< Earlier Kibitzing · PAGE 170 OF 170 ·
|May-27-15|| ||Annie K.: Heh, who were they? :)
Ah, you would like the game 'Steelcurse' by Hyptosis then. It's very charmingly retro in just that way, plus very funny too. I think I linked to it here a while back.
|May-27-15|| ||SwitchingQuylthulg: <Annie K.: Heh, who were they? :)>|
The Serpent of Chaos; the Unicorn of Order; Oberon, something-or-other of Amber; quite a few others, most of whom I've forgotten or never identified as Zelazny characters or never even ran into. Eric, Brand and Rinaldo ring a faint bell; are they from Zelazny or is my memory completely off?
|May-27-15|| ||Annie K.: Your memory is fine. :D
They are all Zelazny's - characters from the Amber series. The Serpent and the Unicorn are more like deities, or primal powers, both necessary for the balance that creates Shadow, which lies between them and is the continuum of realities of which our Earth is one, ;) so it would be hard to call either an antagonist, although they certainly have their own agendas and are not exactly benign either. ;p
Of the other (more or less) human characters, only one can be definitively called an antagonist, but I won't say who, because that would spoil a good part of the first half of the series. :p
Oh, you absolutely must read the Chronicles of Amber!!! It's - just fill in a long string of your most enthusiastic superlatives of choice. :)
To be found either as 10 separate booklets, or as the single book called 'The Great Book of Amber'... for example, right here: http://www.e-reading.life/bookreade... ;)
|May-28-15|| ||SwitchingQuylthulg: <The Serpent and the Unicorn are more like deities, or primal powers, both necessary for the balance that creates Shadow, which lies between them and is the continuum of realities of which our Earth is one>|
I suppose that explains why I had to level up so much.
<Oh, you absolutely must read the Chronicles of Amber!!! It's - just fill in a long string of your most enthusiastic superlatives of choice. :)>
Fabulous? Fantastic? Out of this world?
|May-28-15|| ||Annie K.: Well, that's a good start, but could use at least 5 more superlatives. Lessee... Great, amazing, wonderful, incredible, and unforgettable. OK, now that *almost* expresses how good it really is. ;)|
|May-31-15|| ||wordfunph: <Switch> happy birthday!|
|May-31-15|| ||SwitchingQuylthulg: <wordfunph> Thanks, and happy birthday! :)|
|May-31-15|| ||Penguincw: Uh, Happy Birthday <Switch>. :)|
P.S. I thought your birthday was around June 29th. SwitchingQuylthulg chessforum (kibitz #4197)
|May-31-15|| ||SwitchingQuylthulg: I have many birthdays :)|
|May-31-15|| ||Annie K.: <Switch> Happy Birthday, or Non-Birthday, As The Case May Be, as per protocol. ;)|
|May-31-15|| ||SwitchingQuylthulg: <Annie> <Penguincw> Happy birthday (or non-birthday) to you too :)|
|Jun-08-15|| ||centralfiles: <assuming for this exercise that white/black/draw all have the same chances on any individual game.|
1.let's refer to the possibilities (white/black/draw) as A B and C where it's inconsequential which refers to which.
2.we know that one(A) of the three (white/black/draw) will be even given that there is an even amount of boards in sample.
3.assuming any even amount for A(e.g. 0-2-4-6 etc.) the rest of the boards will have a 50% chance of either both B and C being odd or both being even.
4.So the odds for any particular choice (i.e. white) having an odd number is only 1/3!
<That would be step 3:>
<3.assuming any even amount for A(e.g. 0-2-4-6 etc.) the rest of the boards will have a 50% chance of either both B and C being odd or both being even.>
<There's no reason why both of those should have a 50% chance. (Indeed, the probability that both B and C are odd approaches 75% very rapidly as the number of games increases.)>
Your not answering my point
If all we knew about a-b-c was that A was even and b-c were of equal probability in any single event then of course the odds of b and c both being even is exactly 50%.
|Jun-08-15|| ||SwitchingQuylthulg: <centralfiles: Your [sic] not answering my point|
If all we knew about a-b-c was that A was even and b-c were of equal probability in any single event then of course the odds of b and c both being even is exactly 50%.>
The simple (and incomplete) answer here is that we've selected A <on the basis> that it's even. There are four possibilities (EVEN/EVEN/EVEN; ODD/ODD/EVEN; ODD/EVEN/ODD; EVEN/ODD/ODD) and only one of those (25%) corresponds to both B and C being even; so it makes sense that the probability of both B and C being odd would be about 75%.
Now it's your turn to explain why not only are the odds not 50/50, but also not 75/25.
|Jun-08-15|| ||centralfiles: its still 50/50 6 even 6 odd|
|Jun-08-15|| ||centralfiles: even/even/even is +100% even the others are only +33% odd|
|Jun-08-15|| ||SwitchingQuylthulg: Which is an argument (a flawed one, incidentally) that you have a 50% chance of picking "even" and a 50% chance of picking "odd" if you pick randomly... not that you have a 50% chance of picking "B/C = even/even" and a 50% chance of picking "B/C = odd/odd" if you pick randomly.|
|Jun-08-15|| ||centralfiles: Well you assumed that all four possibilities are equal which isn't accurate.|
The true odds should be something like 1/3^n in favor of even where n is the sample number.
I was just giving a brain teaser (your explanation cannot be explained by the average person).
BTW I never meant it to be for all 50 games the top 10 are just fine but the tourney is over anyhow maybe next time.
|Jun-09-15|| ||SwitchingQuylthulg: <centralfiles: Well you assumed that all four possibilities are equal which isn't accurate.|
The true odds should be something like 1/3^n in favor of even where n is the sample number.>
|Jun-14-15|| ||WinKing: Coming up the 3rd Norway Chess 2015 Tournament - http://2015.norwaychess.com/superto...|
The tournament runs from June 15th-26th, 2015.
< Prediction Contests: (Win virtual medals - Gold, Silver & Bronze) >
User: YouRang - Predict the
result 1-0, 1/2, or 0-1 (3 categories to medal in)
lostemperor chessforum - Predict the order the
players will finish. (3 categories to medal in)
User: OhioChessFan - Predict
the result 1-0, 1/2, or 0-1 & the number of moves for each game.
(4 categories to medal in)
As of this posting I know <lostemperor>'s & <chessmoron>'s contests
will be active. I have not heard from <YouRang> yet so I am not
sure about his contest.
Also don't forget about <chessgames> ChessBookie game for this event.
He can't wait to take some or all of your chessbucks. ;)
Don't miss out on the fun for this Super Tournament!
|Jun-29-15|| ||Penguincw: Hi <Switch>. Just dropping by to wish you a Happy Birthday (or non-Birthday). :)|
P.S. Any reason why you only participated for 2 rounds at <cm>'s contest?
|Jun-30-15|| ||moronovich: Happy Birthday <Switch> !|
Just 2 days before my wife ;)
|Jun-30-15|| ||SwitchingQuylthulg: <Penguincw> <moronovich> Thanks for the non-birthday wishes!|
<Penguincw> I guess I've just become forgetful... too many birthdays will do that to you :)
|Jun-30-15|| ||Alien Math: <SwitchingQuylthulg> Hope your day are well ^.^|
|Jun-30-15|| ||SwitchingQuylthulg: <Alien Math> Thanks :)|
Happy non-birthday to all of you!
|Jun-30-15|| ||moronovich: Thanks <Switch>> !|
I will enjoy my non-birthday ;)
with many more to come- big smiley-
< Earlier Kibitzing · PAGE 170 OF 170 ·