|Haifa Olympiad (Men) (1976)|
The 22nd Chess Olympiad took place between October 26 and November 10, 1976, in Haifa, Israel. For the first time, the event comprised both an open and a women's tournament.
International politics affected the event, as a large number of FIDE member nations withdrew in protest against the Olympiad being held in Israel. In the absence of the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia, and Hungary, the US team had the highest average Elo rating and had to be considered the favorite, even without Bobby Fischer. In the end, the USA took the gold medals, by half a point. The Netherlands and England took home the silver and bronze, respectively.(1)
Also see Haifa Olympiad (Women) (1976).
(1) Wikipedia article: 22nd Chess Olympiad
| page 1 of 51; games 1-25 of 1,255
|1. M Fuller vs Dzindzichashvili
||0-1||34||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||E17 Queen's Indian|
|2. Ruben Rodriguez vs Dzindzichashvili
||0-1||43||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||A17 English|
|3. F Hoelzl vs R Beyen
|| ||1-0||32||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||C25 Vienna|
|4. E M Green vs M Stean
|| ||½-½||44||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||B97 Sicilian, Najdorf|
|5. Kolbak vs E M Green
|| ||0-1||23||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||B21 Sicilian, 2.f4 and 2.d4|
|6. K Wockenfuss vs A Medina Garcia
|| ||1-0||36||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||D01 Richter-Veresov Attack|
|7. Larry Evans vs A Lombard
||1-0||83||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||B33 Sicilian|
|8. F Batres vs R Beyen
|| ||0-1||42||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||C64 Ruy Lopez, Classical|
|9. Pedro Aguilar vs A H Williams
|| ||0-1||69||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||E52 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Main line with ...b6|
|10. B G Campbell vs I Saren
|| ||0-1||27||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||A45 Queen's Pawn Game|
|11. F Cote vs H Schumacher
|| ||0-1||61||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||B10 Caro-Kann|
|12. C Cuartas Bedoya vs J Rush
|| ||1-0||24||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||C44 King's Pawn Game|
|13. P H Donoso Velasco vs J Gutierrez
|| ||½-½||17||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||C10 French|
|14. Dzindzichashvili vs A Riccetto
|| ||1-0||26||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||A23 English, Bremen System, Keres Variation|
|15. O Ferreira vs J C Letzelter
|| ||0-1||38||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||A95 Dutch, Stonewall|
|16. C Gamarra Caceres vs J L Seret
|| ||0-1||56||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||B33 Sicilian|
|17. R Goldenberg vs A Bogda
|| ||0-1||55||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||A00 Uncommon Opening|
|18. A Gomez Abad vs A Grinza
|| ||0-1||26||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||B00 Uncommon King's Pawn Opening|
|19. E Grumer vs A Medina Garcia
|| ||0-1||40||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||E62 King's Indian, Fianchetto|
|20. R Hoen vs P Rasmussen
|| ||1-0||33||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||C55 Two Knights Defense|
|21. W Hoyt vs J M Bellon Lopez
|| ||0-1||42||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||B21 Sicilian, 2.f4 and 2.d4|
|22. K Janetschek vs E Laine
|| ||1-0||25||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||E65 King's Indian, Fianchetto, Yugoslav, 7.O-O|
|23. I Kanko vs H Pickering
|| ||1-0||31||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||A42 Modern Defense, Averbakh System|
|24. B Kernan vs Unzicker
|| ||½-½||25||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||C45 Scotch Game|
|25. A Malagon vs M Wahlbom
|| ||0-1||36||1976||Haifa Olympiad (Men)||A61 Benoni|
| page 1 of 51; games 1-25 of 1,255
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any gratuitous name-calling
of any members—including Admin and Owners—or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC