WGM Valentina Gunina plays while GM Yury Dokhoian watches, 2011.
Photograph courtesy of Wikimedia.
Number of games in database: 1,258
Years covered: 1999 to 2020
Last FIDE rating: 2431 (2427 rapid, 2476 blitz)
Highest rating achieved in database: 2548
+353 -211 =177 (59.6 %)*
* Overall winning percentage = (wins+draws/2) / total games in the database.
517 exhibition games, blitz/rapid, odds games, etc. are excluded from this statistic.
NOTABLE GAMES: [ what is this?] V Gunina vs Ju Wenjun, 2013 1-0
T Shadrina vs V Gunina, 2011 0-1
V Gunina vs A Bodnaruk, 2009 1-0
V Gunina vs M Sebag, 2019 1-0
E V Kovalevskaya vs V Gunina, 2008 0-1
V Gunina vs A Muzychuk, 2012 1-0
V Gunina vs B Khotenashvili, 2019 1-0
V Gunina vs Short, 2018 1-0
V Gunina vs E Ovod, 2017 1-0
A Bodnaruk vs V Gunina, 2013 0-1
NOTABLE TOURNAMENTS: [ what is this?] Russian Championship Higher League (Women) (2006)
European Individual Women's Championship (2014)
FIDE Women's Grand Prix Batumi (2016)
European Individual Women's Championship (2012)
Russian Championship Superfinal (Women) (2014)
European Championship (Women) (2018)
Russian Championship Superfinal (Women) (2019)
Russian Championship Superfinal (Women) (2015)
Chess Olympiad (Women) (2014)
European Individual Championship (Women) (2010)
Chess Olympiad (Women) (2016)
European Individual Women's Championship (2013)
Chess Olympiad (Women) (2010)
Pro Chess League (2018)
Tradewise Gibraltar (2018)
GAME COLLECTIONS: [ what is this?] r/hoodchess419 by cliffordagoodman
RECENT GAMES: 🏆
FIDE Online Olympiad L Mkrtchian vs V Gunina (Aug-23-20) 1/2-1/2, rapid V Gunina vs Tinhinane Abdelaziz (Aug-22-20) 1-0, rapid Firdaous Mayar ElIdrissi vs V Gunina (Aug-22-20) 0-1, rapid M Medic vs V Gunina (Aug-21-20) 0-1, rapid V Gunina vs Lagno (Feb-16-20) 1/2-1/2
Search Sacrifice Explorer for Valentina Gunina
Search Google for Valentina Gunina
FIDE player card for Valentina Gunina
VALENTINA GUNINA (born Feb-04-1989, 31 years old) Russia
[ what is this?]
Grandmaster (and WGM).
Valentina Gunina was born in Murmansk. Her father was her first coach and taught her to play. She was Russian Champion in the Girls’ under 10, under 14, under 16, under 18, and under 20 national competitions, and has also won the U12 European Youth Chess Championship in 2000, the U14 World Youth Chess Championship in 2003, the U16 European Youth Chess Championship in 2004, and the U18 World Youth Chess Championship in 2007. Her crowning achievement so far has been the
Russian Women's Superfinals (2011). She won the bronze medal on board 3 for the gold medal-winning women's Russian team at the European Team Championship (Women) (2011), repeating her feat from the 2009 edition of the event when she played reserve for the winning Russian team.
A few weeks later in December 2011, she again won bronze, this time on board 4 for the silver winning Russian team at the
FIDE Women's World Team Championship (2011). She scored at par (5.5/9) at the 2012 Moscow Open but then defeated front runner Anna Muzychuk in the last round to win the European Individual Women's Championship (2012), as well as adding a GM norm to her resume. A few days later at the same venue, Gunina won the 2012 European Women's Blitz Championship with a score of 15/20. In June 2012, she won the Women's World Blitz Championship with an incredible 13/15 (+11 =4), 2.5 points clear of the field (still more spectacular is her +17-0=0 in the 2010 Moscow Women's blitz event ).* Gunina qualified for the (1) FIDE Knock-out Women's World Championship (2012) and defeated WGM Gu Xiaobing in the first round before bowing out in the second round after losing to veteran IM and WGM Alisa Galliamova. She scored 6/8 at the World Team Chess Championship (Women) (2017) for Russia . (3)
She picked up her 2nd GM norm when she scored 7/10 at the
Tradewise Gibraltar (2013). In October 2013, she repeated her feat of 2011 and won the Russian Superfinals (Women) (2013) outright. She also won the Russian Superfinals (Women) (2014). Winner of the 2016 Super Rapidplay event at London Chess Classics with 9/10. * Live rating: http://www.2700chess.com/women http://chess-results.com/tnr73553.a... References / Sources (1) Wikipedia article: World records in chess, (2) Wikipedia article: Valentina Gunina, (3) http://ugra2017.fide.com/rating-sta... Last updated: 2017-07-07 19:31:33
page 1 of 51; games 1-25 of 1,258
Moves Year Event/Locale Opening
1. Lagno vs V Gunina 1-0 51 1999 Wch U10 Girls C01 French, Exchange
2. V Gunina vs K A Martin 1-0 29 2001 EYCC G12 A56 Benoni Defense
3. O Kozjukova vs V Gunina 0-1 46 2001 EYCC G12 C50 Giuoco Piano
4. V Gunina vs I Ivakhinova 1-0 80 2001 EYCC G12 A46 Queen's Pawn Game
5. N Kharmunova vs V Gunina 0-1 45 2001 EYCC G12 A17 English
6. V Gunina vs N Darbinyan 1-0 34 2001 EYCC G12 E11 Bogo-Indian Defense
7. I Werle vs V Gunina 1-0 50 2001 EYCC G12 B11 Caro-Kann, Two Knights, 3...Bg4
8. V Gunina vs I Merkulova ½-½ 40 2001 EYCC G12 E81 King's Indian, Samisch
9. S R Sgircea vs V Gunina ½-½ 57 2001 EYCC G12 C07 French, Tarrasch
10. V Gunina vs N Umudova 0-1 59 2001 EYCC G12 E92 King's Indian
11. Lagno vs V Gunina ½-½ 36 2002 Int Youth Games U14 Girls C16 French, Winawer
12. N Pogonina vs V Gunina 1-0 27 2003 RUS-ch (Women) 1st League B18 Caro-Kann, Classical
13. N Pogonina vs V Gunina 1-0 51 2004 RUS-ch U20 Girls B17 Caro-Kann, Steinitz Variation
14. N Pogonina vs V Gunina 1-0 45 2005 RUS-ch U20 Girls B01 Scandinavian
15. N Pogonina vs V Gunina ½-½ 72 2005 RUS-ch (Women) 1st League C03 French, Tarrasch
16. T Kosintseva vs V Gunina ½-½ 74 2005 Russian Championship Superfinal (Women) B12 Caro-Kann Defense
17. E V Kovalevskaya vs V Gunina 1-0 114 2005 Russian Championship Superfinal (Women) A06 Reti Opening
18. V Gunina vs J Movsesian ½-½ 72 2005 Russian Championship Superfinal (Women) D43 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav
19. Korbut vs V Gunina 0-1 49 2005 Russian Championship Superfinal (Women) B90 Sicilian, Najdorf
20. V Gunina vs N Kosintseva 0-1 65 2005 Russian Championship Superfinal (Women) A31 English, Symmetrical, Benoni Formation
21. A M Galliamova vs V Gunina 1-0 27 2005 Russian Championship Superfinal (Women) D61 Queen's Gambit Declined, Orthodox, Rubinstein Attack
22. V Gunina vs Y Yakovich 1-0 37 2005 Russian Championship Superfinal (Women) D20 Queen's Gambit Accepted
23. N Pogonina vs V Gunina ½-½ 50 2005 Russian Championship Superfinal (Women) C05 French, Tarrasch
24. V Gunina vs S Matveeva ½-½ 83 2005 Russian Championship Superfinal (Women) D20 Queen's Gambit Accepted
25. Kosteniuk vs V Gunina 1-0 85 2005 Russian Championship Superfinal (Women) B12 Caro-Kann Defense
page 1 of 51; games 1-25 of 1,258
< Earlier Kibitzing
· PAGE 4 OF 4 · Later Kibitzing>
Nov-27-16 : Thanks for the pronunciation audio. I had her name all wrong. technical draw
Nov-27-16 : Dionysius1 <cro777>. That's awful in the photo. All the blondes have the black pieces. It does my head in!
Nov-28-16 : where was Natalie Pogonina in the Blondes v. Brunettes match? HeMateMe
Dec-18-16 : Congrats on winning the Super Rapidplay event at London Chess Classics with 9/10! sonia91 http://chess-results.com/tnr251649.... https://twitter.com/london_chess/st... <Valentina Gunina has beaten McShane & wins the Super Rapidplay with 9/10! What a stunning performance - congratulations!>
Dec-21-16 : Seconding Bruce Graham <sonia91> congratulations to Gunina: http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-fi...
Dec-25-16 : Congrats indeed! Hope siggemannen <cg> can get those games
Dec-25-16 : What a phenomenal run, beating Nunn, Howell, and McShane. I found the games at the official London Chess site, but I don't believe there is video. tamar
Feb-14-17 : Happy Valentina Day! HeMateMe
Mar-06-17 : Does anybody know why her team in the Frauenbundesliga SC Bad Königshofen is listed as having lost 0-6 against TuRa Harksheide when looking at the games they appear to have won by 5.5-0.5. I assumed it was a typo, but they have entered two more rounds since and it hasn't been corrected. waustad http://nsv-online.de/ligen/fbl-1617...
Mar-06-17 : whiteshark <waustad> The r4 page said <Wertung gemäß TO, A-5.3.5 und F-3.1.3>
On a TuRa page it said that the Bad Königshofen teamster had 5 guest players in their line-up (only 4 are allowed). A pity and TuRa isn't happy about it either.
Mar-06-17 : waustad <whiteshark> Thanks for the clarification.
Apr-18-18 : She’s leading in the European Women’s Individual Championships this year by a full point going into the final round. waustad http://chess-results.com/tnr338143....
Apr-19-18 : Congratulations to the new European champ. She clinched sole 1st place with an 8 move draw. That was not much of a surprise. waustad
Apr-19-18 : Congratulations to Gunina for winning again: Bruce Graham https://www.themaven.net/chessdaily...
Feb-04-19 : Happy Birthday!!! Love!!! cliffordagoodman
Feb-04-19 : Happy b-day, miss G =) siggemannen
Feb-04-19 : There a better and more recent wikimedia pictures of her, e.g. Aurora https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...
Feb-15-19 : Congratulations to GM Valentina Gunina on her victory in the 2019 Cairns Cup!! mckmac
Feb-15-19 : Congrats GM Gunina on winning the inaugural Cairns Cup! Check It Out <Aurora> Anything would be better than the current photo of the stern bald guy towering behind her.
Feb-16-19 : The way she has her hair pulled back makes it look like she’s trying to look bald herself. norami
Feb-16-19 : mckmac <norami> Probably just the way the camera happened to catch her.
Feb-16-19 : Gunina pulls it off: Bruce Graham https://en.chessbase.com/post/cairn...
Feb-16-19 : It fits her name Valentina that she wins the February event Cairns Tourney. Congratulations! bubuli55
Feb-16-19 : Congrats to GM Gunina for winning the Penguincw Cairns Cup (2019). Scored 7/9, half a point ahead of 2nd, and 1.5 points ahead of 3rd. Had a 4 game winning streak at one point.
Feb-16-19 : Congratulations, really nice belated birthday for Valja. She played great chess and seem to put the recent slump behind her.
Hope for more good chess in 2019! siggemannen
< Earlier Kibitzing
· PAGE 4 OF 4 · Later Kibitzing>
NOTE: Create an account today
to post replies and access other powerful features which are available only to registered users.
Becoming a member is free, anonymous, and takes less than 1 minute! If you already have a username,
then simply login login under your username now to join the discussion.
Please observe our posting guidelines:
No obscene, racist, sexist, or profane language.
No spamming, advertising, duplicate, or gibberish posts.
No vitriolic or systematic personal attacks against other members.
Nothing in violation of United States law.
No cyberstalking or malicious posting of negative or private information (doxing/doxxing) of members.
The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by moderators, create a false impression of consensus or support, or stage conversations, is prohibited.
Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
Please keep all discussion on-topic.
This forum is for this specific player only. To discuss chess or this site in general,
visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members
do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors.
All moderator actions taken are ultimately at the sole discretion of the administration.
Spot an error? Please
suggest your correction
and help us eliminate database mistakes!
Copyright 2001-2020, Chessgames Services LLC