The fourth of the annual Christmas chess festivals held at Hastings occurred at the end of the year in 1923. Ten European chess masters were invited to participate in the round robin event, including Geza Maróczy, Jacques Mieses, and the talented Dutch amateur, Max Euwe. Euwe won the first of three Hastings titles here with an impressive final score of 7˝/9.
The final standings and crosstable:
Game Collection: Hastings 1922/23 was the previous tournament in the city. Round dates were provided by User: TheFocus from British Chess Magazine, February 1924, pp. 31-46.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
1 Euwe * ˝ 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 7˝
2 Maróczy ˝ * ˝ 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 7
=3 Colle 1 ˝ * ˝ 0 1 0 1 1 1 6
=3 Yates 0 1 ˝ * 1 0 1 ˝ 1 1 6
=5 Seitz 0 0 1 0 * 1 1 1 0 1 5
=5 Michell 0 0 0 1 0 * 1 1 1 1 5
=7 Blake 0 0 1 0 0 0 * ˝ ˝ 1 3
=7 Mieses 0 0 0 ˝ 0 0 ˝ * 1 1 3
9 Norman 0 0 0 0 1 0 ˝ 0 * 1 2˝
10 Price 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 * 0
Original collection: Game Collection: Hastings 1923/24 by User: suenteus po 147.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. J H Blake vs G Norman
|| ||½-½||49||1923||Hastings 1923/24||B18 Caro-Kann, Classical|
|2. J A Seitz vs H E Price
|| ||1-0||31||1923||Hastings 1923/24||A10 English|
|3. R P Michell vs J Mieses
|| ||1-0||48||1923||Hastings 1923/24||B01 Scandinavian|
|4. Colle vs Yates
||½-½||46||1923||Hastings 1923/24||E76 King's Indian, Four Pawns Attack|
|5. Euwe vs Maroczy
|| ||½-½||29||1923||Hastings 1923/24||C01 French, Exchange|
|6. H E Price vs Colle
|| ||0-1||29||1923||Hastings 1923/24||A46 Queen's Pawn Game|
|7. J Mieses vs J H Blake
|| ||½-½||39||1923||Hastings 1923/24||C45 Scotch Game|
|8. R P Michell vs Yates
|| ||1-0||36||1923||Hastings 1923/24||D67 Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox Defense, Bd3 line|
|9. Maroczy vs J A Seitz
|| ||1-0||54||1923||Hastings 1923/24||C02 French, Advance|
|10. G Norman vs Euwe
|| ||0-1||17||1923||Hastings 1923/24||D61 Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox, Rubinstein Attack|
|11. Colle vs Maroczy
|| ||½-½||35||1923||Hastings 1923/24||D26 Queen's Gambit Accepted|
|12. J A Seitz vs G Norman
||0-1||28||1923||Hastings 1923/24||A16 English|
|13. J Mieses vs J A Seitz
|| ||0-1||48||1923||Hastings 1923/24||A07 King's Indian Attack|
|14. J H Blake vs R P Michell
|| ||0-1||47||1923||Hastings 1923/24||C26 Vienna|
|15. Euwe vs J Mieses
||1-0||32||1923||Hastings 1923/24||A52 Budapest Gambit|
|16. J H Blake vs Euwe
||0-1||36||1923||Hastings 1923/24||B83 Sicilian|
|17. G Norman vs Colle
|| ||0-1||49||1923||Hastings 1923/24||A53 Old Indian|
|18. Maroczy vs Yates
|| ||0-1||42||1923||Hastings 1923/24||A16 English|
|19. H E Price vs R P Michell
|| ||0-1||36||1923||Hastings 1923/24||D61 Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox, Rubinstein Attack|
|20. Yates vs H E Price
||1-0||24||1923||Hastings 1923/24||C66 Ruy Lopez|
|21. Colle vs J Mieses
|| ||1-0||49||1923||Hastings 1923/24||A25 English|
|22. H E Price vs Maroczy
|| ||0-1||39||1923||Hastings 1923/24||D94 Grunfeld|
|23. Yates vs G Norman
|| ||1-0||48||1923||Hastings 1923/24||B18 Caro-Kann, Classical|
|24. J A Seitz vs J H Blake
|| ||1-0||70||1923||Hastings 1923/24||A16 English|
|25. R P Michell vs Euwe
|| ||0-1||46||1923||Hastings 1923/24||D75 Neo-Grunfeld, 6.cd Nxd5, 7.O-O c5, 8.dxc5|
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any member Iincludinfgall Admin and Owners or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. If you think someone is an idiot, then provide evidence that their reasoning is invalid and/or idiotic, instead of just calling them an idiot. It's a subtle but important distinction, even in political discussions.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC