|Dortmund Sparkassen (1997)|
The 25th Dortmund International Chess Tournament held from July 4th to July 13th, 1997 was a Category XVIII event. Ten players, including the reigning FIDE World Champion, competed in a round robin format. The participants were (in order of Elo): Vladimir Kramnik (2770), Vishwanathan Anand (2765), Anatoli Karpov (2745), Veselin Topalov (2745), Vassily Ivanchuk (2725), Boris Gelfand (2695), Judit Polgar (2670), Nigel Short (2660), Artur Yusupov (2640), and local favorite Robert Huebner (2580). Kramnik's third Dortmund win in a row, it was the second time he shared the trophy with no one, scoring 6.5/9 undefeated and winning a full point ahead of second place Anand. The final standings and crosstable are as follows:
Category: XVIII (2700). Chief arbiter: Lothar Schmid
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
1 Kramnik * = 1 = 1 1 = = = 1 6½
2 Anand = * 1 0 = = = 1 = 1 5½
=3 Ivanchuk 0 0 * = = = 1 1 1 = 5
=3 Topalov = 1 = * 0 = = = = 1 5
5 Polgar 0 = = 1 * = = 1 = 0 4½
=6 Karpov 0 = = = = * = 0 = 1 4
=6 Gelfand = = 0 = = = * = = = 4
=6 Short = 0 0 = 0 1 = * 1 = 4
9 Huebner = = 0 = = = = 0 * = 3½
10 Yusupov 0 0 = 0 1 0 = = = * 3
Previous: Dortmund Sparkassen (1996). Next: Dortmund Sparkassen (1998)
Original collection: Game Collection: Dortmund 1997, by User: suenteus po 147.
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
|1. Anand vs Ivanchuk
||1-0||50||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||C19 French, Winawer, Advance|
|2. Yusupov vs Short
|| ||½-½||22||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||D05 Queen's Pawn Game|
|3. Huebner vs Topalov
|| ||½-½||32||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||D78 Neo-Grunfeld, 6.O-O c6|
|4. Judit Polgar vs Gelfand
|| ||½-½||32||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||B92 Sicilian, Najdorf, Opocensky Variation|
|5. Kramnik vs Karpov
||1-0||39||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||A14 English|
|6. Ivanchuk vs Gelfand
||1-0||49||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||D30 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|7. Short vs Huebner
||1-0||51||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||C52 Evans Gambit|
|8. Topalov vs Judit Polgar
||0-1||38||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||A16 English|
|9. Karpov vs Yusupov
||1-0||63||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||D56 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|10. Anand vs Kramnik
|| ||½-½||24||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||B33 Sicilian|
|11. Yusupov vs Anand
||0-1||32||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||D29 Queen's Gambit Accepted, Classical|
|12. Huebner vs Karpov
|| ||½-½||35||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||B12 Caro-Kann Defense|
|13. Judit Polgar vs Short
||1-0||39||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||B40 Sicilian|
|14. Kramnik vs Ivanchuk
||1-0||19||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||D45 Queen's Gambit Declined Semi-Slav|
|15. Gelfand vs Topalov
|| ||½-½||43||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||E92 King's Indian|
|16. Anand vs Huebner
||½-½||60||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||D21 Queen's Gambit Accepted|
|17. Kramnik vs Yusupov
||1-0||44||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||D37 Queen's Gambit Declined|
|18. Short vs Gelfand
|| ||½-½||25||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||B90 Sicilian, Najdorf|
|19. Ivanchuk vs Topalov
|| ||½-½||51||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||B23 Sicilian, Closed|
|20. Karpov vs Judit Polgar
|| ||½-½||13||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||D39 Queen's Gambit Declined, Ragozin, Vienna Variation|
|21. Topalov vs Short
|| ||½-½||43||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||B43 Sicilian, Kan, 5.Nc3|
|22. Yusupov vs Ivanchuk
|| ||½-½||40||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||D10 Queen's Gambit Declined Slav|
|23. Judit Polgar vs Anand
|| ||½-½||20||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||B76 Sicilian, Dragon, Yugoslav Attack|
|24. Huebner vs Kramnik
|| ||½-½||16||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||D02 Queen's Pawn Game|
|25. Gelfand vs Karpov
||½-½||20||1997||Dortmund Sparkassen||E12 Queen's Indian|
| page 1 of 2; games 1-25 of 45
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: You need to pick a username and password to post a reply.
Getting your account takes less than a minute, is totally anonymous, and 100% free—plus, it
entitles you to features otherwise unavailable.
Pick your username now and join the chessgames community!
If you already have an account, you should
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, profane, raunchy, or disgusting language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate or nonsense posts.
- No malicious personal attacks, including cyber stalking, systematic antagonism, or gratuitous name-calling of any gratuitous name-calling
of any members—including Admin and Owners—or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No malicious posting of or linking to personal, private, and/or negative information (aka "doxing" or "doxxing") about any member, (including all Admin and Owners) or any of their family, friends, associates, or business interests. This includes all media: text, images, video, audio, or otherwise. Such actions will result in severe sanctions for any violators.
- NO TROLLING. Admin and Owners know it when they see it, and sanctions for any trolls will be significant.
- Any off-topic posts which distract from the primary topic of discussion are subject to removal.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by Moderators is expressly prohibited.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts in an attempt to undermine any side of a debate—or to create a false impression of consensus or support—is prohibited.
- All decisions with respect to deleting posts, and any subsequent discipline, are final, and occur at the sole discretion of the Moderators, Admin, and Owners.
- Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Keep all discussion on the topic of this page.
This forum is for this specific tournament and nothing else. If you want to discuss chess in general, or
this site, visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors. All Moderator actions taken are at the sole discretion of the Admin and Owners—who will strive to act fairly and consistently at all times.
your profile |
Premium Membership |
Kibitzer's Café |
Biographer's Bistro |
new kibitzing |
Tournament Index |
Player Directory |
Notable Games |
World Chess Championships |
Opening Explorer |
Guess the Move |
Game Collections |
ChessBookie Game |
Chessgames Challenge |
privacy notice |
Copyright 2001-2019, Chessgames Services LLC