|Fencible Masters (1997)|
The name 'Fencible' is derived from the word defensible. Retired soldiers mostly from Ireland and the midlands of England were encouraged to become members of the Royal New Zealand Fencible Corps. Those who signed up would get a new life in New Zealand and were offered free passage together with their families as well as a cottage and an acre of land to become theirs after a seven year term. For this they were expected to perform certain military duties including compulsory Sunday Church parade. The Fencible scheme was the largest Government funded early immigration scheme for Auckland. From 1847 to 1852 ten ships brought the Fencibles to Auckland where they founded the villages (now suburbs) of Howick, Panmure, Otahuhu and Onehunga. Many of their descendants still live in these areas today.|
In 1997 to mark the sesquicentennial anniversary of Howick village
Paul Stanley Spiller organized this tournament. It was sponsored by the Howick-Pakuranga Chess Club and Spiller Enterprises Limited. Held in the Howick Bowling Club it was a nine round all-play-all which ran from the 24th to the 29th of March. The participants were Paul Anthony Garbett, Ewen McGowen Green, Aleksei Kulashko, Eddy Levi, Leonard J McLaren, Tim Reilly, Drazen Sermek, Vernon Albert Small, Robert Wayne Smith
and Stephen John Solomon.
The main source for this collection were the Fencible Masters Chess Tournament bulletins.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
1 Solomon * 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 ½ 8½
2 Sermek 0 * 1 ½ 1 1 1 1 1 1 7½
3 Garbett 0 0 * ½ ½ ½ 1 1 1 1 5½
4 Small 0 ½ ½ * 1 ½ 1 0 ½ ½ 4½
5 Smith 0 0 ½ 0 * 1 0 1 ½ 1 4
6 Reilly 0 0 ½ ½ 0 * ½ ½ 1 1 4
7 Kulashko 0 0 0 0 1 ½ * 1 0 ½ 3
8 Levi 0 0 0 1 0 ½ 0 * ½ 1 3
9 McLaren 0 0 0 ½ ½ 0 1 ½ * ½ 3
10 Green ½ 0 0 ½ 0 0 ½ 0 ½ * 2
Original collection: Game Collection: Fencible Masters Tt 1997, by User: Benzol.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any gratuitous name-calling
of any members—including Admin and Owners—or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC