NEW USERS: Getting Started
Founded on an extensive database of historical chess games combined with discussion forums, Chessgames.com is the internet's first and foremost chess community, where players of every skill level are encouraged to participate. From novices to grandmasters, all members can learn from those who are stronger players, while guiding those who are less experienced.
Register now. It's quick, free, and anonymous. This will allow you to "kibitz" in our discussion forums, make game collections, and use other powerful features.
To search our chess database, fill out one or more fields on the form above, and click Find Chess Games!
Please take a few minutes to read the Help Page.
- · On December 10th, 2020, Chessgames turned 19 years old!
- · The 2nd Chessgames Thematic Challenge let members play each other by voting on moves. The game had turned into some sort of Traxler-Defense / Evans Gambit hybrid.
- · Our new Analysis Laboratory is a playground of computer engine tools. Evaluate any position, variation, or entire game with our super-strong Stockfish™ dedicated server. (Premium members only.)
- · We have a new chess viewer! Just select "Olga Viewer" from the pulldown menu under any game, and leave your feedback here.
- · Our Opening Explorer now has a button to reveal analysis by the Stockfish™ chess engine for all major positions.
- · Wondering when Kasparov last played, or need to find today's game by your favorite GM? Our new "Recent Games" column now found on player pages is a shortcut to the games they played last.
- · The new Notable Games of All Time feature shows our members' picks for the best chess games across years, decades, and centuries!
- · The Chess Book Forum is a member-moderated area for the discussion, research, and reviews of chess books.
- · Our Similar Games link found on any game page is now greatly improved.
- · Our revolutionary chess training tool, Guess-the-Move, now has over 14,000 games to choose from! If you haven't tried it, check out our free sample game Tal-Lutikov; it's almost like playing a grandmaster!
- · After 6 months and 36 moves, The World Team defeated GM Arkadij Naiditsch at the Chessgames Challenge! See the game here.
- · Premium Members can now search on Event (the most recent 100 major chess events) or on Endgame Type (pawn ending, rook ending, etc.) from the Advanced Search above.
- · Our Tournament Index now includes a handy text search, so you can look up tournaments involving Lasker, events from 2004, Tal Memorial, tournaments in Berlin, etc. Give it a try!
- · The Chessgames Challenge Simon Williams vs The World is now over after GM Williams resigned after the winning shot 33...Be3!! Congratulations to all who participated in this game and many thanks to GM Williams for being such a lively and creative adversary.
- · We now have over 21,000 Game Collections compiled by our members.
- · Chessgames member "Once" has published a collection of his stories related to our Puzzles of the Day, titled Once Upon a Chess Game and now available on Amazon in Kindle format.
- · You can now pay for Chessgames premium membership with our new PayPal® Checkout Page.
- · GM Simon Williams has accepted the Chessgames Challenge! Sign up for the game today and join the massive World Team and attempt to take down a grandmaster!
- · The World vs GM Akobian is over; Akobian resigned on move 35. Congratulations to the 1400+ people on the Chessgames World Team for defeating one of the USA's strongest grandmasters!
- · Our Chess Gift Page allows you to give the gift of chess, by purchasing an account for another Chessgames member.
- · Our New Tournaments Page now displays the latest chess events added by our staff, plus historical tournaments being organized by members. This allows us to have kibiziting on famous historical events such as Hastings (1895) and AVRO (1938).
- · By popular vote of Chessgames members, the Thematic Challenge was the Albin Countergambit (1.d4 d5 2.c4 e5). After 40 moves, the game was drawn. You can see the game here: Team White vs Team Black (2012).
- · Thanks to everybody for joining us during the Anand-Gelfand World Chess Championship, and special thanks to our very special guests, WGM Natalia Pogonina and WGM Jennifer Shahade.
- · Our Live Broadcast Page now has special enhancements for mobile devices such as Androids and iPhones.
- · Be sure to check out the new Chessgames Store, a veritable chess supermarket complete with sets, boards, clocks, books, DVDs--anything your chess-loving heart can imagine!
- · Chessgames Challenge VII is over! The Chessgames Challenge pits world-class grandmasters against teams of thousands of chess fans. The gauntlet was laid down, and GM Varuzhan Akobian was brave enough to accept the challenge. After 32 moves the Chessgames team managed to draw this world-class grandmaster. Congratulations!
- · USCF members, be sure to check out the article about Chessgames and the Chessgames Challenge, Brave New World: Human Intuition and Computer-assisted Chess, in the August 2011 issue of Chess Life.
- · Have a question about chess history? Spot an error on a player biography? Want to exchange stories with other chess history buffs? Check out the new Biographer Bistro.
- · The World vs Natalia Pogonina game is over; after 62 moves it was drawn. Congratulations to both GM Pogonina and the World Team for their fine performances.
- · Our new Hot Games feature shows you what games people have been interested in lately. The list appears to the right, below "Example Searches."
- · Our Pun Submission Page is back online, along with our Pun Voting Booth. Note that this is now a permanent site feature and no longer a contest.
- · The new "My Favorites" feature allows you to track your favorite Chessgames members.
- · We now have completed our History of the World Chess Championship, a historical overview of the most coveted title in chess.
- · We now have new powerful hardware to better serve our members. Thanks to all of the premium members who made this upgrade possible.
- · Our new Game Collections Page allows you to search for game collections by keyword.
- · Each day, you can sample the powerful Repertoire Explorer for free! Just click on the Player of the Day, and follow the links by the magnifying glass to fully explore his or her openings. For more information on premium membership, please see our Premium Membership Page.
- · Follow us on Facebook and Twitter by clicking the links below!
Go to our registration page and get a free account today: you'll be able to make posts ("kibitzing"), start game collections, participate in our regular contests, and so much more!
- Westerinen vs G Sigurjonsson, 1977 1-0
- Fischer vs V Pupols, 1955 0-1
- Mamedyarov vs Aronian, 2021 1-0
- Grischuk vs Lupulescu, 2021 1-0
- Grischuk vs Deac, 2021 1-0
- Radjabov vs Grischuk, 2021 1/2-1/2
- Y Gutop vs A Kuindzhy, 1977 1-0
- Capablanca vs H Liebenstein, 1913 1-0
- Ruben Rodriguez vs Larsen, 1979 0-1
- Ragozin vs Lisitsin, 1954 1/2-1/2