The 43rd Hastings Christmas Chess Festival was held at the end of the year 1967. Ten grandmasters and masters were invited to compete in a round robin format at the premier event. The notable participants of this edition included Soviet grandmasters Leonid Stein and Alexey Suetin, World Junior Champion Julio Kaplan, Czechoslovakian grandmaster Vlastimil Hort, Romanian grandmaster Florin Gheorghiu, and British junior master Raymond Keene. The final saw a four way tie for first place among Hort, Gheorghiu, Stein, and Suetin. They each finished undefeated with +3, a full point ahead of Yugoslavian master Predrag Ostojic.
Hastings, England, 27 December 1967 - 5 January 1968
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
=1 Hort * ½ ½ ½ 1 ½ 1 ½ 1 ½ 6
=1 Gheorghiu ½ * ½ ½ ½ 1 ½ 1 ½ 1 6
=1 Stein ½ ½ * ½ ½ ½ ½ 1 1 1 6
=1 Suetin ½ ½ ½ * ½ ½ ½ 1 1 1 6
5 Ostojic 0 ½ ½ ½ * ½ 1 ½ 1 ½ 5
6 Kaplan ½ 0 ½ ½ ½ * ½ ½ ½ ½ 4
7 Whiteley 0 ½ ½ ½ 0 ½ * ½ ½ ½ 3½
=8 Keene ½ 0 0 0 ½ ½ ½ * ½ ½ 3
=8 Hartston 0 ½ 0 0 0 ½ ½ ½ * 1 3
10 Basman ½ 0 0 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ 0 * 2½
Previous: Hastings (1966/67). Next: Hastings (1968/69).
Original collection: Game Collection: Hastings 1967/68, by User: suenteus po 147.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. Hartston vs M Basman
|| ||1-0||67||1967||Hastings 1967/68||B07 Pirc|
|2. Keene vs Hort
|| ||½-½||20||1967||Hastings 1967/68||A04 Reti Opening|
|3. P Ostojic vs Suetin
|| ||½-½||84||1967||Hastings 1967/68||B47 Sicilian, Taimanov (Bastrikov) Variation|
|4. A J Whiteley vs J Kaplan
|| ||½-½||86||1967||Hastings 1967/68||A56 Benoni Defense|
|5. Gheorghiu vs Stein
|| ||½-½||18||1967||Hastings 1967/68||E71 King's Indian, Makagonov System (5.h3)|
|6. Stein vs P Ostojic
|| ||½-½||58||1967||Hastings 1967/68||B35 Sicilian, Accelerated Fianchetto, Modern Variation with Bc4|
|7. Hort vs A J Whiteley
|| ||1-0||32||1967||Hastings 1967/68||D48 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav, Meran|
|8. J Kaplan vs Gheorghiu
|| ||0-1||29||1967||Hastings 1967/68||B61 Sicilian, Richter-Rauzer, Larsen Variation, 7.Qd2|
|9. M Basman vs Suetin
|| ||0-1||41||1967||Hastings 1967/68||A40 Queen's Pawn Game|
|10. Hartston vs Keene
|| ||½-½||12||1967||Hastings 1967/68||B06 Robatsch|
|11. A J Whiteley vs Hartston
|| ||½-½||21||1967||Hastings 1967/68||D76 Neo-Grunfeld, 6.cd Nxd5, 7.O-O Nb6|
|12. Gheorghiu vs Hort
|| ||½-½||14||1967||Hastings 1967/68||D42 Queen's Gambit Declined, Semi-Tarrasch, 7.Bd3|
|13. Suetin vs Stein
|| ||½-½||21||1967||Hastings 1967/68||E98 King's Indian, Orthodox, Taimanov, 9.Ne1|
|14. Keene vs M Basman
|| ||½-½||34||1967||Hastings 1967/68||A07 King's Indian Attack|
|15. P Ostojic vs J Kaplan
|| ||½-½||25||1967||Hastings 1967/68||B32 Sicilian|
|16. J Kaplan vs Suetin
|| ||½-½||40||1967||Hastings 1967/68||B48 Sicilian, Taimanov Variation|
|17. Hort vs P Ostojic
|| ||1-0||36||1967||Hastings 1967/68||A07 King's Indian Attack|
|18. Hartston vs Gheorghiu
|| ||½-½||32||1967||Hastings 1967/68||B04 Alekhine's Defense, Modern|
|19. Keene vs A J Whiteley
|| ||½-½||26||1967||Hastings 1967/68||A07 King's Indian Attack|
|20. M Basman vs Stein
|| ||0-1||43||1967||Hastings 1967/68||B56 Sicilian|
|21. A J Whiteley vs M Basman
|| ||½-½||21||1967||Hastings 1967/68||D30 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|22. Suetin vs Hort
|| ||½-½||22||1967||Hastings 1967/68||A37 English, Symmetrical|
|23. Gheorghiu vs Keene
||1-0||27||1967||Hastings 1967/68||A29 English, Four Knights, Kingside Fianchetto|
|24. P Ostojic vs Hartston
||1-0||50||1967||Hastings 1967/68||B89 Sicilian|
|25. Stein vs J Kaplan
|| ||½-½||27||1967||Hastings 1967/68||A39 English, Symmetrical, Main line with d4|
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC