Welcome! Discuss anything here -- really, I'll take any visitors I can get!
For anyone wondering about the scary looking avatar: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front... . See, just a harmless painting...
I'm a 26 year old psychiatry resident in New Jersey, USA. I majored in computer science for my undergrad. I just hope my 4 years of learning about computers aren't wasted.
My grandfather taught me chess when I was young (can't remember when). I've been playing progressively more seriously since 2001 or so. I seem to only be playing on gameknot now (same name there and here -- http://gameknot.com/stats.pl?gansta...). I'm currently 1538 USCF after 20 games at local tournaments (all G/30, I blame my losses on the clock and bad luck...).
And now, some pages here I want bookmarked (you should check them out too!):
In case I get back into playing the Bird, I should know some From's Gambit (1. f4 e5) stuff: T Taylor vs J Becerra Rivero, 2005
Just because it's my favorite Bird (how could it not be -- it's exactly what white wants to get when playing it): Lasker vs J Bauer, 1889
A few game collections for learning better defense:
1) Game Collection: The Art Of Defense In Chess
2) Game Collection: Defense by COUNTERATTACK
3) Game Collection: Defensive Gems
4) Game Collection: Hard fought defend!
And some players on some openings:
1) Fischer playing the Benoni: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/ches...
2) Tal playing the Benoni: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/ches...
3) Botvinnik on the Pirc: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/ches...
4) Bronstein playing the Old Indian: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/ches...
Nimzowitsch vs Spielmann, 1927
Chessgames Challenge: Team White vs Team Black, 2011