Michael Song was born in Nanjing, but later moved to Canada. He picked up an IM norm in 2015 at Nevada(5), later winning his IM(9) title.
In 2010, FIDE master Michael (Ji Yu) Song tied for 1st-3rd with Terry Song and Richard Wang with 5.5/7 in the U-12 CYCC. The following year, he tied with Andrew Picana for 1st-2nd in the (over 2000 section) of the Falling Leaves swiss and tied for 2nd-8th in the Canadian Youth U-12 chess championship with 5/7. He finished with 7/9 for a 3rd place bronze medal (after tie-breaks) at the 2011 World Youth Chess Championship U-12 category in Brazil. In 2013, he became the Toronto champion with a score of 5.5/7 (2). He finished in a tie for 1st-2nd at the 2016 CYCC(4) with Olivier-Kenta Chiku-Ratte at Windsor, Ontario and came in clear 2nd at the 2016 Guelph Summer ProAm. He scored 6/11 at the 2016 World Youth Chess Championship(8).
Free-agents Bator Sambuev and Thomas Roussel-Roozmon (they do not live close enough to Toronto's suburban area) signed on to the Toronto Dragons(10) team, which includes Nikolay Noritsyn, Gergely Szabo, himself, Kaiqi Yang, Arthur Calugar, Shiyam Thavandiran, Raja Panjwani and Razvan Preotu for play after 2016.
He accumulated 6 points in 8 of 10 rounds played at the 2014 World Youth Chess Olympiad (3) and won the U18 section of the 2017 Pan-American championship held at Costa Rica with 7.5/9 points scored(11).
References / Sources
(1) http://chess-math.org/toronto/naycc... (North American 2013 U-18 chess championship),
(2) http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/82 (Canadian Federation newsfeed article),
(3) http://wyco2014.chess.hu/gallery (4th board for the top of 3 Canadian teams at the youth team Olympiad in Hungary),
(4) http://www.windsorchess.com/CYCC201... (CYCC U-18 2016),
(5) https://ratings.fide.com/apps/23807... (norm application),
(6) http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/873 (awaiting confirmation of IM title),
(7) http://wy2016.fide.com/program/ (2016 WYCC homepage),
(8) http://www.chess-results.com/tnr239... (2016 WYCC standings),
(9) http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_... (2016 NAYCC results),
(10) https://www.chess.com/article/view/... (also see https://www.facebook.com/todragonsc... for details),
(11) http://chess-results.com/tnr290237.... (2017 Pan-American U18 (or see http://www.fcacostarica.com/ for details) champion),
(12) http://www.gambitbooks.com/books/Th... (Coached by Evgeny Bareev and coauthored the book with GM Preotu).