|Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal (1965)|
Mikhail Tal and Lajos Portisch qualified from the Amsterdam Interzonal (1964) to meet in this quarterfinal match. (1) The match would be 10 games in length, and adjourned games would be played off after every two days. Tal's second Alexander Koblents advised him to avoid playing the King's Indian, believing that Portisch would prepare thoroughly against it. Both agreed that Tal should only open 1.e4. (2) Tal had better recent results before the match, and might therefore be considered the favorite, but Portisch's biographer Egon Varnusz notes that "On the other hand their styles conflicted as fire and water and this gave the young Hungarian champion a certain and by no means negligible chance." (3)
Bled, Yugoslavia (Slovenia), 26 June - 10 July 1965 (4)
Tal believed the 5th game marked a decisive turning point in the match. Trailing by one game, Portisch sealed 41.e4! in this adjourned position, with good winning chances:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1 GM Tal ½ 1 0 1 ½ ½ 1 1 5½
2 GM Portisch ½ 0 1 0 ½ ½ 0 0 2½
click for larger view
This position was analyzed for two days, and was even published in Riga Shakhmaty before the ending was played out. Portisch missed a win, and according to Tal, played without energy in games 7 and 8, allowing Tal to win both, and the match.2 Tal now advanced to the Tal - Larsen Candidates Semifinal (1965).
(1) Wikipedia article: Candidates Tournament.
(2) Mikhail Tal, The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal (Cadogan 1997), pp. 297-299.
(3) Egon Varnusz, The Selected Games of Lajos Portisch (Arco 1979), p. 61.
(4) Games dated from Alexander Khalifman (ed.), Mikhail Tal Games II 1963-1972 (Chess Stars 1995), pp. 101-107; Di Felice, Chess Results 1964-1967, p. 206.
Original collection: Game Collection: WCC Index (Tal-Portisch 1965), by User: Hesam7; Introduction written and sourced by User: WCC Editing Project.
| page 1 of 1; 8 games
|1. Portisch vs Tal
||½-½||83||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||A38 English, Symmetrical|
|2. Tal vs Portisch
||1-0||27||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||B10 Caro-Kann|
|3. Portisch vs Tal
||1-0||44||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||E52 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Main line with ...b6|
|4. Tal vs Portisch
||1-0||32||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||C11 French|
|5. Portisch vs Tal
||½-½||56||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||E56 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3, Main line with 7...Nc6|
|6. Tal vs Portisch
|| ||½-½||40||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||B11 Caro-Kann, Two Knights, 3...Bg4|
|7. Portisch vs Tal
||0-1||41||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||E50 Nimzo-Indian, 4.e3 O-O 5.Nf3, without ...d5|
|8. Tal vs Portisch
||1-0||47||1965||Tal - Portisch Candidates Quarterfinal||C92 Ruy Lopez, Closed|
There is no kibitzing for this page, yet.
Spot an error? Please suggest your correction and help us eliminate database mistakes!
NOTE: Create an account today
to post replies and access other powerful features which are available only to registered users.
Becoming a member is free, anonymous, and takes less than 1 minute! If you already have a username,
then simply login login under your username now to join the discussion.
Please observe our posting guidelines:
- No obscene, racist, sexist, or profane language.
- No spamming, advertising, duplicate, or gibberish posts.
- No vitriolic or systematic personal attacks against other members.
- Nothing in violation of United States law.
- No cyberstalking or malicious posting of negative or private information (doxing/doxxing) of members.
- No trolling.
- The use of "sock puppet" accounts to circumvent disciplinary action taken by moderators, create a false impression of consensus or support, or stage conversations, is prohibited.
Please try to maintain a semblance of civility at all times.
NOTE: Please keep all discussion on-topic.
This forum is for this specific tournament only. To discuss chess or this site in general,
visit the Kibitzer's Café.
Messages posted by Chessgames members
do not necessarily represent the views of Chessgames.com, its employees, or sponsors.
All moderator actions taken are ultimately at the sole discretion of the administration.
Copyright 2001-2021, Chessgames Services LLC