In May of 2000 the Bosnian city of Sarajevo held its 30th Jubilee international chess tournament. Twelve top grandmasters, including the World Champion, participated in the round robin event, including (in order of Elo): Garry Kasparov (2851), Alexey Shirov (2751), Alexander Morozevich (2748), Michael Adams (2715), Evgeny Bareev (2709), Veselin Topalov (2702), Nigel Short (2683), Mikhail Gurevich (2680), Sergei Movsesian (2668), Kiril Georgiev (2667), Ivan Sokolov (2637), and Etienne Bacrot (2594). Kasparov won his second consecutive Sarajevo tournament, undefeated with 8.5/11, earning wins against half the field. The final standings and crosstable are as follows:
Original collection: Game Collection: Sarajevo 2000, by User: suenteus po 147.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2
01 Kasparov * = = = = 1 1 1 = 1 1 1 8½
02 Shirov = * = = 1 1 = 0 1 1 1 1 8
03 Adams = = * 1 1 = 1 = = = 1 1 8
04 Morozevich = = 0 * = = 1 0 = 1 1 = 6
05 Topalov = 0 0 = * = = = 1 = 1 1 6
06 Bareev 0 0 = = = * = = 1 1 = 1 6
07 Sokolov 0 = 0 0 = = * 1 = = = = 4½
08 Movsesian 0 1 = 1 = = 0 * = 0 0 0 4
09 Short = 0 = = 0 0 = = * = = = 4
10 Georgiev 0 0 = 0 = 0 = 1 = * = = 4
11 Gurevich 0 0 0 0 0 = = 1 = = * 1 4
12 Bacrot 0 0 0 = 0 0 = 1 = = 0 * 3
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 66
|1. I Sokolov vs Bareev
||½-½||30||2000||Sarajevo||A57 Benko Gambit|
|2. Short vs Topalov
|3. Shirov vs Adams
|| ||½-½||40||2000||Sarajevo||C42 Petrov Defense|
|4. Morozevich vs M Gurevich
|| ||1-0||27||2000||Sarajevo||B07 Pirc|
|5. Kasparov vs Bacrot
||1-0||39||2000||Sarajevo||C45 Scotch Game|
|6. Kiril D Georgiev vs Movsesian
|| ||1-0||70||2000||Sarajevo||D15 Queen's Gambit Declined Slav|
|7. Topalov vs Morozevich
|8. I Sokolov vs Short
|| ||½-½||19||2000||Sarajevo||D35 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|9. M Gurevich vs Shirov
||0-1||58||2000||Sarajevo||A29 English, Four Knights, Kingside Fianchetto|
|10. Bareev vs Movsesian
|| ||½-½||23||2000||Sarajevo||A37 English, Symmetrical|
|11. Bacrot vs Kiril D Georgiev
|| ||½-½||37||2000||Sarajevo||E21 Nimzo-Indian, Three Knights|
|12. Adams vs Kasparov
||½-½||47||2000||Sarajevo||B90 Sicilian, Najdorf|
|13. Shirov vs Topalov
|14. Short vs Bareev
|15. Movsesian vs Bacrot
|| ||0-1||61||2000||Sarajevo||C91 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
|16. Kasparov vs M Gurevich
|17. Kiril D Georgiev vs Adams
|| ||½-½||22||2000||Sarajevo||E34 Nimzo-Indian, Classical, Noa Variation|
|18. Morozevich vs I Sokolov
||1-0||38||2000||Sarajevo||C34 King's Gambit Accepted|
|19. Short vs Morozevich
|| ||½-½||22||2000||Sarajevo||C01 French, Exchange|
|20. Topalov vs Kasparov
||½-½||19||2000||Sarajevo||D43 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|21. I Sokolov vs Shirov
|| ||½-½||27||2000||Sarajevo||D18 Queen's Gambit Declined Slav, Dutch|
|22. M Gurevich vs Kiril D Georgiev
|| ||½-½||62||2000||Sarajevo||D37 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|23. Bareev vs Bacrot
||1-0||38||2000||Sarajevo||A29 English, Four Knights, Kingside Fianchetto|
|24. Adams vs Movsesian
|| ||½-½||41||2000||Sarajevo||B47 Sicilian, Taimanov (Bastrikov) Variation|
|25. Morozevich vs Bareev
||½-½||30||2000||Sarajevo||B12 Caro-Kann Defense|
| page 1 of 3; games 1-25 of 66
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any gratuitous name-calling
of any members—including Admin and Owners—or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC