddieGordoOfChess: <keypusher>

ah yeah. Carlsen fans were predicting 10 draws, and for Carlsen to edge out Anand in 2 endgames that were clearly drawable; which any of the top 10-20 players would have good odds of doing. Okay. Yeah.

Nov-22-13
Premium Chessgames Member
  keypusher: <EddieGordoOfChess: <keypusher>

ah yeah. Carlsen fans were predicting 10 draws, and for Carlsen to edge out Anand in 2 endgames that were clearly drawable; which any of the top 10-20 players would have good odds of doing. Okay. Yeah.>

Here's what I said September 20:

<keypusher: I expect wins will be very hard to come by in this match. Two wins for Carlsen, none for Anand seems most likely to me.>

Anand-Carlsen World Championship (2013)

I was too pessimistic. I do expect Carlsen's opponents to keep losing those <clearly drawable> endings, though.

Nov-22-13  EddieGordoOfChess: <keypusher>

Carlsen fans were all over this and every other message board; they don't just exist in my head. The fact that YOU had a more tempered outlook says nothing about the rest of them and if you predicted 10 draws, then clearly my original comment had nothing to do with you. In fact, I myself am a Carlsen fan, so when I said "Carlsen fans" I didn't mean every single solitary one of us.

Nov-22-13
Premium Chessgames Member
  keypusher: <EddieGordoofchess>

I can't recall any predictions better than +3. Even if such predictions had been made, given that +3 is what happened, someone predicting +4 would be no more wrong than I was.

<Carlsen fans were all over this and every other message board; they don't just exist in my head.>

You should have no trouble quoting a few, then.

Nov-22-13  EddieGordoOfChess: <keypusher> I said thru 8 games, Carlsen had not dominated the way "carlsen fans" anticipated. I read on this site and others from fans that stats experts were publishing 90%+ odds for a Carlsen victory and 10% or less odds for a drawn match in regulation. Through 8 games it looked like that 10% was off base.
Nov-22-13
Premium Chessgames Member
  keypusher: <EddieGordoOfChess: <keypusher> I said thru 8 games, Carlsen had not dominated the way "carlsen fans" anticipated. I read on this site and others from fans that stats experts were publishing 90%+ odds for a Carlsen victory and 10% or less odds for a drawn match in regulation. Through 8 games it looked like that 10% was off base.>

After 8 games, with the higher-rated player up by two with a maximum of four to play, 10% chance of Carlsen <not> winning looks very pessimistic to me.

Here's the article I assume was being referred to. It is an interesting read.

https://chessbase.com/post/are-the-...

Nov-22-13  EddieGordoOfChess: Yes, he was up by 2 but I will go back to the nature of his wins. This match isn't what anyone predicted. Everyone predicted that Carlsen would win against solid play from Anand because he's better than Anand. No one predicted that Anand would blunder away the championship. I was watching game 5 live and the computer categorized 3 of Anand's last 15 moves as "weak". I also watched each press conference. He lost two drawn positions with weak uncharacteristic moves. That's what I meant by 'could've and should've'. It's not convincing that Anand was beaten giving his best in games 5 and 6. Unless GMs want to say that Anands poor play was forced somehow (the fatigue factor and physical conditions theory,etc.) And he clearly blundered away game 9, but that's a different subject.

BTW that is an interesting read.

Nov-22-13
Premium Chessgames Member
  keypusher: <Everyone predicted that Carlsen would win against solid play from Anand because he's better than Anand. No one predicted that Anand would blunder away the championship.>

I don't agree with your characterization of games five and six, to put it mildly. But I'll let that be argued argued by annotators (and engines) stronger than either one of us.

I do know a little bit about chess history. And I can tell you that from Bourdonnais-McDonnell right through Anand-Gelfand, match games and even matches get decided regularly by jaw-dropping blunders.

And Anand has been pretty blunder-prone in recent years, which is why he fell down the rating table. In fact, his last two losses to Carlsen before this match included blunders at the end, albeit in lousy positions.

Given this information, which is freely available to anyone with a modem, if <no one> predicted that Anand would blunder away his title, then I can only conclude that <everyone> (except me) is an incurious, ignorant fool. (Sorry, <Everyone>.)

<I was watching game 5 live and the computer categorized 3 of Anand's last 15 moves as "weak".>

Just 20% in a difficult ending after 5-6 hours of play? And you think that's high? You've led a sheltered life.

I promise you, just start running past world championship games through an engine, and the game scores will light up like Christmas trees.

Carlsen <is> better than Anand. The most significant way in which he's better is that he makes fewer blunders.

Nov-26-13
Premium Chessgames Member
  Richard Taylor: < chessic eric: <Richard Taylor: Ich bin einer Berliner. [einer?]> Ich bin Berliner. :-) >

I see: my grandson's father is German and once I listened to him talking on the telephone for about 10 minutes and I had no idea of any thing he was saying! Once i heard him say the German for winter I think...when I broke my leg I was in the Krankenhaus I think it was! Kranken sound pretty cranky or brokeny!

So maybe Kennedy wasn't speaking "proper" German. I have no doubt there are many dialects.

The Berlin opening is I think NOT drawish, I think Anand was on the right track to play d3 but he didn't follow up aggressively enough. He played the whole match like a stunned mullet.

Dec-03-13  LIFE Master AJ: < He played the whole match like a stunned mullet.>

While true, to a certain extent, a lot of credit has to go to Carlsen, who seemed to be both better prepared and ready to play. (Once he got over the early part of the match, that is.)

Dec-03-13  LIFE Master AJ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8q...

My video on game #8 of this match.

Apr-09-14  joddon: sorry to say this game looks like the worst to amateurs can play from a chess club .....this game has no tactics, no excitement, what are these two guys doing...like a date , they are having fun amusing one another.i hope 2014 wont be this way.ive seen 8 yr old kids play this game....whats going on with world champion players??
Jump to page #    (enter # from 1 to 12)
search thread:   
< Earlier Kibitzing  · PAGE 12 OF 12 ·  Later Kibitzing>
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply. Getting your account takes less than a minute, totally anonymous, and 100% free--plus, it entitles you to features otherwise unavailable. Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should login now.
Please observe our posting guidelines:
  1. No obscene, racist, sexist, or profane language.
  2. No spamming, advertising, or duplicating posts.
  3. No personal attacks against other members.
  4. Nothing in violation of United States law.
  5. No posting personal information of members.
Blow the Whistle See something that violates our rules? Blow the whistle and inform an administrator.


NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page. This forum is for this specific game and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or this site, you might try the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors.
Spot an error? Please submit a correction slip and help us eliminate database mistakes!
This game is type: CLASSICAL (Disagree? Please submit a correction slip.)

Featured in the Following Game Collections [what is this?]
World Championship Match, game 8
from Carlsen in World Championships: the 2013 cycle by alexmagnus
8th round . A dead draw
from Carlsen-Anand World Championships 2013 by sachSA
Chess Network Videos: Part 2
by Penguincw
Spanish B Defense Bin Fed Fredthebear
by fredthebear
Ruy Lopez, Berlin, leading to drawn ending
from Drawing lines by FSR
Anand - Carlsen World Championship (2013)
by G Kasparov
another draw only speeds Anand's demise.
from Anand-Carlsen WC November 2013 by kevin86
Digest Games
by npchess
Game 8, Carlsen leads 5-3
from 2013 World Chess Championship by Penguincw
Volume 91, Game 2
from # Chess Evolution Volumes 51-100 by Qindarka
Anand-Carlsen WCC 2013
by chessgames.com
Magnus Carlsen
by akatombo


home | about | login | logout | F.A.Q. | your profile | preferences | Premium Membership | Kibitzer's Café | Biographer's Bistro | new kibitzing | chessforums | Tournament Index | Player Directory | Notable Games | World Chess Championships | Opening Explorer | Guess the Move | Game Collections | ChessBookie Game | Chessgames Challenge | Store | privacy notice | contact us
Copyright 2001-2018, Chessgames Services LLC