chessgames.com
Members · Prefs · Laboratory · Collections · Openings · Endgames · Sacrifices · History · Search Kibitzing · Kibitzer's Café · Chessforums · Tournament Index · Players · Kibitzing

Radoslaw Wojtaszek vs Simon Kim Williams
French Team Championship (2011), Mulhouse FRA, rd 1, May-26
Dutch Defense: Classical Variation. General (A96)  ·  0-1

ANALYSIS [x]

FEN COPIED

Click Here to play Guess-the-Move
Given 15 times; par: 21 [what's this?]

explore this opening
find similar games 1,564 more games of S Williams
sac: 13...f4 PGN: download | view | print Help: general | java-troubleshooting

TIP: To access more information about the players (more games, favorite openings, statistics, sometimes a biography and photograph), click their highlighted names at the top of this page.

PGN Viewer:  What is this?
For help with this chess viewer, please see the Olga Chess Viewer Quickstart Guide.
PREMIUM MEMBERS CAN REQUEST COMPUTER ANALYSIS [more info]

Kibitzer's Corner
Jun-06-11  lopium: White either lose its knight on a8 or its bishop on c1.
Jun-07-11  redcircle: how is it possible for this guy Williams to defeat super-GM's like they are patzers?i don't think that he is particularly strong.this is very suspicious.and i am not referring only to this game..he has also beaten Eljanov and Anrukh
Jun-07-11  polarmis: He seems to have some exceptional opening preparation in some lines (and of course he's also able to play the type of position that results). 12...Qh5!! here is a monster novelty. Plus Wojtaszek has been in terrible form in his last two appearances, losing enough rating points to drop back below 2700 :(
Jun-07-11  lopium: To <redcircle>: as far a I remember, a difference of 200 elo points means the higher elo has a 75% chance of winning over the lower elo rated. 25% isn't so small. Now if you do 3 times in a row you have a (1/4)*100 chance of winning. It's more than 1%. How many players are there participating? I don't find this performance quite special or suspicious.
Jun-08-11  redcircle: <lopium> chess is not based in possibilities.as we all know luck is not involved in chess.unless you disagree. as for the games.Williams beat Wojtaszek and Avrukh in a way a GM beats a 2000 patzer. As for the Eljanov game it is also suspicious because he always played the best moves that caused Eljanov a lot of problems and got in time trouble,finally blundering
Jun-08-11  belgradegambit: In the Avrukh game, Black refused a draw by repetition and then simply played poorly. None of Williams moves looked suspicious to me of computer involvement.
Jun-08-11  OrigamiArtist: Best not to let the spectacularly idiotic comments by <redcircle> stimulate discussion. Simon Williams is one of the leading experts in the Dutch defence and this sort of rook sacrifice is right up his street. Though white contributed heavily to his own demise, winning in 20 moves against a 2700 (as black) is very impressive.
Jun-09-11  beenthere240: Though move 8 I kept waiting for white to break with e4. After black got 9...e5 in first, it started to look grim for white.
Jul-14-11  Edwin M: When someone asked who Wojtaszek was playing before the start of this game, he supposedly said he was going to play "some English patzer".
Jul-14-11  Shams: <Edwin M.> Source??
Jul-14-11  Edwin M: How about Simon Williams's own blog for source?

http://www.gingergm.com/2011/07/10/...

And if you get a kick out of that one you'll get an even bigger kick when you read and listen what happened in his game against Pavel Eljanov.

Dec-03-15
Premium Chessgames Member
  GrahamClayton: Position after 13....f4:


click for larger view

"The plan is clear: I simply want to put all of my pieces into the most aggressive squares possible, namely those that all point towards White's king, then the rest should play itself! If I lose, life goes on, but at least I have had some entertainment along the way!"

Williams in his book "The Killer Dutch", published by Everyman Chess in early 2015.

Dec-03-15
Premium Chessgames Member
  JointheArmy: Incredible game by the Ginger GM.
Dec-03-15
Premium Chessgames Member
  JointheArmy: This game could also be the reason why Wojtaszek is so well prepared against the Dutch now.

He's beaten Carlsen and Caruana in it this year.

Apr-04-17
Premium Chessgames Member
  Domdaniel: Beautiful win by Simon Williams. Of course the Rook sac is unsound, but it offered real practical chances - the Tal principle. On the other hand, I've watched him lose with a Dutch in 18 moves vs Svidler. His gung-ho style has its ups and downs, but he's still one of the most entertaining players I know.
Apr-04-17
Premium Chessgames Member
  keypusher: <Domdaniel: Beautiful win by Simon Williams. Of course the Rook sac is unsound, but it offered real practical chances - the Tal principle. >

So an unsound sacrifice doesn't fill you with artistic horror? :-)

Apr-04-17
Premium Chessgames Member
  Domdaniel: <keypusher> Not at all. Usually I'm impressed by the bravery of the player making the sacrifice - plus, I try to work out a refutation in case I ever see it again.
Mar-22-18
Premium Chessgames Member
  PhilFeeley: He has a win against another 2700 - Gelfand. It took 43 moves but the opening is the same and the result is not in question.

Gelfand vs S Williams, 2012

NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply. Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it entitles you to features otherwise unavailable. Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should login now.
Please observe our posting guidelines:
  1. No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
  2. No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
  3. No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any gratuitous name-calling of any members—including Admin and Owners—or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests.
  4. Nothing in violation of United States law.
  5. No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
  6. NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
  7. Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
  8. The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
  9. The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
  10. All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
  11. Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
Blow the Whistle See something that violates our rules? Blow the whistle and inform a Moderator.

NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page. This forum is for this specific game and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.

Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.

This game is type: CLASSICAL. Please report incorrect or missing information by submitting a correction slip to help us improve the quality of our content.

Featured in the Following Game Collections[what is this?]
Black's monster Rook sac novelty on the Dutch beats 2700 player
from Charming Miniatures. Compiled by Syracrophy. by PinkLedDoor
k7 (A96) Dutch, Classical Variation, 20 moves, 0-1
from Headed to Holland Next Year with Fredthebear by fredthebear
Game 72 in The Greatest Ever Chess Strategies by Sam Collins
from Knights Add Aroma ECO A Arouses Fredthebear by fredthebear
Mating Net's Dutch Doozies
by Mating Net
Dutch
by ALL
Black's monster Rook sac novelty on the Dutch beats 2700 player
from Charming Miniatures by syracrophy
a whole rook sac!
from Games that make me love the Dutch by cowscowscows
Game 72
from Greatest Strategies (Collins) by Qindarka
Utahn games
by Utahn
12...Qh5!! here is a monster novelty
from Instant Repertoire-5 by FLAWLESSWIN64
Dutch defense - classical
by heuel


home | about | login | logout | F.A.Q. | your profile | preferences | Premium Membership | Kibitzer's Café | Biographer's Bistro | new kibitzing | chessforums | Tournament Index | Player Directory | Notable Games | World Chess Championships | Opening Explorer | Guess the Move | Game Collections | ChessBookie Game | Chessgames Challenge | Store | privacy notice | contact us


Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC