| page 1 of 1; 9 games
|Jan-25-17|| ||Zenchess: This match deserves to be better known. In spite of Korchnoi's margin, the reality is that Petrosian missed either outright wins (especially games 4 & 5) or chances to secure an advantage in every single game from 3 to 7. The one game where Korchnoi completely outplays Petrosian is game 9. I've never seen a match where one side had so many chances to put the other side away and couldn't do it.|
|Jan-25-17|| ||ZonszeinP: Petrosian found it very hard to play Korchnoi in the last years.
Not from the purely chess aspect,
|Jan-25-17|| ||Petrosianic: All the Soviets did. Losing to Korchnoi meant unpleasant repercussions at home. But another factor is that Petrosian was in his 50's when this match was played, while Korchnoi, though almost as old, was at his peak.|
|Jan-25-17|| ||perfidious: It was a far different kettle of fish for Petrosian, once he was sacked as editor of <64>, no longer the doyen of the Soviet chess press, and bottom rail was on top in his matches with Korchnoi, the more so after the latter defected.|
|Jan-25-17|| ||ZonszeinP: It was indeed quite different with Petrosian.
They used to be friends in the past.
Ended up kicking each other's legs under the table while playing...
|Jan-25-17|| ||Howard: Wow! Five comments on this match in just one day! I, too, have felt this match deserves to be better remembered.|
Petrosian, by the way, also missed a win in Game 7, according to the Informant.
Also, Korchnoi apparently missed an almost certain win in Game 1.
|Jan-25-17|| ||ZonszeinP: Чwhat a pity
The last chance Petrosian had to prove he was (always) a better player than Korchnoi
|Jan-25-17|| ||offramp: It is very sad that Petrosian died so young, at 55. His knowledge of chess was so comprehensive that I can imagine him, like Smyslov, reaching a Candidate's Final in his 60s.|
|Jan-25-17|| ||ZonszeinP: A genius!|
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any gratuitous name-calling
of any members—including Admin and Owners—or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2020, Chessgames Services LLC