Held at the Hotel Adolphus (1) in Dallas 30 November - 16 December 1957. David Bronstein was invited, but the US State Department denied his visa application in retaliation for restrictions placed on travel by Americans in the USSR. Evans was invited as a replacement.
Dallas was a closely contested event, (2) with all players who finished in the top half sharing the lead at some point. Larsen took the early lead, and remained at least tied for first until he lost to Gligoric in Round 9. Szabo was part of the four-way tie for first at the end of Round 8, but he drew all of his remaining games, so was unable to keep up with the leaders. Gligoric had an early loss in Round 3 to Szabo and Reshevsky had a late loss in Round 12 to Yanofsky. Once Larsen and Szabo fell off the pace, it was a race between Gligoric and Reshevsky for the second half of the tournament, with the two of them never being more than a half game apart. Both won their Round 13 game and drew their final game, so they shared first place.
In a side event, Pal Benko won a match with local master Kenneth Ray Smith (publisher of Chess Digest), 5½-1½.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Pts
1 Gligoric XX ½½ 0½ ½1 1½ ½1 ½½ ½1 8.5
2 Reshevsky ½½ XX ½½ ½½ ½0 01 11 11 8.5
3 Szabo 1½ ½½ XX ½½ ½½ 0½ ½½ 1½ 7.5
4 Larsen ½0 ½½ ½½ XX 1½ 01 10 1½ 7.5
5 Yanofsky 0½ ½1 ½½ 0½ XX 10 ½½ ½1 7.0
6 Olafsson ½0 10 1½ 10 01 XX ½½ 0½ 6.5
7 Najdorf ½½ 00 ½½ 01 ½½ ½½ XX 0½ 5.5
8 Evans ½0 00 0½ 0½ ½0 1½ 1½ XX 5.0
Original collection: Game Collection: Dallas, 1957, by User: Resignation Trap. Introduction written by User: crawfb5.
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 56
|1. Yanofsky vs F Olafsson
||1-0||27||1957||Dallas||B67 Sicilian, Richter-Rauzer Attack, 7...a6 Defense, 8...Bd7|
|2. Larry Evans vs Gligoric
|| ||½-½||19||1957||Dallas||E70 King's Indian|
|3. Szabo vs Reshevsky
||½-½||58||1957||Dallas||E21 Nimzo-Indian, Three Knights|
|4. Larsen vs Najdorf
||1-0||54||1957||Dallas||E94 King's Indian, Orthodox|
|5. Gligoric vs Larsen
||½-½||61||1957||Dallas||B39 Sicilian, Accelerated Fianchetto, Breyer Variation|
|6. Najdorf vs Szabo
|| ||½-½||26||1957||Dallas||E59 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Main line|
|7. F Olafsson vs Reshevsky
|8. Yanofsky vs Larry Evans
|| ||½-½||85||1957||Dallas||C90 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|9. Larsen vs Yanofsky
||1-0||81||1957||Dallas||E94 King's Indian, Orthodox|
|10. Szabo vs Gligoric
|| ||1-0||26||1957||Dallas||E79 King's Indian, Four Pawns Attack, Main line|
|11. Reshevsky vs Najdorf
||1-0||33||1957||Dallas||E42 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3 c5, 5.Ne2 (Rubinstein)|
|12. Larry Evans vs F Olafsson
||1-0||42||1957||Dallas||A07 King's Indian Attack|
|13. Gligoric vs Reshevsky
|| ||½-½||24||1957||Dallas||E55 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Gligoric System, Bronstein Variation|
|14. F Olafsson vs Najdorf
|| ||½-½||47||1957||Dallas||B32 Sicilian|
|15. Yanofsky vs Szabo
|| ||½-½||42||1957||Dallas||B16 Caro-Kann, Bronstein-Larsen Variation|
|16. Larry Evans vs Larsen
||0-1||28||1957||Dallas||D32 Queen's Gambit Declined, Tarrasch|
|17. Najdorf vs Gligoric
||½-½||18||1957||Dallas||E47 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3 O-O 5.Bd3|
|18. Szabo vs Larry Evans
||1-0||64||1957||Dallas||D46 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|19. Larsen vs F Olafsson
||0-1||59||1957||Dallas||E48 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3 O-O 5.Bd3 d5|
|20. Reshevsky vs Yanofsky
|| ||½-½||55||1957||Dallas||E97 King's Indian|
|21. Larry Evans vs Reshevsky
||0-1||41||1957||Dallas||E12 Queen's Indian|
|22. F Olafsson vs Gligoric
|| ||½-½||13||1957||Dallas||E66 King's Indian, Fianchetto, Yugoslav Panno|
|23. Larsen vs Szabo
|| ||½-½||53||1957||Dallas||D10 Queen's Gambit Declined Slav|
|24. Yanofsky vs Najdorf
|| ||½-½||20||1957||Dallas||B32 Sicilian|
|25. Najdorf vs Larry Evans
|| ||½-½||80||1957||Dallas||E60 King's Indian Defense|
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 56
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any gratuitous name-calling
of any members—including Admin and Owners—or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC