The 17th USSR chess championship took place in the Soviet capital of Moscow from October 16th to November 20th, 1949. Twenty of the Soviet Union's best grandmasters and masters qualified or received invitations to participate in the round robin event. Twelve players qualified from semi-final tournaments held earlier in the year: ... [more]
Player: Ratmir Kholmov
| page 1 of 1; 19 games
|1. Furman vs Kholmov
|| ||½-½||31||1949||USSR Championship||D54 Queen's Gambit Declined, Anti-Neo-Orthodox Variation|
|2. Kholmov vs Keres
|| ||½-½||40||1949||USSR Championship||C78 Ruy Lopez|
|3. Sokolsky vs Kholmov
||1-0||24||1949||USSR Championship||B10 Caro-Kann|
|4. Kholmov vs Lilienthal
||1-0||47||1949||USSR Championship||E16 Queen's Indian|
|5. N Kopilov vs Kholmov
|| ||0-1||53||1949||USSR Championship||C91 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|6. Kholmov vs Aronin
|| ||½-½||20||1949||USSR Championship||B74 Sicilian, Dragon, Classical|
|7. Taimanov vs Kholmov
|| ||½-½||36||1949||USSR Championship||D95 Grunfeld|
|8. Kholmov vs Petrosian
||½-½||25||1949||USSR Championship||C02 French, Advance|
|9. Ragozin vs Kholmov
|| ||½-½||42||1949||USSR Championship||D85 Grunfeld|
|10. Kholmov vs V Mikenas
|| ||½-½||57||1949||USSR Championship||D51 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|11. V Liublinsky vs Kholmov
|| ||0-1||64||1949||USSR Championship||B92 Sicilian, Najdorf, Opocensky Variation|
|12. Kholmov vs G Goldberg
||½-½||53||1949||USSR Championship||B10 Caro-Kann|
|13. Kotov vs Kholmov
|| ||½-½||18||1949||USSR Championship||D60 Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox Defense|
|14. Kholmov vs Bronstein
||0-1||43||1949||USSR Championship||C63 Ruy Lopez, Schliemann Defense|
|15. Smyslov vs Kholmov
||1-0||47||1949||USSR Championship||B59 Sicilian, Boleslavsky Variation, 7.Nb3|
|16. Kholmov vs Levenfish
|| ||1-0||50||1949||USSR Championship||D55 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|17. Flohr vs Kholmov
||½-½||23||1949||USSR Championship||D08 Queen's Gambit Declined, Albin Counter Gambit|
|18. Kholmov vs Boleslavsky
||0-1||43||1949||USSR Championship||B62 Sicilian, Richter-Rauzer|
|19. Geller vs Kholmov
||0-1||43||1949||USSR Championship||C61 Ruy Lopez, Bird's Defense|
| page 1 of 1; 19 games
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any gratuitous name-calling
of any members—including Admin and Owners—or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC