|Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal (1965)|
Mikhail Tal and Lajos Portisch qualified from the Amsterdam Interzonal (1964) to meet in this quarterfinal match. (1) The match would be 10 games in length, and adjourned games would be played off after every two days. Tal's second Alexander Koblents advised him to avoid playing the King's Indian, believing that Portisch would prepare thoroughly against it. Both agreed that Tal should only open 1.e4. (2) Tal had better recent results before the match, and might therefore be considered the favorite, but Portisch's biographer Egon Varnusz notes that "On the other hand their styles conflicted as fire and water and this gave the young Hungarian champion a certain and by no means negligible chance." (3)
Bled, Yugoslavia (Slovenia), 26 June - 10 July 1965 (4)
Tal believed the 5th game marked a decisive turning point in the match. Trailing by one game, Portisch sealed 41.e4! in this adjourned position, with good winning chances:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1 GM Tal ½ 1 0 1 ½ ½ 1 1 5½
2 GM Portisch ½ 0 1 0 ½ ½ 0 0 2½
click for larger view
This position was analyzed for two days, and was even published in Riga Shakhmaty before the ending was played out. Portisch missed a win, and according to Tal, played without energy in games 7 and 8, allowing Tal to win both, and the match.2 Tal now advanced to the Tal - Larsen Candidates Semifinal (1965).
(1) Wikipedia article: Candidates Tournament.
(2) Mikhail Tal, The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal (Cadogan 1997), pp. 297-299.
(3) Egon Varnusz, The Selected Games of Lajos Portisch (Arco 1979), p. 61.
(4) Games dated from Alexander Khalifman (ed.), Mikhail Tal Games II 1963-1972 (Chess Stars 1995), pp. 101-107; Di Felice, Chess Results 1964-1967, p. 206.
Original collection: Game Collection: WCC Index (Tal-Portisch 1965), by User: Hesam7; Introduction written and sourced by User: WCC Editing Project.
| page 1 of 1; 8 games
|1. Portisch vs Tal
||½-½||83||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||A38 English, Symmetrical|
|2. Tal vs Portisch
||1-0||27||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||B10 Caro-Kann|
|3. Portisch vs Tal
||1-0||44||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||E52 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Main line with ...b6|
|4. Tal vs Portisch
||1-0||32||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||C11 French|
|5. Portisch vs Tal
||½-½||56||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||E56 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Main line with 7...Nc6|
|6. Tal vs Portisch
|| ||½-½||40||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||B11 Caro-Kann, Two Knights, 3...Bg4|
|7. Portisch vs Tal
||0-1||41||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||E50 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3 O-O 5.Nf3, without ...d5|
|8. Tal vs Portisch
||1-0||47||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||C92 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any gratuitous name-calling
of any members—including Admin and Owners—or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC