Before the tournament started, some of the masters held simultaneous exhibitions in the Netherlands, as in Geleen 9 January (Larsen +28 =1, Ólafsson +25 =2 -1, Donner +27, van den Berg +24 =2, Barry Withuis +23 -2). (1) Of the five grandmasters who had been invited (to compete with the home players), Gideon Stahlberg could not come. He was replaced by the 67-year-old Grünfeld, who played his last international tournament. (1, 2) The participation of Uhlmann was in danger because of a quandary with his travel documents, but he arrived as promised and in time before the start of round 2 (the round 1 game was played on the rest day, 16 January). The drawing of lots took place on 11 January in the Kennemertheater where play was scheduled to start at 4 pm. (3, 4)) IM norm 3,5 points (achieved by van den Berg), GM norm 5 points.
Beverwijk, Netherlands, 12-22 January 1961
Piet Veldheer was Tournament Director (5) and Constant Orbaan was Chief Arbiter. (6) There were several other groups with about 150 players in total, including 40 foreign players from 17 countries. (7) The Masters Group was won by Cenek Kottnauer (9/9, 100%) ahead of Robert Wade (5/9). The Ladies Group was won by the 17-year-old Katarina Jovanovic-Blagojevic (8.5/9, she also won in 1960) ahead of Fenny Heemskerk and Corry Vreeken-Bouwman (8/9). Reserve Group A: Petar Smederevac (8/9), B: shared between Hans Molenbroek, Franciscus Antonius Kuijpers and Johannes Eising (6/9). (8) A second round of simultaneous exhibitions were held on 23-26 January, by Ivkov, Larsen, Ólafsson, Uhlmann, Willem Jan Muhring, Donner, van Scheltinga and Barry Withuis.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 Pts
=1 GM Larsen * 1 1 1 ˝ 1 0 1 1 1 7˝
=1 GM Ivkov 0 * 1 ˝ 1 1 1 1 1 1 7˝
3 GM Uhlmann 0 0 * ˝ ˝ 1 1 1 ˝ 1 5˝
4 GM Ólafsson 0 ˝ ˝ * ˝ 0 ˝ 1 1 1 5
5 van den Berg ˝ 0 ˝ ˝ * 1 ˝ ˝ ˝ ˝ 4˝
6 IM Gereben 0 0 0 1 0 * 1 ˝ 1 ˝ 4
7 IM Scheltinga 1 0 0 ˝ ˝ 0 * ˝ ˝ ˝ 3˝
8 GM Grünfeld 0 0 0 0 ˝ ˝ ˝ * 1 ˝ 3
9 GM Donner 0 0 ˝ 0 ˝ 0 ˝ 0 * 1 2˝
10 Barendregt 0 0 0 0 ˝ ˝ ˝ ˝ 0 * 2
Tournament book: 23e Hoogoven Schaaktoernooi Beverwijk 1961 (bulletin collection, not seen). Most Dutch newspapers had round reports, incl. by Max Euwe in Het Vrije Volk and by Donner in De Tijd De Maasbode.
Previous: Hoogovens (1960). Next: Hoogovens (1962).
1) De Waarheid, 10 January 1961, p. 4.
2) Wikipedia article: Ernst Gr%C3%BCnfeld.
3) De Telegraaf, 12 January 1961, p. 3.
4) Het Vrije Volk, 12 January 1961, p. 15.
5) De Waarheid, 23 January 1961, p. 5.
6) De Telegraaf, 20 January 1961, p. 13.
7) De Tijd De Maasbode, 12 January 1961, p. 6.
8) Het Vrije Volk, 23 January 1961, p. 9.
Original collections: Game Collection: 1961 Beverwijk Hoogovens by User: jww and Game Collection: Hoogovens 1961 by User: Tabanus.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. F Olafsson vs Larsen
||0-1||97||1961||Hoogovens||A04 Reti Opening|
|2. E Gereben vs Ivkov
|| ||0-1||61||1961||Hoogovens||A04 Reti Opening|
|3. J H Donner vs Gruenfeld
|| ||0-1||33||1961||Hoogovens||E30 Nimzo-Indian, Leningrad|
|4. T van Scheltinga vs C B van den Berg
|| ||½-½||26||1961||Hoogovens||A15 English|
|5. F Olafsson vs Uhlmann
||½-½||17||1961||Hoogovens||D83 Grunfeld, Grunfeld Gambit|
|6. J T Barendregt vs J H Donner
|| ||0-1||56||1961||Hoogovens||C69 Ruy Lopez, Exchange, Gligoric Variation|
|7. C B van den Berg vs E Gereben
|| ||1-0||41||1961||Hoogovens||B15 Caro-Kann|
|8. Gruenfeld vs T van Scheltinga
|| ||½-½||36||1961||Hoogovens||E60 King's Indian Defense|
|9. Larsen vs Ivkov
|| ||1-0||40||1961||Hoogovens||A34 English, Symmetrical|
|10. Uhlmann vs Larsen
||0-1||40||1961||Hoogovens||A62 Benoni, Fianchetto Variation|
|11. T van Scheltinga vs J T Barendregt
|| ||½-½||31||1961||Hoogovens||C41 Philidor Defense|
|12. E Gereben vs Gruenfeld
||½-½||41||1961||Hoogovens||C95 Ruy Lopez, Closed, Breyer|
|13. Ivkov vs C B van den Berg
||1-0||37||1961||Hoogovens||E19 Queen's Indian, Old Main line, 9.Qxc3|
|14. J H Donner vs F Olafsson
|| ||0-1||42||1961||Hoogovens||E94 King's Indian, Orthodox|
|15. J T Barendregt vs E Gereben
|| ||½-½||31||1961||Hoogovens||B29 Sicilian, Nimzovich-Rubinstein|
|16. F Olafsson vs T van Scheltinga
|| ||½-½||34||1961||Hoogovens||D45 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|17. Larsen vs C B van den Berg
|| ||½-½||58||1961||Hoogovens||A29 English, Four Knights, Kingside Fianchetto|
|18. Gruenfeld vs Ivkov
|| ||0-1||35||1961||Hoogovens||E67 King's Indian, Fianchetto|
|19. Uhlmann vs J H Donner
|| ||½-½||44||1961||Hoogovens||E62 King's Indian, Fianchetto|
|20. Uhlmann vs J T Barendregt
||1-0||21||1961||Hoogovens||A42 Modern Defense, Averbakh System|
|21. E Gereben vs F Olafsson
||1-0||43||1961||Hoogovens||E70 King's Indian|
|22. Ivkov vs J T Barendregt
|| ||1-0||43||1961||Hoogovens||A41 Queen's Pawn Game (with ...d6)|
|23. C B van den Berg vs Gruenfeld
|| ||½-½||34||1961||Hoogovens||C94 Ruy Lopez, Closed, Breyer Defense|
|24. T van Scheltinga vs Uhlmann
|| ||0-1||39||1961||Hoogovens||E62 King's Indian, Fianchetto|
|25. J H Donner vs Larsen
|| ||0-1||40||1961||Hoogovens||A56 Benoni Defense|
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC