After Max Euwe became World Champion, the steelworkers at Hoogovens (1) started a small chess club which held their first New Year's tournament with Hoogovens (1938). After a break in the hunger winter of 1945, activity was resumed and it was decided to invite masters from abroad, to compete with the home players. (2) The first attempt was somewhat unsuccesful because the invited Philip Stuart Milner-Barry was detained by professional obligations at home, William Winter could not get a visum, and Henri Grob had to give up for lack of a travel opportunity. (3) Thus the organizers were left with Stoltz from Sweden, who was considered by many as the favorite after Munich (1941), and whose aircraft arrived only hours before play began, and the Belgian champion O'Kelly. (3) After Stoltz had arrived, drawing of lots took place in the Kennemertheater and play started there immediately afterwards. (3) Playing time was 1-6 pm. (4) The tournament started four days before the one in Hastings (1945/46) ended.
Beverwijk, Netherlands, 5-13 January 1946
The tournament was part of a chess festival with more than 300 players. (5) Franciscus W J Henneberke won the national Group B. (6)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
1 O'Kelly * ½ 1 ½ 1 0 1 1 1 1 7
2 Stoltz ½ * ½ 1 1 1 1 0 ½ 1 6½
3 Kramer 0 ½ * ½ 1 1 ½ 0 ½ 1 5
4 Cortlever ½ 0 ½ * 1 ½ ½ ½ 0 1 4½
=5 Steenis 0 0 0 0 * 1 ½ 1 1 ½ 4
=5 Groot 1 0 0 ½ 0 * 1 0 1 ½ 4
=5 Scheltinga 0 0 ½ ½ ½ 0 * 1 1 ½ 4
=8 Koomen 0 1 1 ½ 0 1 0 * 0 0 3½
=8 Vlagsma 0 ½ ½ 1 0 0 0 1 * ½ 3½
10 Tol 0 0 0 0 ½ ½ ½ 1 ½ * 3
Tournament book: Het Schaakcongres Beverwijk 1946 annotated by Hans Kmoch (Velsen 1946. 80 p.) (not seen). Several Dutch newspapers (available at http://kranten.delpher.nl/) had round reports.
(1) Wikipedia article: Koninklijke Hoogovens.
(3) De Waarheid, 7 January 1946, p. 3.
(4) De Tijd, 7 January 1946, p. 2.
(5) Leeuwarder Koerier, 15 January 1946, p. 2.
(6) Leeuwarder Koerier, 14 January 1946, p. 2.
Original collection: Game Collection: Hoogovens 1946 by User: Tabanus.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. T van den Tol vs H Kramer
|| ||0-1||41||1946||Hoogovens||E22 Nimzo-Indian, Spielmann Variation|
|2. W Koomen vs Cortlever
|| ||½-½||37||1946||Hoogovens||D80 Grunfeld|
|3. A D de Groot vs O'Kelly
||1-0||30||1946||Hoogovens||C65 Ruy Lopez, Berlin Defense|
|4. Stoltz vs T van Scheltinga
|| ||1-0||38||1946||Hoogovens||D45 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|5. H van Steenis vs C Vlagsma
|| ||1-0||43||1946||Hoogovens||B70 Sicilian, Dragon Variation|
|6. O'Kelly vs T van den Tol
|| ||1-0||41||1946||Hoogovens||C07 French, Tarrasch|
|7. H van Steenis vs W Koomen
||1-0||33||1946||Hoogovens||C58 Two Knights|
|8. C Vlagsma vs T van Scheltinga
|| ||0-1||37||1946||Hoogovens||C77 Ruy Lopez|
|9. H Kramer vs Stoltz
|| ||½-½||45||1946||Hoogovens||D51 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|10. Cortlever vs A D de Groot
|| ||½-½||23||1946||Hoogovens||D96 Grunfeld, Russian Variation|
|11. T van den Tol vs W Koomen
|| ||1-0||54||1946||Hoogovens||D44 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|12. A D de Groot vs C Vlagsma
|| ||1-0||40||1946||Hoogovens||C82 Ruy Lopez, Open|
|13. H Kramer vs O'Kelly
|| ||0-1||41||1946||Hoogovens||D32 Queen's Gambit Declined, Tarrasch|
|14. Stoltz vs H van Steenis
|| ||1-0||31||1946||Hoogovens||D11 Queen's Gambit Declined Slav|
|15. T van Scheltinga vs Cortlever
|| ||½-½||42||1946||Hoogovens||C58 Two Knights|
|16. W Koomen vs A D de Groot
|| ||1-0||51||1946||Hoogovens||D95 Grunfeld|
|17. Cortlever vs Stoltz
|| ||0-1||69||1946||Hoogovens||D33 Queen's Gambit Declined, Tarrasch|
|18. H van Steenis vs T van den Tol
|| ||½-½||46||1946||Hoogovens||C11 French|
|19. O'Kelly vs T van Scheltinga
||1-0||35||1946||Hoogovens||D45 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|20. H Kramer vs C Vlagsma
|| ||½-½||36||1946||Hoogovens||D96 Grunfeld, Russian Variation|
|21. Stoltz vs O'Kelly
|| ||½-½||31||1946||Hoogovens||D20 Queen's Gambit Accepted|
|22. A D de Groot vs H van Steenis
|| ||0-1||40||1946||Hoogovens||D45 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|23. T van den Tol vs Cortlever
|| ||0-1||40||1946||Hoogovens||D96 Grunfeld, Russian Variation|
|24. T van Scheltinga vs H Kramer
|| ||½-½||59||1946||Hoogovens||C58 Two Knights|
|25. C Vlagsma vs W Koomen
|| ||1-0||33||1946||Hoogovens||D49 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav, Meran|
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any gratuitous name-calling
of any members—including Admin and Owners—or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2020, Chessgames Services LLC